Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am certain the club will draft two of the best players.

None of us have any idea who the club rates as the best player. It has consistently stated it rates the top 7 highly.

In Phantom Drafts and BF discusses, there is a tendency to go for players perceived to be “match winners” especially if they resemble a current star player, and even more so if they are a goal kicker.
I’m mates with a bloke whose son plays NBL at a very unappealing city, but he met a girl & he is a 36er for good.
He’s a starting centre & was only ok for his local club in an SBL final they won.
Funny thing is the whole family are HUGE wc fans, despite being located in Canning Vale, but despite that handicap, they are ok.
Long story short.
Get the boys hooked up with a local girl WITH STRONG ROOTS, not one who wants to fly away.
Or a guy partner of course. Oops, old dude here didn’t think of that
adelaide is a prettying boring place

I think that is the point you shuffle the cards and we come up with two very decent midfielders. I’m glad the talk of the talls (Brander, Naughton, Hayes) at our second pick has finally disappeared.

Reckon Rayner will play for Carlton in 2018.

Best chance of him staying with freo is at pick 5. If blues and north both pass reality check.

Lions fan, I come in peace.

I’ve read the last couple of pages. So you guys have no rumour of an inside word from your club?

For what it’s worth, the rumour on our board is.

For a long time it was thought to be a 3 horse race until about a month a go, Dow, LDU and Rayner. Then the Brayshaw talk began when Canole dropped his name when interviewed at the draft combine. (Same time last year Canole mentioned the club was confident McCluggage would be available at pick 3).

Shortly after, a poster dropped the following;

Dow is considered a flight risk as he doesn’t want to move interstate.

The club have concerns over LDU’s drive, and does he want “it” enough.

So it’s down to two, Rayner and Brayshaw.

Rayner’s endurance is the concern, and if this might be genetic. (Personally I’m surprised the club hasn’t had a proper VO2 Max test done).

Brayshaw essentially ticks all the boxes. He’s a professional, high character, leader, not considered a go home kid, and good skills across the board.

Just from a Lions fans perspective Brayshaw isn’t a sexy pick. But more than a few of the itk fans have really started “selling” Brayshaw as the pick in the last two days.

Apparently the club is waiting on Brayshaw to finish his last exam on Monday before talking to the kids one last time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve read the last couple of pages. So you guys have no rumour of an inside word from your club?

For a long time it was thought to be a 3 horse race until about a month a go, Dow, LDU and Rayner. Then the Brayshaw talk began when Canole dropped his name when interviewed at the draft combine. (Same time last year Canole mentioned the club was confident McCluggage would be available at pick 3).

Rayner’s endurance is the concern, and if this might be genetic. (Personally I’m surprised the club hasn’t had a proper VO2 Max test done).

Brayshaw essentially ticks all the boxes. He’s a professional, high character, leader, not considered a go home kid, and good skills across the board.

Just from a Lions fans perspective Brayshaw isn’t a sexy pick. But more than a few of the itk fans have really started “selling” Brayshaw as the pick in the last two days.

Apparently the club is waiting on Brayshaw to finish his last exam on Monday before talking to the kids one last time.
Thanks for summarising and passing on.

It's interesting how Brayshaw has climbed the ranks, much like Taranto did last year late. Us on the freo board thought he would be considered a slight reach @5 (even though most would have been over the moon at him there) but now in the space of a week,we would be lucky to get him @5. It's funny how it all works out.

The next couple of days before the draft will throw up even more speculation and hypotheticals, however what I know is, the freo list management team aren't telling anyone what their thinking.

Thanks for summarising and passing on.

It's interesting how Brayshaw has climbed the ranks, much like Taranto did last year late. Us on the freo board thought he would be considered a slight reach @5 (even though most would have been over the moon at him there) but now in the space of a week,we would be lucky to get him @5. It's funny how it all works out.

The next couple of days before the draft will throw up even more speculation and hypotheticals, however what I know is, the freo list management team aren't telling anyone what their thinking.
Yeah can understand Freo not letting anything leak, as who goes pick 1 and who Freo drafts at pick 2 will have a knock on effect for pick 5.

Surprised there isn't more talk of Cerra at pick 5 here. LDU and Cerra would be a dream draft for a lot of the draft pundits.

Personally I'm an LDU (and Worpel) fan.

Yeah can understand Freo not letting anything leak, as who goes pick 1 and who Freo drafts at pick 2 will have a knock on effect for pick 5.

Surprised there isn't more talk of Cerra at pick 5 here. LDU and Cerra would be a dream draft for a lot of the draft pundits.

Personally I'm an LDU (and Worpel) fan.
Recently some rumours have come out about Cerra and his GF (potential homesickness) which has spooked some I think. He looks classy though.

I was really big on Stephenson early, back when we only had pick 5. Now I'm more towards Rayner and someone like Fogarty/Brayshaw, but in saying that LDU and Fyfe would be immense. I personally find it hard to keep the same two options for longer than a day!

With 2 and 5 it'll take a big mistake to make me unhappy. Either way we go I'll trust the recruiters in their decision.

Surely the club is pretty close to locking down their top 5 (maybe a few last interviews next week - but we don’t usually seem to do that), and just draft whoever is available at 2&5.

They should be spending 90% of their time working out who to take with the other 6 picks.

What I have noticed in recent years is that clubs at the top of the draft have focussed on just getting the player with the highest odds (or the least likely to be a bust) of just making it rather than factoring in the ceiling of the player. Brayshaw has the good athletic results, the pyschological results, and has played consistently good footy when available. For mine though, there are a number of others who have a high probability of being slightly to a lot better. It is a risk mitigation approach rather than trying to maximize the value out of the pick, which as a supporter can be frustrating.

Having said that, Fremantles recruiting at the top end (Hill, Morabito, Logue) has tended to factor in a keen awareness of athletic potential where paired with football ability and less the consistency to date.

There are plenty of rumours Cerra hasn't interviewed well, especially with the interstate recruiters ;) So possibly attitude issues/FIGJAM? Vic based girlfriend. Injury issues. In TAC Cup only a 50% kicking efficiency (only Stephenson's was worse of the top prospects) and 65.5% handball efficiency (worst) and although better at u18s his disposal numbers dropped by almost 10 kicks per game. He's good at a lot of things but too much risk in all that imo. I'm hoping/expecting we are looking at other options instead.

Pretty much every combination of those top prospects seems a dream draft. UDL & Brayshaw, Rayner & Dow, Dow & Stephenson, UDL & Dow, Rayner & Fogarty, UDL & Fogarty, Rayner & UDL etc - We might all have preferences but I don't think we can go too wrong. The last time we had two top 5 picks was 1999 and we picked Haselby and Pavlich so the expectations are pretty high :)

Has there been any chatter about Stephenson at pick 1? He's a Lions fan, seems like a good kid and imo wouldn't look out of place at pick 1 (think the likes of Whitfield and Scully that have gone before him).
Brayshaw is an interesting one, I didn't rate him top 10 a few weeks ago but he absolutely dominated at the combine. I think Freo (and most clubs) do place a lot of emphasis on combine results. If it wasn't for Griffen Logue getting top marks at the 2016 combine, I don't think he would've been taken so early on his match day performances alone... So yeah, it seems unlikely he'll be taken any later than pick 5 anymore.

There are plenty of rumours Cerra hasn't interviewed well, especially with the interstate recruiters ;) So possibly attitude issues/FIGJAM? Vic based girlfriend. Injury issues. In TAC Cup only a 50% kicking efficiency (only Stephenson's was worse of the top prospects) and 65.5% handball efficiency (worst) and although better at u18s his disposal numbers dropped by almost 10 kicks per game. He's good at a lot of things but too much risk in all that imo. I'm hoping/expecting we are looking at other options instead.

Pretty much every combination of those top prospects seems a dream draft. UDL & Brayshaw, Rayner & Dow, Dow & Stephenson, UDL & Dow, Rayner & Fogarty, UDL & Fogarty, Rayner & UDL etc - We might all have preferences but I don't think we can go too wrong. The last time we had two top 5 picks was 1999 and we picked Haselby and Pavlich so the expectations are pretty high :)
Can't wait for Cerra to drop out of the top 10 on draft night. So overrated.

I think I’d be disappointed if we ended up with a combination of Stephenson, Rayner or Cerra. IMO pick 2 has to be the best pure mid available, whether that be LDU, Dow or Brayshaw and then if one of those is left at 5, grab them, otherwise, I’d be ok taking an ‘X factor’ pick like Rayner, Fogarty or Stephenson. I’d be ecstatic if the following played out:

1. Brayshaw
2. LDU
3. Cerra
4. Stephenson
5. Dow/Rayner

Back