Who's afraid of Rupert Murdoch? The end of an era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well! Well! Didn't think the day would come when I agreed wholeheartedly with KRudd. Spot-on, he is!

“What Murdoch has done through the concentration of media power in Australia – where he owns 70 per cent of the print media and seeks to expand that in television further – and the ‘Foxisation’ of Sky News in Australia – is what he’s already done in the United Kingdom and what he’s done in the United States, which is to create an echo chamber for far-right politics,” Rudd says.

“If ever there was a case for a royal commission in Australia on the waste of public funds and the unseemly relationship between the Liberal Party on the one hand and the Murdoch party on the other in the destruction of the NBN model for Australia, this is it.

"Rudd calls for News Corp inquiry" The Saturday Paper 18/11

Well! Well! Didn't think the day would come when I agreed wholeheartedly with KRudd. Spot-on, he is!

No doubt Meds the Murdoch Cuck will be along soon to rage.

Meanwhile , we need more Pauls
DO3zqY-VQAA4i_P.jpg

You must admit that's a pretty s**t CV

We need to introduce minimum experience standards for politicians rather than rely upon racist and nationalist hurdles.

Now I know I've been arguing against you in the s44 thread (on the dual citizenship issue) but the other part (the not holding office of profit under the crown needs refining). It stops those with actual current experience in public service nominating. The refinement should be that, upon actual election you are required to immediately resign/ divest yourself of those interests.

Now I know I've been arguing against you in the s44 thread (on the dual citizenship issue) but the other part (the not holding office of profit under the crown needs refining). It stops those with actual current experience in public service nominating. The refinement should be that, upon actual election you are required to immediately resign/ divest yourself of those interests.

What is certain and evident, attested to by the last 10 years, we aren’t attracting or retaining good candidates.

For me the citizenship and the crown issues would help but it’s just playing around the edges.

Wholesale changes to reflect modern life and importantly social media are required. Greater governance, ethics committees, managing conflicts of interests rather avoiding them and anonymity are required.

I know anonymity sounds strange in democracy but democracy should be about policy not personality. The would you vote for “anonymity - but Obama’s policies” to republicans might have demonstrated something.

I get Rudd's point about the NBN but trying to attach himself to the coat tails of the Murdoch campaign against the Gillard led government is a bit rich. A lot of his papers endorsed Rudd in the first place. I'd also hate to see a situation where the first thing any new government does is start a witch hunt against their former foes.
It is a bit odd. He said it was one of his 4 big regrets from being PM* that he wasn't harder on them. He did give them a fairly consistent whacking when he returned as PM, and subsequently still lost. I don't remember it as being considered good form at the time. Maybe he thinks if he'd done it for years it may have had more effect, but I don't think it would have moved votes. Most people on the left know Murdoch is a bad joke and most people full stop know his papers are biased.

*You should read that article anyway. Howard said he has zero regrets about his time as PM. What about the bloody Iraq War?!? And there's also an interesting comment about how Aus asked the US to save AIG, due to how much of our insurance in Aus was underwritten by them. The US did save it, at the cost of $180B.

A good start would be Murdoch apologists actually agreeing he actively used his political power

Not an apologist unless calling out much of anti Murdoch comment that is little more than cheer squad comment being called for what it is - happy to acknowledge Rupert has used his power politically.
Has only one side benefitted, dont think so, but its not been an issue for me, because I'm not a 'rusted on' hack politically. One for you Pessimistic, is it a one way street?

Does the ABC use its power? Reckon it does.
Did the Packers until James gave the media business a miss, Stokes/The West in WA certainly do.

One sided criticism of the media is lapped up by the rusted on cheer squad types.

Not an apologist unless calling out much of anti Murdoch comment that is little more than cheer squad comment being called for what it is - happy to acknowledge Rupert has used his power politically.
Has only one side benefitted, dont think so, but its not been an issue for me, because I'm not a 'rusted on' hack politically. One for you Pessimistic, is it a one way street?

Does the ABC use its power? Reckon it does.
Did the Packers until James gave the media business a miss, Stokes/The West in WA certainly do.

One sided criticism of the media is lapped up by the rusted on cheer squad types.

Oh dear. is the ABC seeking to takeover foreign ABCs? Rupert will bad both sides as long as they suck his dick. I dont mind pollies whom he attacks because they didn't

Oh dear. is the ABC seeking to takeover foreign ABCs? Rupert will bad both sides as long as they suck his dick. I dont mind pollies whom he attacks because they didn't

That is feeble reply, clearly you cant admit the Murdoch influence may have cut both ways, which lot do you barrack for? Got a gold jacket?

Can't be bothered going around the paywall for Miranda Devine's shoddy ideas, but apparently her and Bolt aren't getting along. "Andrew Bolt and I don't talk any more,” Devine says.

That's been going on since Miranda dared tell the truth and say Tony was s**t and he ain't ever coming back.
Andrew sooked up a storm at her as if Miranda had ****ed his wife !!!!

edit

Loon Pond has it posted in this article
http://loonpond.blogspot.com.au/2017/11/in-which-pond-cant-resist-truth-telling.html#.WhzO8Tdx3IU

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting rejigging of the Murdoch business interests:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-14/disney-buying-large-part-of-21-century-fox-for-68-billion/9260734

Rupert Murdoch said selling much of the 21st Century Fox entertainment businesses to Disney allowed what remained of his family's business to focus on American news and sports.

During a call with investors on Thursday, Mr Murdoch described the move as a return to the company's lean and aggressive roots.

Mr Murdoch, calling himself a "newsman with a competitive spirit", said Fox was "probably the strongest brand in all of television" and had not been hurt by losing some of its stars.

He said the new company would focus on live news and sports brands and the strength of the Fox network.

Murdoch's influence is so overrated that I pity those who always credit him when their party doesn't win because soon they will have to find a new excuse like maybe they ran with poor policies or just ran a poor campaign or just had the wrong policies or dud candidate.

Do some research
He's admitted he's elected 3 presidents 8 British pms and every pm here
Are you a troll or should I really pity you

I get Rudd's point about the NBN but trying to attach himself to the coat tails of the Murdoch campaign against the Gillard led government is a bit rich. A lot of his papers endorsed Rudd in the first place. I'd also hate to see a situation where the first thing any new government does is start a witch hunt against their former foes.

So don't act like the COAL a lition right
If exposures needed
Lets make it retrospective and get all the crooks mainly liberal
KENNETT , bolte , gordan, Bruce ,reith minchin ,abets groom, Lyons Joyce
Plenty there
Go back as far as king brown and Andrew Fraser ( Malcolm's grandfather)
Had enough of the hypocrisy

Murdoch, Reinhardt, Abbott all should be in jail
Preaching sedition at a time of war is treason
FACT

Do some research

Perhaps you are just believing what you want to believe, its not a party political thing. When the media back anyone, they tend to get elected, & Murdoch is not the only media group playing.

Do some research

LOL Rupert big noting himself and you believe him, okay now lets see what happened at the 2016 Australian federal election, the Herald Sun ran a daily campaign focused on the CFA and how only Turnbull could save it, now what happened in the 2016 federal election in Victoria, pretty much every CFA seat swung which way, let me break it too you they swung to the ALP, this included the ALP winning booths they have not won in twenty years.

The only areas that swung against the ALP were inner suburban areas which are MFB turf and much of the swing was due to continued growth in support for the Greens, hardly endorsed by the Herald Sun or a gradual increase in the Liberal vote where populations are becoming richer or home affordability forcing Liberal professional types to move to formerly cheaper inner suburbs.

Since the early 1990s the ALP have dominated the seat count and TPP in Victoria and even when Howard was in power most western Sydney seats remained safe ALP but yeah you buy the Murdoch myth, for that I pity you.

Rupert may have had influence thirty years ago but in recent times his influence is more the stuff of myth than fact. In many ways Rupert is the ultimate downhill skier jumping on the back of an issue to try and make it look like he is on the winning side yet when he does unleash a campaign without first bandwagon hoping it generally fails because his influence is quite frankly overrated.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are just believing what you want to believe, its not a party political thing. When the media back anyone, they tend to get elected, & Murdoch is not the only media group playing.

Absolutely and that is what every media outlet tries to do, sure there are times when they run on issues but I find they tend to be followers more than leaders on most issues.

A good start would be Murdoch apologists actually agreeing he actively used his political power

Who said he hasn't?

Apologists, lol. Everyone knows Murdoch has a certain agenda. The apologists are those who fail to see that Fairfax does too and the worst by a mile is the ABC.

Oz indisputably still the best paper in Australia by a country mile.

"I was a hopeless failure and have to blame someone else"

A pathetic little man who will be lucky to be a footnote in history (compared to the greatest media mogul of the last 50 years)

Who said he hasn't?

Apologists, lol. Everyone knows Murdoch has a certain agenda. The apologists are those who fail to see that Fairfax does too and the worst by a mile is the ABC.

Oz indisputably still the best paper in Australia by a country mile.

Laugh out loud. You’d struggle to find a worse press in history than Murdoch’s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back