News NBL AFL Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Davis. Silk in the post. But i remember a few from the time,(excuse spelling) Brett Maher, Sam Mickinnon, Shane heal, Andrew Gaze, lanard copeland, Mark Bradtke, Andrew Vlahov genuine talent running around.
I think you got them all right. Used to hate Bradtke for some reason. And Paul Rogers.

I think I just disliked the Wildcats and Tigers because they were good.

could not GAF about basketball, especially in this scenario where it sounds like the NBL are just looking for suckers to prop them up financially.

Was soccer ever that popular though. I'd have thought that it's increased in popularity over the last few years.
not sure about TV figures, but attendances have been fairly solid (while obviously small compared to the AFL) the last 5 seasons:

pdStF2s.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League_attendance#Seasonal_average_attendances

most recent report on TV ratings I can find, from a similar time last year:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/07bfb11bc7782e077ecc355a8686974e

In the whole of last season Fox Sports managed to attract ratings of more than 100,000 only five times in total, whereas seven of the 15 games played so far this year have cleared the six-figure hurdle.

The five games for the most recent round included three of the teams whose home games have struggled to pull strong attendances in the stadiums, but the overall average for the round – at 16,642 – was up by more than 12 per cent year-on-year.
so some growth, but not really what you'd call scary figures by any means if you're a higher-up at the AFL.

the interesting thing about the A-League though is that seemingly even more so than the AFL it relies on the big clubs (Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory and to a lesser extent WSW) to do well for ratings and attendance figures to look good.

where that becomes difficult is that this football league is quite unique in having a salary cap and we're obviously competing for players globally. One example of how this can hurt a club was Adelaide United - won the league and GF double, then lost 7 starting 11 players to overseas clubs and finished bottom the following year - and that can easily happen to anyone.

makes for an entertaining league because its hard for any clubs to dominate for long periods a la the big 4 of the premier league, but its hard for supporters when it feels like you're just at the mercy of the roulette wheel at times.

Was soccer ever that popular though. I'd have thought that it's increased in popularity over the last few years.
Had a bit of a run on for a few years there from memory. But when people talk soccer it's rarely A-league.

Had a bit of a run on for a few years there from memory. But when people talk soccer it's rarely A-league.
to compare basketball and soccer in terms of popularity I would say it goes NBA>Premier League>>A-League>>NBL

Is the NBL/36ers profitable stand alone? If not then this could bleed us. But if it is currently standing on its own two feet then I wouldn't be against it.

My personal feeling is that I wouldn't want to touch it. However we could be left at a disadvantage if other AFL clubs got on board and we got left behind.

to compare basketball and soccer in terms of popularity I would say it goes NBA>Premier League>>A-League>>NBL

From what perspective? Adelaide, Australia or the world. EPL has more global appeal than the NBA. Neither the NBA or EPL have live games in a suitable timeslot to get any mass appeal in Australia. That will never change. Aussie fans of these sports are dedicated.

Dont think the NBA or EPL are really that relevant to the Aussie versions. I used to follow the NBA because of Jordan. Haven't since. I do follow the EPL but dont see any relevance to my interest in that to AU. If the NBL or AL can ever become a common recruiting ground or pathway to the NBA or EPL then I can see it becoming significantly more popular. Otherwise it will always remain at the low end of pro sports in terms of money.

From what perspective? Adelaide, Australia or the world. EPL has more global appeal than the NBA. Neither the NBA or EPL have live games in a suitable timeslot to get any mass appeal in Australia. That will never change. Aussie fans of these sports are dedicated.

Dont think the NBA or EPL are really that relevant to the Aussie versions. I used to follow the NBA because of Jordan. Haven't since. I do follow the EPL but dont see any relevance to my interest in that to AU. If the NBL or AL can ever become a common recruiting ground or pathway to the NBA or EPL then I can see it becoming significantly more popular. Otherwise it will always remain at the low end of pro sports in terms of money.
from a personal experience at the watercooler perspective.

I don't follow the NBL but today I saw a couple of minutes of a game and to my shock Dwayne Russell was commentating!

Not sure I want a basketball team now.:p

P.S. It took less than thirty seconds for me to hear one of his Dwayneisms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow the NBL but today I saw a couple of minutes of a game and to my shock Dwayne Russell was commentating!

Not sure I want a basketball team now.:p

P.S. It took less than thirty seconds for me to hear one of his Dwayneisms.

At least a good portion of his favoured calls have meaning in that game. "From the paint".

Is the NBL/36ers profitable stand alone? If not then this could bleed us. But if it is currently standing on its own two feet then I wouldn't be against it.

My personal feeling is that I wouldn't want to touch it. However we could be left at a disadvantage if other AFL clubs got on board and we got left behind.

Barely. The 36ers have had several owners since they were privatised in the mid-2000's, and the current group (who also own TSA) are trying their best to make the club as unmarketable as possible (especially with the horrific rebranding this season).

The same ownership group also own the Lightning (we're the only team with this situation), so they'd have to be in on the deal too. That will probably rule both clubs out from considering it.

Barely. The 36ers have had several owners since they were privatised in the mid-2000's, and the current group (who also own TSA) are trying their best to make the club as unmarketable as possible (especially with the horrific rebranding this season).

The same ownership group also own the Lightning (we're the only team with this situation), so they'd have to be in on the deal too. That will probably rule both clubs out from considering it.

Yeah, its not an obviously good investment imo. I am glad we got in on the AFLW. Would have no issues on owning a BBL franchise. But NBL has always been a fringe comp and I dont see that changing. Unless it makes sense on its own, I dont see why it would be a good investment.

Yeah, its not an obviously good investment imo. I am glad we got in on the AFLW. Would have no issues on owning a BBL franchise. But NBL has always been a fringe comp and I dont see that changing. Unless it makes sense on its own, I dont see why it would be a good investment.

There might be cost savings if the 2 business models are amalgamated. You look at Essendon posting a $5m profit whilst we can barely scrape together a post EBITDA surplus and stay ahead of our major lender's liquidity requirements. Let's say they're break even and we can shave $200k off the cost structure, then that's a lot of money to us. Whether we like it or not, we're financial also runs. On top of that, it's reasonable to think that there'd be some uplift in revenue if they became part of our club. I'd hope the club is at least looking at it.

I think overall in Australia, premier league is far ahead of the NBA. NBA has maybe the majority in the 20-30 yr old male domain, but English soccer has huge support across the age groups right up a lot due to the poms who came out after the wars.

If Golden State could sell out the MCG or Adelaide Oval like Liverpool did, youd have an argument.

And arguably the socceroos are a more popular sporting team than any AFL club, and that’s why the AFL are worries. It’s not the A League clubs but the socceroos and also the increased reach of the big European clubs.

I think overall in Australia, premier league is far ahead of the NBA. NBA has maybe the majority in the 20-30 yr old male domain, but English soccer has huge support across the age groups right up a lot due to the poms who came out after the wars.

If Golden State could sell out the MCG or Adelaide Oval like Liverpool did, youd have an argument.

And arguably the socceroos are a more popular sporting team than any AFL club, and that’s why the AFL are worries. It’s not the A League clubs but the socceroos and also the increased reach of the big European clubs.
you're probably right about the NBA vs premier league overall but I've seen a huuuuge influx of interest in the former in my circles.

agree on the Socceroos too, but that's kind of to be expected I think.

Melbourne and Sydney are big markets and might possibly sustain more than one team hence a new Collingwood team is plausible.

However Adelaide is much smaller. There’s no way we start a second Adelaide NBL team.

The 36ers brand is long established, it’s hard to see them being taken over by the Crows.

I think if we do anything it would be some low risk cross promotion, cross branding. Which would be fine.

I think if we do anything it would be some low risk cross promotion, cross branding. Which would be fine.

I think this is what we did in 2008-09. Besides the 36ers getting their apparel supplied by Adidas for that season, I don't recall much else happening with this deal, besides the Crows getting a plug by the PA announcer pre-game for the 36ers.

The Bite and Adrenaline do a fair bit of cross-promotion currently - there's usually at least 1 game when members of one team get discounted tickets to the other (ie discount tickets to the 'Bite Night' Adrenaline game for Bite members). Bite night also saw the Bite supply hand clappers for that particular game too. There's also been things like Bite players do ceremonial puck drops at Adrenaline games, and Adrenaline players do ceremonial first pitches at Bite games. Seems to work well for both teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back