The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

The last two movies I've seen with my son have been somewhat grim, from the dystopian future of Blade Runner to the historical mayhem of Dunkirk. We went and saw Thor on the weekend, and I was relieved that it resembled some of its reviews: a good film, fun, doesn't take itself too seriously.

I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night.
It's ok but I think it's IMDB rating is a tad flattering.
Also started to watch Captain Fantastic. Lasted about 20min then turned the crap off.

Watched Magnolia on SBS this weekend. Not to be confused with Steel Magnolias, but the dark layered 1999 movie by Paul Thomas Anderson. Forgotten how good it is, although over three hours long. An amazing Aimee Mann soundtrack, Tom Cruise is loathsome, the fantastic Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore are in it. It’s about death, redemption, and the kindness of strangers; with a biblical scene at the end. Wonderful stuff. Catch it on SBS On Demand if you haven’t seen it before.

Anderson can be ponderous, but Magnolia for me is a great movie, three hours and all.
Loved it til the frogs!
PTA directed one of my top 5 movies of all time, Boogie Nights which is almost perfect as a movie. But he sure makes some weird movies. his last one Inherent Vice was .. umm interesting. but watchable but crap.. if that makes sense!
If you haven't seen Punch Drunk Love which is another PTA film that's on Netflix atm, and it is awesome. Adam Sandler can actually act!

Loved it til the frogs!
PTA directed one of my top 5 movies of all time, Boogie Nights which is almost perfect as a movie. But he sure makes some weird movies. his last one Inherent Vice was .. umm interesting. but watchable but crap.. if that makes sense!
If you haven't seen Punch Drunk Love which is another PTA film that's on Netflix atm, and it is awesome. Adam Sandler can actually act!

One of my darkest secrets is that I love Adam Sandler and American goofball comedies, although Jim Carrey is my favourite. I also love the stoner movies. However, these are not popular opinions amongst my friends and family, and so I have to hide these thoughts.:D

One of my darkest secrets is that I love Adam Sandler... and so I have to hide these thoughts.:D

Our revelations should really go in the confessions thread. Anyway...

I prefer to watch Italian and French romantic comedies by myself so I can mist-up without embarrassment.

Edit: Magpie Girl you may have to run air defence for me later today when ottoman reads this post

Last edited:
Is anyone else looking forward to the Phantom Thread, a PTA film starring DDL in his final film role?...

Just checked out the preview. Daniel Day-Lewis is my favourite actor, and I've enjoyed PTA's stuff, but not sure what to make of that preview at all. But I'll still watch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wife and I saw "Goodbye Christopher Robin" this afternoon - both enjoyed it very much - although apparently it's a bit romanticised re his adult relationship with his parents

Watched "Get Out" last night.
A watchable movie, not going to win any Oscars but worth a gander.
They seemed to get a bit lazy with the ending but other than that not too bad.

Mother.

Worst.

Film.

Ever.

Honestly that was the biggest pile of pretentious horse shite I've ever seen.

Hell if I'm not sophisticated and intelligent enough to get whatever the underlying message was meant to be then long may it continue.

0 stars.

Watched "Get Out" last night.
A watchable movie, not going to win any Oscars but worth a gander.
They seemed to get a bit lazy with the ending but other than that not too bad.
+1, it was a pretty awesome idea for a movie but it felt incomplete imo.

Loved it til the frogs!
Yeah Boogie Nights is almost perfect. I watched the Deuce recently which follows the early days of the pr0n industry in New York. Is written by Paul Simon who is basically God imo :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back