Now, are we good? :)

Bloody oath lol

Feb 13, 2013
Alberton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Warren Tredrea - first 3 games - disposals 4, 0, 8; goals 0, 0, 2
Todd Marshall - first 3 games - disposals 10, 6, 10; goals 0, 1, 0

It takes time for a young forward to find his feet in the big league, another preseason bulking up some more and he'll be primed for a good chunk of games.

LOL I don’t know about that but gee if we write players off after 3 games then we might as well not bother anymore

it would certainly be nice if it happened. but I'm with you, we should back Marshall.

coincidently listening to Paul Kelly's "from little things, big things grow!" as I type......it's a sign

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Warren Tredrea - first 3 games - disposals 4, 0, 8; goals 0, 0, 2
Todd Marshall - first 3 games - disposals 10, 6, 10; goals 0, 1, 0

It takes time for a young forward to find his feet in the big league, another preseason bulking up some more and he'll be primed for a good chunk of games.

If Marshall doesnt kick 8 goals against Carlton this year I would delist him.

If Marshall doesnt kick 8 goals against Carlton this year I would delist him.

Have you seen their list? We should be delisting anyone who doesn’t kick at least 8 goals against Carlton, defenders included.

Have you seen their list? We should be delisting anyone who doesn’t kick at least 8 goals against Carlton, defenders included.

I’d be in stitches watching Jonas kick a bag.

Marshall's job isn't to take pressure off of Dixon though. He's not a decoy. He's meant to be a viable target at goal.

I'm all for playing him if he's going to provide that, but if the only reason we are playing him in front of someone else is so he can 'develop' in a forward pocket while Dixon and Watts do all the grunt work that Marshall needs to be learning, I'd rather just give him games as the spearhead in the SANFL.

If we didn't get Watts, Marshall would be a lock for R1. Now if he plays R1, he's being selected on merit - which isn't something you could say about Trengove vs West Coast.
Of course part of Marshall's job is to take pressure off Dixon and doing that, doesn't mean it makes him a decoy. No different to how playing Thurstans took pressure off Tredrea.

Feb 4, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No we play him because he is good enough. He came in late and did his job of taking pressure off Dixon and if we had played Trengove instead of Impey in the final, Barass might have still beaten Marshall, but McGovern would not have had an easy job of being free to double team Marshall or Dixon depending on who was playing deep and close to McGovern at the time and Impey and Neade were running around in the middle of the ground. Marshall was more useful than Neade, Johnson and Impey in the 3 games he played and they played in the team.
Also REH now we know of Todd's mother's illness we probably don't really know what impact that had on his performance. In retrospect just playing those 3 games at AFL level and under difficult circumstances say's a lot about his character. Like you I want him to play AFL next year and as I have stated previously it appears to me that Big Charles has taken Todd under his wing.

A number of attributes of this guy that remind me of Ken!
http://www.businessinsider.com/mike-dantoni-offense-shaped-nba-2017-11
Thanks portly that is a good article.

There is a bit of the Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff and Total Football where the star player becomes more successful than the inventor with Steve Nash, the star player and assistant coach/manager Steve Kerr of Mike D’Antoni’s system having NBA champion success when D'Antoni didn't.

However the executives and non coaching brains trust set up by the venture capitalist owner at the Warriors will argue they were the ones who came up with the idea of shooting 3 pointers and playing quickly when they crunched the data and found if you move back a few cms on your shots, you increase your average score per shot by 43%. They got the right player in Steph Curry, then support players around him, then they sacked the coach and went and got Steve Kerr to coach their system who was working at the Suns even though kerr had never coached at NBA level but had the best 3 pt conversion record in NBA history.

The Wall Street Journal had a great story about the history of all this in April 2016 as the Warriors were on the verge of breaking the Bulls 72-10 season which they did 73-9. It then took all of Lebron's greatness for Clevland to win 4 games to 3, when either side of that season the Warriorswon the championship series 4-2 and 4-1 last year. You can read all of the story at this post I put in the All NBA thread.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/all-nba-thread.1044831/page-8#post-43930700

Last edited:
Thanks portly that is a good article.

There is a bit of the Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff and Total Football where the star player becomes more successful than the inventor with Steve Nash, the star player and assistant coach/manager Steve Kerr of Mike D’Antoni’s system having NBA champion success when D'Antoni didn't.

However the executives and non coaching brains trust set up by the venture capitalist owner at the Warriors will argue they were the ones who came up with the idea of shooting 3 pointers and playing quickly when they crunched the data and found if you move back a few cms on your shots, you increase your average score per shot by 43%. They got the right player in Steph Curry, then support players around him, then they sacked the coach and went and got Steve Kerr to coach their system who was working at the Suns even though kerr had never coached at NBA level but had the best 3 pt conversion record in NBA history.

The Wall Street Journal had a great story about the history of all this in April 2016 as the Warriors were on the verge of breaking the Bulls 72-10 season which they did 73-9. It then took all of Lebron's greatness for Clevland to win 4 games to 3, when either side of that season the Warriorswon the championship series 4-2 and 4-1 last year. You can read all of the story at this post I put in the All NBA thread.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/all-nba-thread.1044831/page-8#post-43930700

Yeah, we used to run a 'seven seconds or less offence' in 2014. It's what the Crows run. And just like D'Antoni's system, they failed to focus on defence too, which is why D'Antoni has never won a ring as a coach.

You can't just play one system. If I was talking basketball terms, the perfect playbook would be a combination of SSOL for fast break turnover opportunities and Triangle for everything else, which is what Phil Jackson used to run.

A Triangle style offence, in football terms, would mean that every forward can occupy every position, rotating and constantly in motion, with the idea being that the players delivering the ball to the forwards target the player with the best mismatch. Again, this is where Watts comes into the frame. You need a player with an elite kick inside 50 to be able to deliver the ball to a Robbie Gray on a slow, lumbering full back. Or a Dixon who is being covered by a half back flanker.

That's why we rotate players through the forward line heavily and Sam Gray was our number one target inside 50 for a particular game. A Triangle Offence states that anyone can be the post/target player. Jackson was also a big believer in the entire team defending.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Yeah, we used to run a 'seven seconds or less offence' in 2014. It's what the Crows run. And just like D'Antoni's system, they failed to focus on defence too, which is why D'Antoni has never won a ring as a coach.

You can't just play one system. If I was talking basketball terms, the perfect playbook would be a combination of SSOL for fast break turnover opportunities and Triangle for everything else, which is what Phil Jackson used to run.

A Triangle style offence, in football terms, would mean that every forward can occupy every position, rotating and constantly in motion, with the idea being that the players delivering the ball to the forwards target the player with the best mismatch. Again, this is where Watts comes into the frame. You need a player with an elite kick inside 50 to be able to deliver the ball to a Robbie Gray on a slow, lumbering full back. Or a Dixon who is being covered by a half back flanker.

That's why we rotate players through the forward line heavily and Sam Gray was our number one target inside 50 for a particular game. A Triangle Offence states that anyone can be the post/target player. Jackson was also a big believer in the entire team defending.

Janus' posts make sense...

Back