Establishing the International Rules Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this concept has potential. It is just not being done the right way. There's little advertising, it's still a 'foreign' sport to most, despite being played for quite some time now. I wouldn't have a clue about any of the rules because honestly I never watch it, it's gimmicky. But picture this. I'm lying down on my bed, eating sausage rolls and crumbs are falling in to my bellybutton and I cant get them out. I digress. I just don't think anyone truly cares about the series yet. Imagine at the end of every AFL season, a team is made up with some of the best players in the AFL, showcasing amazing skill and technique just as it was this year. They come up against the best Irish team and play in a season spanning 10 matches, 5 home and 5 away. The more it is being played, the better understanding people will come to have of the sport and as such this will attract more and more viewers who are becoming more involved. Both associations would need to work together to support the growth of the sport but there could potentially be huge money down the track should the sport achieve legitimacy. The AFL players now start looking further than premierships for their AFL club, the opportunity to represent the country also sounds like a great opportunity and one worthy of working towards. It just needs to be given a chance. A two game series isn't enough to care.

I think this concept has potential. It is just not being done the right way. There's little advertising, it's still a 'foreign' sport to most, despite being played for quite some time now. I wouldn't have a clue about any of the rules because honestly I never watch it, it's gimmicky. But picture this. I'm lying down on my bed, eating sausage rolls and crumbs are falling in to my bellybutton and I cant get them out. I digress. I just don't think anyone truly cares about the series yet. Imagine at the end of every AFL season, a team is made up with some of the best players in the AFL, showcasing amazing skill and technique just as it was this year. They come up against the best Irish team and play in a season spanning 10 matches, 5 home and 5 away. The more it is being played, the better understanding people will come to have of the sport and as such this will attract more and more viewers who are becoming more involved. Both associations would need to work together to support the growth of the sport but there could potentially be huge money down the track should the sport achieve legitimacy. The AFL players now start looking further than premierships for their AFL club, the opportunity to represent the country also sounds like a great opportunity and one worthy of working towards. It just needs to be given a chance. A two game series isn't enough to care.

So players don't have a pre season instead they play 11 games? I like the game but that's way too many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The X in AFL X stands for extreme inferiority complex. Like all X-treme Skaters Xtreme bmx, Xtreme motocross.....

It would still have scant regard but more people would care about State of Origin even if it's a bunch of first or second year players in it.

Should aim for a tri series with the North American GAA clubs fielding a side

And ditch the IR rules. Once it's played with a round ball it may as well just be GAA rules.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back