Season 2017 - The weirdest and worst ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was making a Frankenstein's monster team consisting of Hawthorn and Geelong during their most dominant periods (look, it's almost sacrilege), there's very few Richmond players that I'd say would be in the conversation to replace the below:

Back: Grant Birchall, Matthew Scarlett, Darren Milburn

Half-Back: Luke Hodge (C), Harry Taylor, Corey Enright

Centre: Jimmy Bartel, Joel Selwood (VC), Isaac Smith

Half-Forward: Steve Johnson, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli

Forward: David Hale, Jarryd Roughead, Jack Gunston

Following: Brad Ottens, Gary Ablett Jr, Sam Mitchell

Interchange: Shaun Burgoyne, Andrew Mackie, Jordan Lewis, James Kelly

The only Richmond players in the conversation are Alex Rance, Dustin Martin, and Jack Reiwoldt IMO. Trent Cotchin to a lesser degree, as well (minus his brownlow year, Cotchin is about equal to Lewis in my opinion - and Lewis is one of the weakest selections). Weirdly, Nankervis might be in the conversation. His lone year is suspect, though. But Hawthorn and Geelong haven't really had much luck in recruiting ruckman. Hale and Ottens are easily the most dominant (as a forward / ruck combination), but their dominance has been more-so in spurts as opposed to sustained periods. That's it.
The best team wins not the team with the best players and on our performance throughout the finals our team would match your mix and match team as we did Adrlaide who nearly everyone had as favourites.

Your comment about Cotchin shows just how far removed from reality you are.

Trent Cotchin is emulating the courage of triple-premiership Brisbane captain Michael Voss, says Jonathan Brown

Dual North Melbourne premiership player David King said Cotchin’s finals series was “as tough as I’ve seen any midfielder play for years”.

AFL football legend Leigh Matthews has paid Richmond captain Trent Cotchin the ultimate compliment after watching his powerful performance for the Tigers in their decisive preliminary final victory over Greater Western Sydney at the MCG last Saturday
“Trent Cotchin, for me, he’s joined the (Joel) Selwood-(Rory) Sloane battering ram club,” Matthews said on Channel Seven’s ‘Game Day’.

“And, dare I say Michael Voss, who was the benchmark for me, for that kind of footballer, Trent is playing like Michael Voss the last month or two.

Pffft! Lol nice try buddy. We dont care. Those jumpers are flying off the shelves. And it's always been yellow and black. Do you not know the song ffs?
The great thing is that will always be our clash jumper from now on, it’s now a part of our rich history. No more changing clash jumpers every couple of years like all other clubs do, one home jumper and one clash jumper.
On a personal note I’ve been trying to source the clash premiership jumper and can’t find it anywhere, everyone obviously loves it.

The great thing is that will always be our clash jumper from now on, it’s now a part of our rich history. No more changing clash jumpers every couple of years like all other clubs do, one home jumper and one clash jumper.
On a personal note I’ve been trying to source the clash premiership jumper and can’t find it anywhere, everyone obviously loves it.
Yeah, everyone i know can't stop talking about how much they love it. ( now THATS sarcasm )

Hopefully some of the rebuilt(somewhat) teams like the Suns, Lions, Dockers start taking some real steps this year to push for finals/top 4 and increase the level of the competition, while the Dee's, Saints and Dons push for top 4. Someone on BF said it best, 2017 was a transition year. The old empires of Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong are crumbling while the coaches hang onto the foundations of their castles, while other clubs like Port, Richmond and Adelaide cling on and push hard to win a flag now.

Hawks being a top 8 side after round 7 said it all for me. The overall level of footy is very much lower than it was pre-2015. Geelong made top 4 with Menzel as the second option up forward, Sydney ended up 5th despite that 0-6 start, Adelaide was first despite having a pretty workmanlike midfield, Richmond won the flag with some, putting it lightly, very one dimensional players in the best 22.

Tactics really were important this season because the overall quality gap didn't exist between most clubs, Hardwick nailed his while Cameron was slow to catch onto the fact that he shouldn't select more than 2 of Patton, Lobb, Cameron and Mumford/Simpson and that Himmelberg was one of the most crucial Dogs of his side, Scott was spot on in the finals yet his teams stagnant offence was exposed again by Adelaide and the lack of assured production outside of Dangerwoodcan hurt. Pyke was good but nothing special and he definitely couldn't make the right in game changes at certain times, although he's trending in the right direction with his crows. I like them for the flag next year. Longmire was again rigid tactically, he should have won the flag on paper if not for his tactical inflexibility which was exposed by Pyke, Clarkson and later the Geelong Cats who capitalised on the two most convenient matchups for JPK and Parker in the AFL, Blicavs and Scooter, to shut down the Swans engine room.

The Tigers were deserving premiers no doubt at all about that, but they won it with 1 forward and 5 negative forwards. AFL is already a s**t product of the exciting 90s and early 00s and the bulldogs and tigers brand of football promotes players who aren't necessarily good footballers but are great at pressure.
Richmond hammered another nail into the coffin of the KPP player forward of Centre and that's a shame.
You are better off with a couple mid size forwards who can jump than an actual key forward now

I would love to see rotations completely cut down so that you can't just win a game of footy based on how much you tackle because that's all that footy is in 2017. If you restrict the ability of blokes to run all over the field all game you'll start seeing more 1 on 1 contests which will in turn promote more natural footballers.

Imagine next year with little rotations Rance takes the mark in defence, handballs off to Houli who kicks to Martin 1 on 1 on the wing who throws his opponent out of the way, takes the mark wheels around and has Riewoldt leading out of the goal square with space to move.
Now it's Rance wins it on the wing because everyone is up so high, he bombs it into the 50 where 7 people contest it the ball hits the ground and tigers tackle until a turn over is had after 4 minutes and a goal is snapped. Boring.

No they couldn’t. They rarely beat the bottom feeders of their time by 100 points.

Brisbane won 3 games by 100 across 2001-04. Collingwood won 2 by 100 across 2010/11. Even Geelong who were famous for belting teams managed triple figures just 9 times across 5 years.
Your facts have no place in this thread Barry.

What were you thinking?

Richmond were lucky and will miss the 8 next year ok?

Hopefully some of the rebuilt(somewhat) teams like the Suns, Lions, Dockers start taking some real steps this year to push for finals/top 4 and increase the level of the competition, while the Dee's, Saints and Dons push for top 4. Someone on BF said it best, 2017 was a transition year. The old empires of Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong are crumbling while the coaches hang onto the foundations of their castles, while other clubs like Port, Richmond and Adelaide cling on and push hard to win a flag now.

Hawks being a top 8 side after round 7 said it all for me. The overall level of footy is very much lower than it was pre-2015. Geelong made top 4 with Menzel as the second option up forward, Sydney ended up 5th despite that 0-6 start, Adelaide was first despite having a pretty workmanlike midfield, Richmond won the flag with some, putting it lightly, very one dimensional players in the best 22.

Tactics really were important this season because the overall quality gap didn't exist between most clubs, Hardwick nailed his while Cameron was slow to catch onto the fact that he shouldn't select more than 2 of Patton, Lobb, Cameron and Mumford/Simpson and that Himmelberg was one of the most crucial Dogs of his side, Scott was spot on in the finals yet his teams stagnant offence was exposed again by Adelaide and the lack of assured production outside of Dangerwoodcan hurt. Pyke was good but nothing special and he definitely couldn't make the right in game changes at certain times, although he's trending in the right direction with his crows. I like them for the flag next year. Longmire was again rigid tactically, he should have won the flag on paper if not for his tactical inflexibility which was exposed by Pyke, Clarkson and later the Geelong Cats who capitalised on the two most convenient matchups for JPK and Parker in the AFL, Blicavs and Scooter, to shut down the Swans engine room.
And yet we will play Lobb, Cameron and Patton in any game in which they are all fit to play. We may use Lobb as no 1 ruck and Himmelberg as the third tall, conceivably we could we could also play Dawson as ruck. In your opinion the second is not the best option, ah well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tigers were deserving premiers no doubt at all about that, but they won it with 1 forward and 5 negative forwards. AFL is already a s**t product of the exciting 90s and early 00s and the bulldogs and tigers brand of football promotes players who aren't necessarily good footballers but are great at pressure.
Richmond hammered another nail into the coffin of the KPP player forward of Centre and that's a shame.
You are better off with a couple mid size forwards who can jump than an actual key forward now

I would love to see rotations completely cut down so that you can't just win a game of footy based on how much you tackle because that's all that footy is in 2017. If you restrict the ability of blokes to run all over the field all game you'll start seeing more 1 on 1 contests which will in turn promote more natural footballers.

Imagine next year with little rotations Rance takes the mark in defence, handballs off to Houli who kicks to Martin 1 on 1 on the wing who throws his opponent out of the way, takes the mark wheels around and has Riewoldt leading out of the goal square with space to move.
Now it's Rance wins it on the wing because everyone is up so high, he bombs it into the 50 where 7 people contest it the ball hits the ground and tigers tackle until a turn over is had after 4 minutes and a goal is snapped. Boring.
I see it differently, this year will not necessarilly be repeated as our lack of a second tall forward made us play the way we did, if we had a good enough second tall Im betting he will play, I loved the pressure and tackling, as for me it is a feature of our game, we still had big marks and big goals by forwards but not much beats a good run down and tackle, much better than the keepings off and coraling of recent years IMO, that was way to much like basketball, yes it showed some pretty skills as players played keepings off and racked up ridiculous stats under no pressure, with our style you have to earn your kick then work hard to get free enough to skillfully deliver the ball, at the end of the day Richmond was still kicking big scores which was something lacking in a Lyon style defence, personally I.loved it, but each to their own, nothing lasts forever so Im sure the game will just keep evolving.

I see it differently, this year will not necessarilly be repeated as our lack of a second tall forward made us play the way we did, if we had a good enough second tall Im betting he will play, I loved the pressure and tackling, as for me it is a feature of our game, we still had big marks and big goals by forwards but not much beats a good run down and tackle, much better than the keepings off and coraling of recent years IMO, that was way to much like basketball, yes it showed some pretty skills as players played keepings off and racked up ridiculous stats under no pressure, with our style you have to earn your kick then work hard to get free enough to skillfully deliver the ball, at the end of the day Richmond was still kicking big scores which was something lacking in a Lyon style defence, personally I.loved it, but each to their own, nothing lasts forever so Im sure the game will just keep evolving.

Of course you lived it Richmond won the flag and the Tigers found a style no one could stop so absolute kudos to them. It wasn't just the Tigers though, Melbourne played better when we applied forward pressure and locked it in. The only half attractive side to watch was the crows but they didn't utilize their height they just zoned forward well. Tex and Jenkins are terrible key forward inside 50. Tex is a gun chf tho. I want Hogan out of the 50 when he plays for us because even if he kicks 5 he can't tackle and pressure and that's more important in modern footy and it sucks.
2017 was more attractive than the last 7 years but its still horrible compared to the 90s and 00s

Richmond's good players have always been rated a level below the competition's best because they had no finals achievements to speak of. Now that they're credentialled, the focus has been shifted to weak competition/poor spectacle.

I'm loving that we're the new benchmark and that Collingwood is already blatantly copying our blueprint.

People forgot that the powerhouse teams will probably never come back for a while. Talent is more diluted and spread now.

Theres no more advantages of cap space and the compromised frats happening again

Probably...... never come back.... for a while???? .....right! o_O

If I was making a Frankenstein's monster team consisting of Hawthorn and Geelong during their most dominant periods (look, it's almost sacrilege), there's very few Richmond players that I'd say would be in the conversation to replace the below:

Back: Grant Birchall, Matthew Scarlett, Darren Milburn

Half-Back: Luke Hodge (C), Harry Taylor, Corey Enright

Centre: Jimmy Bartel, Joel Selwood (VC), Isaac Smith

Half-Forward: Steve Johnson, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli

Forward: David Hale, Jarryd Roughead, Jack Gunston

Following: Brad Ottens, Gary Ablett Jr, Sam Mitchell

Interchange: Shaun Burgoyne, Andrew Mackie, Jordan Lewis, James Kelly

The only Richmond players in the conversation are Alex Rance, Dustin Martin, and Jack Reiwoldt IMO. Trent Cotchin to a lesser degree, as well (minus his brownlow year, Cotchin is about equal to Lewis in my opinion - and Lewis is one of the weakest selections). Weirdly, Nankervis might be in the conversation. His lone year is suspect, though. But Hawthorn and Geelong haven't really had much luck in recruiting ruckman. Hale and Ottens are easily the most dominant (as a forward / ruck combination), but their dominance has been more-so in spurts as opposed to sustained periods. That's it.
Grigg is about equal to Lewis (Lewis the better kick, Grigg the better runner). Ditto Kelly. Cotchin is streets ahead of all of them.

B: Scarlett Rance Enright
HB: Hodge (c) Taylor Burgoyne
C: Selwood Martin Cotchin (v)
HF:Johnson Roughead Franklin
F: Bartel Riewoldt C.Rioli
R: Ottens Ablett Mitchell
I: Chapman Lewis Corey Edwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back