Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone who didn't play for Australia in the 90s would be nice. Cricket has changed an awful lot since then- how about someone recently retired? Ie not more than 20 years ago.

Then they start crapping on about how good the team was when they played followed by highlights of their career. Please!!! Stop talking about yourselves guys.

I would like

- an actual cricket journalist ( could be male or female).
- someone who is still playing ( or recently been playing- KP will do)
- someone who is funny (ie Freddy Flintoff or Bumble for eg)
- someone who is prepared to question the ACB propaganda. If they sugarcoat the disgraceful way the players were treated last winter I will spew.

Ps I don't mind Stelaker at allis good on the big bash. Mel McLaughlin sounds ok as well.
-

Michael Clarke is part of the commentary team and he's a recently retired player, he's generally pretty good and offers some good insights with less of the boys club banter that some of the older guys indulge in, although that probably won't last.

I think Pietersen, Warne and Chappell are all pretty much in the same clique opinion wise and would get pretty dull listening to them relentlessly push the aggressive cricket agenda and get stuck into the guys who don't fit their "mould".

That's not to say a there isn't a wealth of experience worthy of listening to in each of them, just that all three together is overkill.

This very discussion was discussed on SEN1116 this morning. SMSs and callers alike expressed their opinions.

One caller summed up one viewpoint
- women are taking over the game
- female boundary umpires
- and there's AFLW..."it's a disgrace"

I thought to myself hey northy whats on the SEN and RSN websites front pages?

SEN - no womens sport
RSN - womens ashes result/story

Right now RSN are interviewing womens ashes player ellyse perry.

Is it relevant? I don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get the hate for Taylor. He's easily the best of the bunch and is fairly knowledgable wrt tactics/captaincy and batting.

Healy and Slater are goddamn awful. It's like they are commentating for 5 year olds. Absolute rubbish with zero insight whatsoever.

I can't remember the exact circumstances but a couple of years ago Tubby had to commentate a Matador Cup match for awhile on his own and I think there may have been a delay of some kind as well. He did an absolute sterling job trying to fill a lot of dead air and while it wasn't perfect I was impressed with his capacity to battle on. I gained a fair bit of respect for him that day.

the problem is that dead air in cricket is often fine and doesn't require filling. used to be that you might get several balls go by without a comment before a simple score recitation at the end of an over and then off to an ad break

DAB ABC Grandstand syncs up pretty well with the 9 coverage and will be my go to again this year. Otherwise Guerrilla Cricket (formally testmatchsofa) is good for a laugh, especially if the poms are losing

Michael Clarke is part of the commentary team and he's a recently retired player, he's generally pretty good and offers some good insights with less of the boys club banter that some of the older guys indulge in, although that probably won't last.

Agree, Clarke is pretty good. Dirk Nannes, Chris Rogers and Katich are all recent players and they have good insights.

I think Pietersen, Warne and Chappell are all pretty much in the same clique opinion wise and would get pretty dull listening to them relentlessly push the aggressive cricket agenda and get stuck into the guys who don't fit their "mould".

That's not to say a there isn't a wealth of experience worthy of listening to in each of them, just that all three together is overkill.
Warne has some valid points in him, Chappell is just a dud

It would be good if they could invent a robot Richie Benaud to commentate, they could just program it with old tape recordings of his commentary, it would be better than listening to some of the pillocks they have on Ch9's coverage these days.

"...and as Ponting was walking off the ground and passed Symonds he said to him: 'you just make sure you're still there at the end of the innings'"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back