Professional Punters

Remove this Banner Ad

What form of software do professional punters use? Is it scraping/crawling software? Is that legal in Aus, particularly in reference to TAB, sportsbet etc sites?

I've always wanted to try scraping with soccer stats sites to find trends based on my own conditions but haven't taken the time nor had the knowledge to do so.

You don't need to scrape soccer. 20 mins on Google should reveal quite a few online data sources in a machine-friendly format.

One example from my bookmarks: api.football-data.org

Like most things there are paid and free services.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Using that method to find arb opportunities would only be limited by the time taken to place those bets then? Given automated betting would be a no go. What stops more people from doing this? The risk of accounts being cancelled? Could those risk be circumnavigated by placing closer to whole dollar value bets as opposed to $17.50, or $351 etc. If you take care to ensure no particular account has a big run of winning bets how do bookies assess if arb bets have been placed?

You don't need to scrape soccer. 20 mins on Google should reveal quite a few online data sources in a machine-friendly format.

One example from my bookmarks: api.football-data.org

Like most things there are paid and free services.

Thanks, but I have absolutely no idea how to use this information, have it in readable format but clueless as to how to filter. Not that computer literate.

Well I expect learning how to scrape sites will be harder then.

What stats are you looking at finding?

Yeh I have realised this in the past, hence difficulty getting started.

Well slightly more complex data than just home/away results and h2h. Chance creation, chance probabilities from certain areas, difference in pass types for sides playing either home or away. Situational factors like sides playing to avoid relegation and if they have history of avoiding the drop. Results of a side without certain personnel. If certain managers are more effective playing against certain formations.

I imagine a some of the things I'm interested in are difficult to log, and I do have some resources that provide a bit of this information, but searching through for all of it is a task.

Honestly I think a model that complex is probably not going to be worth it in terms of a risk reward perspective. There will be teams of people out there crunching just the kind of data you list full time looking too eliminate any edge ASAP

Hmmm, sounds like you are getting quite complex there. Some data sound like you would need an advanced subscription service, some sounds like 2nd-tier data you would have to derive yourself. So one way or another I think you would need some decent computer skills.

Honestly I think a model that complex is probably not going to be worth it in terms of a risk reward perspective. There will be teams of people out there crunching just the kind of data you list full time looking too eliminate any edge ASAP
If there are teams of professional analysts squashing any edge in sports betting then how do sports bettors make any money?

I'd have assumed that sports betting markets are imperfect and exploitable by punters putting in the work.

I suppose it also depends on the specific market. So crunching Estonian soccer might give more of an edge than Premier League for some markets.

Ladbrokes have recently taken down their Both Teams To Score markets for everything except the major leagues - so I'm wondering if they realised they had lost an edge?

Unibet doesn't appear to be betting on winter sports any more.

I guess that would be a problem for a bookie, low liquid markets would make it difficult for you to manage a proper book, plus there is always the prospect of shenanigans which you have no control over.

If there are teams of professional analysts squashing any edge in sports betting then how do sports bettors make any money?

I'd have assumed that sports betting markets are imperfect and exploitable by punters putting in the work.
I'm still a novice, but even if they were to have these professionals, aren't you just looking for value in a market? When do you see "true" odds for a sporting result? Aren't the odds just a reflection of the liquidity as opposed to the expected result?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still a novice, but even if they were to have these professionals, aren't you just looking for value in a market? When do you see "true" odds for a sporting result? Aren't the odds just a reflection of the liquidity as opposed to the expected result?

The odds are much more likely to be reflective of the expected result rather than a 'reflection of liquidity' (whatever that means)

it's chicken and egg.

follow betfair/pinnacle for the easiest reflection of true odds in major market.

nooone is going to tell you how to scrape data off bookies' pages for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back