Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 5 - Cont. in Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheeds missed Buddy.

South Freo selected a best of indigenous team, not all Noongar, they've a had a steady stream of players out of NT including the first of the Riolis to venture South, ie Sebastian & he made the team.
How'd a Port squad look to compete with South
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_...&sID=76376&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=9419308
If you include players who have come from elsewhere and played for Port the top 6 to 8 probably 10 would be as good as South Freo top 10, but it wouldn't have the depth and no big guys - rucks KPPs of note.

Wanganeen, Peter and Shaun Burgoyne played for Port in SANFL and then Port in AFL. Pickett was a Port junior who we didn't pick in our inaugural squad in 1996 and North nabbed him with pick 69 but came back. The Bond brothers Shane and Troy were Port juniors well before 1997, Shane came back after playing for the Eagles and Troy never played for Port in the AFL - Carlton and the crows. Andrew McLeod came down from NT and played a year or two at Port before playing for the crows. Che Cockatoo Collins played in the SANFL team ( moved from Cairns with family) then Essendon then back home to Alberton. Never saw him play, but Richie Bray was a member of 3 premiership teams in the 1960's when there were very few indigenous players in the SANFL and Port reserves team was making GF's and winning flags so he must have been a decent player. Ross Agius played about 55 games in the early 1980's and played in 1 flag in 1980 and had a great year that year, kicking 60 or 70 goals as a small forward.

Of those who came from somewhere else to play for the AFL team, Paddy Ryder, Chad Wingard, Danyle Pearce and Daniel Motlop would be in there. Sam Powell-Pepper would be at the end of this year will join that list. Edit Fabain Francis played in AFL came to play at the Magpies for 2 or 3 years and was part of the inaugural squad in 1976.

There were only about 10 indigenous players play for Port in the SANFL at A grade level before Wanganeen made his debut in 1990, the year we first tried to get into the AFL. Lot of kids played in juniors and B grade from the 1960's onward, but Wanganeen sort of was the Sebastian Rioli in terms of breaking down the front door so others could rush in. So Port was probably 20 years behind South Fremantle.

Edit A couple of Port Juniors, I'm not sure if they played A grade SANFL before being drafted, were Graham Johncock and Lindsay Thomas. Aaron and Alwyn Davey were Port juniors and played A grade before being drafted. They are Wanganeen's cousin and its the Davey blood line that has the star footballers. Wanganeen is his step father's name.

Last edited:
Just heard Sheedy on an interview promoting his book, say that next year there will be a doco come out about Noongar footballers from WA. I found this great 2016 Good Weekend article about a month ago, that has been posted 3 or 4 times on bigfooty, on the Freo board and Kwality bumped an indigenous footballer thread think it was Mike Sheehan doing his usual list making activities.

Sheedy said a Noongar elder told him that the SW area of WA should be considered as Noongar nation. He said in Europe you don't call people Mediterraneans you call them by their nationality and he said Australians should refer to different groups by their tribal nation. Sheedy said he'd never thought of it that way before and talked about how many footballers have come from that nation of 35,000 people.

The article refers to how Sheedy has called the Noongars the Zulu's of Australia. Below is the article from Fairfax's Good Weekend magazine and its a multimedia presentation. If you can't load it up, the text article is at the author's website.
http://beautyandstrangeness.com/the-noongar-warriors/

The Noongar Warriors
A third of Indigenous AFL players, and some of the game's spectacular legends, come from one language group – the Noongar. What gives them their edge? By Konrad Marshall

The last slice of sunset over the Indian Ocean is burnt orange, and the sky above is limitless black. Two globes on steel poles throw faint illumination over this suburban Perth footy ground, but the real light comes from the full moon sliding behind grey clouds. The boys from the Nollamara Amateur Football Club are training on the spongy grass.
This team is close to 100 per cent Indigenous, and its players belong to a specific Aboriginal society. They are members of the Noongar nation, the most dominant cultural force in the history of Australian rules football. Most Aboriginal tribes, clans or language groups have only a few members playing in the highest league in the land. Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne, for instance, is the sole man with Warray heritage playing in the AFL. Two Wangkathaa men play in the league right now: Eddie Betts and Daniel Wells. There are four Tiwi. Four Larrakia. Four Palawa. The Narangga in South Australia boast an admirable five players, and the Yorta Yorta from Victoria have six.

Of the 73 Indigenous players in the AFL right now, one in three are Noongars.
But the Noongars are different. They have 25. Enough for an entire team. And a star-studded team at that. Three Hills. Two Yarrans. Two Garletts. Two Jettas. Two Bennells. Two Ah-Chees. How about Paddy Ryder, Michael Walters and Michael Johnson? How about the one and only Lance “Buddy” Franklin? This is not a recent influx, either. Polly Farmer? Noongar. Barry Cable? Noongar. The Krakouer brothers? Noongar. Derek Kickett, Nicky Winmar, Peter Matera? All Noongars. “Why are Noongars so good at footy? I’m not sure. Probably comes down to the history of the people – and this place, yeah?” he says, spinning the ball on a finger. “It’s a good question, eh.”.......
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2016/the-noongar-warriors/

Read on for why people in WA think so.

Europe is made up of different countries.
Australia is one country.

Ch10 news in Melbourne showed an interview with Lever. He's still none too happy with the treatment dished out by the Crows. Still annoyed that he has warned-off from attending the B&F by a senior club official.

Also showed footage of Watts first training session at Port.

How many nations were their 200-300 years ago in the great south land area? You just proved the thinking of that elder that Sheedy met

Last edited:
Ch10 news in Melbourne showed an interview with Lever. He's still none too happy with the treatment dished out by the Crows. Still annoyed that he has warned-off from attending the B&F by a senior club official.

Channel 9 ran with the same story, he even mentioned it was Burton who warned him off from attending the night.
#boysclub

He said it was Brett Burton that rang him ...

Just heard Sheedy on an interview promoting his book, say that next year there will be a doco come out about Noongar footballers from WA. I found this great 2016 Good Weekend article about a month ago, that has been posted 3 or 4 times on bigfooty, on the Freo board and Kwality bumped an indigenous footballer thread think it was Mike Sheehan doing his usual list making activities.

Sheedy said a Noongar elder told him that the SW area of WA should be considered as Noongar nation. He said in Europe you don't call people Mediterraneans you call them by their nationality and he said Australians should refer to different groups by their tribal nation. Sheedy said he'd never thought of it that way before and talked about how many footballers have come from that nation of 35,000 people.

The article refers to how Sheedy has called the Noongars the Zulu's of Australia. Below is the article from Fairfax's Good Weekend magazine and its a multimedia presentation. If you can't load it up, the text article is at the author's website.
http://beautyandstrangeness.com/the-noongar-warriors/

The Noongar Warriors
A third of Indigenous AFL players, and some of the game's spectacular legends, come from one language group – the Noongar. What gives them their edge? By Konrad Marshall

The last slice of sunset over the Indian Ocean is burnt orange, and the sky above is limitless black. Two globes on steel poles throw faint illumination over this suburban Perth footy ground, but the real light comes from the full moon sliding behind grey clouds. The boys from the Nollamara Amateur Football Club are training on the spongy grass.
This team is close to 100 per cent Indigenous, and its players belong to a specific Aboriginal society. They are members of the Noongar nation, the most dominant cultural force in the history of Australian rules football. Most Aboriginal tribes, clans or language groups have only a few members playing in the highest league in the land. Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne, for instance, is the sole man with Warray heritage playing in the AFL. Two Wangkathaa men play in the league right now: Eddie Betts and Daniel Wells. There are four Tiwi. Four Larrakia. Four Palawa. The Narangga in South Australia boast an admirable five players, and the Yorta Yorta from Victoria have six.

Of the 73 Indigenous players in the AFL right now, one in three are Noongars.
But the Noongars are different. They have 25. Enough for an entire team. And a star-studded team at that. Three Hills. Two Yarrans. Two Garletts. Two Jettas. Two Bennells. Two Ah-Chees. How about Paddy Ryder, Michael Walters and Michael Johnson? How about the one and only Lance “Buddy” Franklin? This is not a recent influx, either. Polly Farmer? Noongar. Barry Cable? Noongar. The Krakouer brothers? Noongar. Derek Kickett, Nicky Winmar, Peter Matera? All Noongars. “Why are Noongars so good at footy? I’m not sure. Probably comes down to the history of the people – and this place, yeah?” he says, spinning the ball on a finger. “It’s a good question, eh.”.......
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2016/the-noongar-warriors/

Read on for why people in WA think so.

Thanks for that, I can tell I will enjoy reading through when get some more time.

Basically they were the local tribe in the town & region where I grew up, needless to say came across some superb footballers a decent amount of whom ended up going on to higher levels in Perth with the WAFL and the AFL. I know it's a bit of a cliche but local footy was just such a great thing to bridge the differences between cultures and engender that shared sense of community that has a large impact on what happens away from sporting clubs too.

Here is what Lever said ......

Sounds like Podsiadly got dished up a s**t sandwich too...

"James is a quality person with a sharp football brain and he gave our club great service as a player and most recently as a member of the coaching panel," Crows head of football Brett Burton told the club's website.

"He was keen to stay involved and we discussed several possibilities but ultimately he has other life goals and interests to fulfil. We wish James and his wife Claire all the best for their future plans."

Thanks for that, I can tell I will enjoy reading through when get some more time.

Basically they were the local tribe in the town & region where I grew up, needless to say came across some superb footballers a decent amount of whom ended up going on to higher levels in Perth with the WAFL and the AFL. I know it's a bit of a cliche but local footy was just such a great thing to bridge the differences between cultures and engender that shared sense of community that has a large impact on what happens away from sporting clubs too.
Thats basically what the article says in the latter part. When half the team is black fellas and half white fellas it makes integration easier.

Sounds like Podsiadly got dished up a s**t sandwich too...

"James is a quality person with a sharp football brain and he gave our club great service as a player and most recently as a member of the coaching panel," Crows head of football Brett Burton told the club's website.

"He was keen to stay involved and we discussed several possibilities but ultimately he has other life goals and interests to fulfil. We wish James and his wife Claire all the best for their future plans."
Favourite son Ben Hart comes back so Pods loses the defensive coach position. Francou the midfielder replaced Teague the defender to take the forwards coaching position.

I don’t like it and don’t watch it. But that’s me. I just happen to have zero interest in it. I’m not against it existing, I just couldn’t care less. It’s a sideshow with absolutely nothing on the line.
For the moment I have better things to do over the summer and will return to football when the real stuff restarts. But if you like it, go for your life.
Everything you said is absolutely right in principle but... I just can’t like it.
Don't get me wrong I'm no fanboi, hell I didn't even watch the second test, I get if people don't care for it. It's more the principal of anti-everything which grinds my gears.. I think there's a fear of ridicule/criticism for trying something new which prevents many people from ever admitting to liking something innovative until it's been accepted by the masses.

Also inb4 learning Wingard teared his hammy off the bone in the 2nd test and I rage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Fagan's wife, put her bib in, and said it was Lever, who said he is not going.
Liars always get caught out Mrs Fagan.
Adelaide Crows .. We fly as one .... and ..... we lie as one... :D

They have, but ... Mrs Bomber has started a job working in Unley, so I've been driving past their home ground several times a week all this year. You'd never know they've just won back to back premierships. Nothing at all at their ground or clubrooms. Not even a sign in the window.
Any chance your wife could get transferred closer to the Port and you drive past Alberton several times a week?

Every little bit helps...

There is 'Mediterranean' food, to say the least. Southern and Northern Europeans have their differences, and 'Mediterranean' is often used as synonym to 'Southern European.' The term's meaning is loose, though. It can be used to differentiate people from the same country, like in France and Spain; it can include people from Northern Africa, etc.

I suggest that the afl employ dedicated bouncers - whose role during games is just to focus on bouncing the ball in the middle - then getting the * out of the way until they are needed again.

This way umpires can focus on their core business of making good decisions during play and the best people at doing this aren't overlooked because they're not that good at bouncing the ball.

The afl also can then maintain the 'iconic' :rolleyes: part of the game that pulls the supporters through the gates by the tens of thousands. I know that when i'm in the queues waiting to get my bag inspected all the people around me can talk about is how they can't wait to watch the ball get bounced over and over again.

“Being in Adelaide it is footy central whereas here it is more rugby league, so I guess it is a bit of an escape. “Adelaide, it is just footy, footy, footy, here there isn’t as much talk about it and you can get away and enjoy yourself a bit more and not have to think about footy all the time.

Qld kid says - get me away from full on footy town
WA,SA, Vic kid says - I want to go back to a full on footy town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back