EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Then you are talking expansion. I don't think we have the population base yet to make expansion work. I also don't see the AFL swooping in and giving away money to a rival.

For a better comparison look at the numbers of Professional sportspeople in California , which has a similar population to Australia
CA has around 42M+. Better to compare with Texas (around 30M).

But Oz is totally different to the USA expansion sports-wise. Look at Canada instead.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
None of this P&R discussion should be taken seriously. It's a gaggle of Port nupties trying to put forward an argument to further separate their own underachieving franchise from the 8 traditional SANFL clubs even though they already have every advantage they possibly can have in the comp.
-Draft any SANFL player with no transfer fees only to have them play all year in the SANFL.
-Cheat the salary cap 13X every game, even finals.
-Compete against 8 other traditional SANFL clubs that are restricted to a salary cap of $350k, (basically the wage of one AFL player).
-Compete against SANFL clubs that have no access to the AFL draft.

And they have the moronic gall to pretend to discuss promotion and relegation while obviously removing their own whored out franchise from any of their kooked up ideas.

Treat it for what it is, f***tardedry.

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
None of this P&R discussion should be taken seriously. It's a gaggle of Port nupties trying to put forward an argument to further separate their own underachieving franchise from the 8 traditional SANFL clubs even though they already have every advantage they possibly can have in the comp.
-Draft any SANFL player with no transfer fees only to have them play all year in the SANFL.
-Cheat the salary cap 13X every game, even finals.
-Compete against 8 other traditional SANFL clubs that are restricted to a salary cap of $350k, (basically the wage of one AFL player).
-Compete against SANFL clubs that have no access to the AFL draft.

And they have the moronic gall to pretend to discuss promotion and relegation while obviously removing their own whored out franchise from any of their kooked up ideas.

Treat it for what it is, f***tardedry.

So salty!

Either the SANFL continues the same boring trajectory & dies out like the dinosaur it currently is or they re-invent themselves & reconnect with the progressive roots of the competition that once was.

Simple as that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
So salty!

Either the SANFL continues the same boring trajectory & dies out like the dinosaur it currently is or they re-invent themselves & reconnect with the progressive roots of the competition that once was.

Simple as that.

"Salty" ......that's all you've got. That you haven't even tried to refute any of the truths I posed I can only assume you agree with me.
Well done Gonads nupty.

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
"Salty" ......that's all you've got. That you haven't even tried to refute any of the truths I posed I can only assume you agree with me.
Well done Gonads nupty.

Hahaha - Need I say more!

But since you've asked:
You're talking about the SANFL clubs, with no AFL affiliate, playing experienced men and potential AFL draftees that they've scouted from zones, against 18-19yo lean draftees beginning their AFL career. The non-AFL clubs also contain ex-afl players, assuming you're well aware of how full the SANFL is of ex-AFL players who have tons of experience and mature bodies.

This is just one of the balances you've failed to mention.

You may have missed the point about raising the salary cap. It would benefit SANFL clubs without an AFL affiliate, allowing them to attract players who are lost to Ammeter clubs, Country Leagues or interstate teams who can afford their services. The SANFL should attract the best outside of the AFL, am I wrong?
Having said this, the dozen or so non-AFL listed players, playing for the Port Magpies are pay peanuts for their services. Have you noticed how many are retained from season to season? They are developed and quickly snatched by other clubs.

I guess the difference between Port and other clubs, is Port has always strived to compete at the highest level. Hence their successful bid to join the AFL.
Maybe this is where we differ, but I see the benefit of allowing genuine community based clubs the opportunity to strive to compete at a higher level. In order to do this, maybe the SANFL need to be expanded to 12-14 teams. There are so many benefits. One I've mentioned is it could even up the home and away draw.. and heck, it might even see us become the first state outside of Vic to send a 3rd team into the AFL.

Also, you might like to remove the useless insults from your comments. I'm interested in your opinion, but your emotional outbursts water down your argument.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hahaha - Need I say more!

But since you've asked:
You're talking about the SANFL clubs, with no AFL affiliate, playing experienced men and potential AFL draftees that they've scouted from zones, against 18-19yo lean draftees beginning their AFL career. The non-AFL clubs also contain ex-afl players, assuming you're well aware of how full the SANFL is of ex-AFL players who have tons of experience and mature bodies.

This is just one of the balances you've failed to mention.

You may have missed the point about raising the salary cap. It would benefit SANFL clubs without an AFL affiliate, allowing them to attract players who are lost to Ammeter clubs, Country Leagues or interstate teams who can afford their services. The SANFL should attract the best outside of the AFL, am I wrong?
Having said this, the dozen or so non-AFL listed players, playing for the Port Magpies are pay peanuts for their services. Have you noticed how many are retained from season to season? They are developed and quickly snatched by other clubs.

I guess the difference between Port and other clubs, is Port has always strived to compete at the highest level. Hence their successful bid to join the AFL.
Maybe this is where we differ, but I see the benefit of allowing genuine community based clubs the opportunity to strive to compete at a higher level. In order to do this, maybe the SANFL need to be expanded to 12-14 teams. There are so many benefits. One I've mentioned is it could even up the home and away draw.. and heck, it might even see us become the first state outside of Vic to send a 3rd team into the AFL.

Also, you might like to remove the useless insults from your comments. I'm interested in your opinion, but your emotional outbursts water down your argument.

You obviously don't have a great deal to do with amateur league clubs if you think they have the long term resources to compete in the SANFL firstly major $$$$$$$ would need to spent on their grounds and then $$$$$ spent on additional staff

Wandering where you suggest these $$$$$ are going to come from

There is no goose that laid the golden egg you know

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
You obviously don't have a great deal to do with amateur league clubs if you think they have the long term resources to compete in the SANFL firstly major $$$$$$$ would need to spent on their grounds and then $$$$$ spent on additional staff

Wandering where you suggest these $$$$$ are going to come from

There is no goose that laid the golden egg you know

Fair question.
It's no different to P&R in other codes though, a prize purse & concessions for winning a promotion fixes the initial start up. With the promotion comes opportunity for attracting necessary sponsorship.

Nov 11, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
There's a small matter of the 8 traditional clubs owning the SANFL and its assets. They vote. You can postulate about P & R as much as you like. it won't happen because of that & it's financially impossible.

As for an increased salary cap, it will go the other way, as clubs can't afford more. Neither can the SANFL pay a new club more at the expense of an existing club.

Great idea in theory, totally impractical to anyone who knows anything about the SANFL.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
There's a small matter of the 8 traditional clubs owning the SANFL and its assets. They vote. You can postulate about P & R as much as you like. it won't happen because of that & it's financially impossible.

As for an increased salary cap, it will go the other way, as clubs can't afford more. Neither can the SANFL pay a new club more at the expense of an existing club.

Great idea in theory, totally impractical to anyone who knows anything about the SANFL.
Well said but let's not stop Port Power faffers from devising ways to undermine the SANFL even if it's only in their social media dreams.

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
The respective state football commissions including the AFL would definitely need to change as they are designed by the traditional clubs for the clubs. I am a big fan of the potential for P&R but the state leagues would need an agreed formula for promotion payments. Both the SA and WA leagues could do it with their stadium developments but for how long?

Without the potential for a SA league club to go up to a second division national league there is little point.

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Inevitable now.

Last chance for the SANFL to refresh or become second fiddle to a national reserves comp.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Inevitable now.

Last chance for the SANFL to refresh or become second fiddle to a national reserves comp.
With the Barossa and Gawler being prepped for hosting AFL games and cricket matches, they're obviously preparing and spending money in the area to upgrade the ovals for this. Now is the time for a Gawler/Barossa team

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
With the Barossa and Gawler being prepped for hosting AFL games and cricket matches, they're obviously preparing and spending money in the area to upgrade the ovals for this. Now is the time for a Gawler/Barossa team
No it’s not. As a comittee member of a club in that area I can tell you no one is in the least bit interested. The money is being used to upgrade existing football grounds that co exist with netball and no club is interested in moving to the SANFL and no club would willingly give up their ground for a new team. The upgrades are mainly to improve infrastructure for a growing junior and women’s program.

Jarrah777

Draftee
Feb 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood FC - LFC - QPRFC
Modbury & Golden Grove and be done with it.

Modbury, TTGully, Golden Grove and Hope Valley FC's combined.

There's your 10th team.

Sell assets and combine at upgraded Modbury Oval.

Close to TTP so public transport and parking.

Eating in to Norwood's heartland but could be sustainable with the growth out that way.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood AdelaideUtd
If this was the system we adopted a parallel youth development league would be created similar to the Vic model.
I read an interesting discussion on FB where someone proposed that "the Reserves be scrapped and have u/18s instead. Reserves players to play at zone clubs...Reserves at the moment are an extension of u/18 anyway."
A responder agreed and said he'd "been thinking along the same lines but scrapping u/18s and have the younger fellas play at their zone clubs which should raise the standard of the reserves comp"
and eventually the league teams.

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
I read an interesting discussion on FB where someone proposed that "the Reserves be scrapped and have u/18s instead. Reserves players to play at zone clubs...Reserves at the moment are an extension of u/18 anyway."
A responder agreed and said he'd "been thinking along the same lines but scrapping u/18s and have the younger fellas play at their zone clubs which should raise the standard of the reserves comp"
Could copy the WWII teams but replace Port with someone else.

WWT-Centrals
West-Glenelg
Sturt-South
North-Norwood

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
This can't continue, the SANFL is dying a slow death.

There needs to be new interest, new teams, an injection of life into this tiresome competition.

To think the SANFL once thought they were a National competition when they were simply bound to city limits.

The least the SANFL could do is at least become a State based competition instead of Metro.

AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

If the U18 competition included 18-20 state based teams, we could capture and showcase more SA talent to be drafted into the AFL instead of just the limited metro options, with the occasional country talent that moves to Adelaide to seek an opportunity.

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting watching Crows reserves this season. Bad injury list needing tops ups a plenty and performing badly. This will be the case in an AFL reserves comp as top ups would also be needed otherwise you run the risk of players not playing when the injury list is low.

So for the SANFL comp I still feel a national State Champions Legue is the only way to go. Sturt promoted from last season and one other after play offs. AFL listed players ineligible for play offs or the competition meaning a club like Port could have a great SANFL Season but would struggle in play offs.

Time for WA Commission and SA Commission to come together. This comp would force SANFL to consider promotion when the premiers move up to national comp

Back