Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Tend to agree and it would definitely be a high risk for the same club (WC) to draft both Kelly and Ryan with picks in the 20's. They gave up a lot in exchange for those picks and then to use them on players who in previous years could have been rookie listed seems an unlikely draft strategy.
Not really a lot , first rd exchange with GC second Rd next year .

Not really a lot , first rd exchange with GC second Rd next year .

Might be a really good move by Wet Toast.
If GC finish 16-18 WC first pick will be 18-22 odd depending on priority picks and/or compensation picks.
Is this right?
So essentially loading up on the second round this year has only pushed them back 4 to 6 places conceivably?
I hope they go to s**t but, it’s definitely not as stupid as it appears at first glance especially if there are targets in the range they have the picks this year.

If GC finish 16-18 WC first pick will be 18-22 odd depending on priority picks and/or compensation picks.
Is this right?
So essentially loading up on the second round this year has only pushed them back 4 to 6 places conceivably?
I hope they go to s**t but, it’s definitely not as stupid as it appears at first glance especially if there are targets in the range they have the picks this year.
GC Clayton totally stuff up there. Should get Weller deal done before talking to eagles not the other way round . I think eagles next year ladder position will be in same position as Hawthorn this year.

GC Clayton totally stuff up there. Should get Weller deal done before talking to eagles not the other way round . I think eagles next year ladder position will be in same position as Hawthorn this year.
Not totally stuff up but I agree with you in general. He did a deal with WCE first for another 2018 1st round pick believing that he could tempt Freo without having to give up pick 2.

I’m pretty confident that the Eagles will slide and they will have given up a top 10 pick. The reports are that the top end talent in 2018 is very very good and there after it is a deep draft with equally good talent in the 4th round vs 2nd round.

If WCE finish top 8 then GCS will have been burnt but I think WCE will finish in the 10-14 ladder position range.

AFL website says we're one of the teams interested in GWS Academy member Nick Shipley. A bid is expected around the 30-50 mark, certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was us.

Be nice if the club employed me rather than just look at my rankings.

AFL website says we're one of the teams interested in GWS Academy member Nick Shipley. A bid is expected around the 30-50 mark, certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was us.

"The Clayton Hinkley Effect"

I saw that article. We only have pick 42 in that range. The bulldogs are reportedly keen as well.

Is this right?

Terrible move by West Coast.

Reckon eagles will fall off a cliff. Priddis, Mitchell leaving a hole of 60 Possessions a game. Ah Chee ain’t gonna do it (not even best 22 in the team eagles beat in final), Venables hasn’t played a game, NicNat might be good for 15. Unless Redden has a Brownlow year, reckon eagles will have given away a top 5 pick, and Simpson sacked by rnd 21.

Reckon eagles will fall off a cliff. Priddis, Mitchell leaving a hole of 60 Possessions a game. Ah Chee ain’t gonna do it (not even best 22 in the team eagles beat in final), Venables hasn’t played a game, NicNat might be good for 15. Unless Redden has a Brownlow year, reckon eagles will have given away a top 5 pick, and Simpson sacked by rnd 21.

lel

That is so creepy...

I had the EXACT same dream last night!

How so? They are suck with their midfield , using next year first rd pick , they get like 4-6 chance to get somebody like Spp this year and another two chance next year to get a good mid in top 30 . They should be ashame if they can't get two mid with so many pick.

How so? They are suck with their midfield , using next year first rd pick , they get like 4-6 chance to get somebody like Spp this year and another two chance next year to get a good mid in top 30 . They should be ashame if they can't get two mid with so many pick.

Good 2 x Mids yes, but a top 5 mid nope.

I’d rather SPS vs SPP + a pick in the 20s.

Good 2 x Mids yes, but a top 5 mid nope.

I’d rather SPS vs SPP + a pick in the 20s.
Well , nobody sure next year their pick will be top 5 , if not Freo would have take it . I believe Freo look at hawthorn season and don't want to be st Kilda.
A low draft pick with full time professional AFL training will had an advantage over next year kids .

Edit : Freo still need to make sure in two years time pick 2 is better than Weller .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somehow I ended up with a night shift when the draft is on! I'll be floating around though, checking the board when nobody is looking. Will definitely offer up my thoughts tomorrow at the latest.

But I don't think there's any combination of picks at 2 and 5 that I'd be unhappy with. Even taking Cerra at #2 over Davies-Uniacke wouldn't bother me too much. I do think LDU is the better player, but Cerra is a quality player too. Would you take Scott Pendlebury or Josh Kennedy? Best case scenario for both kids, that's the sort of question being asked.

My gut feeling is we still take Davies-Uniacke at #2, and then whoever remains out of Cerra and Brayshaw at #5. But there could be the genuine belief that North have Cerra as the top prospect on their board, and that if he's gone they'll take Brayshaw or Fogarty over Davies-Uniacke. So if wanted the both of them, taking Cerra first would make sense. There are clubs who have Cerra and Brayshaw as their #1 player, it's not clear cut that LDU is the 'better' prospect.

We have too much talent in our bookends to finish in the bottom 4 imo. We probably wont play finals but we'll finish around the mark. And GC will probably finish bottom 4, we have their second rounder, so we will get pick 20 or 21 anyway which is still decent. Consider it a pick downgrade for several second rounders.

Somehow I ended up with a night shift when the draft is on! I'll be floating around though, checking the board when nobody is looking. Will definitely offer up my thoughts tomorrow at the latest.

But I don't think there's any combination of picks at 2 and 5 that I'd be unhappy with. Even taking Cerra at #2 over Davies-Uniacke wouldn't bother me too much. I do think LDU is the better player, but Cerra is a quality player too. Would you take Scott Pendlebury or Josh Kennedy? Best case scenario for both kids, that's the sort of question being asked.

My gut feeling is we still take Davies-Uniacke at #2, and then whoever remains out of Cerra and Brayshaw at #5. But there could be the genuine belief that North have Cerra as the top prospect on their board, and that if he's gone they'll take Brayshaw or Fogarty over Davies-Uniacke. So if wanted the both of them, taking Cerra first would make sense. There are clubs who have Cerra and Brayshaw as their #1 player, it's not clear cut that LDU is the 'better' prospect.
All i'm gonna say is that if you had the choice between Pendles and Kennedy you take Pendles 9 times out of ten. If we didn't have Fyfe or Blakely however a Kennedy type would be much more appealing but with the grunt work those two and Neale provide some genuine class couldn't go astray in our midfield especially with Mundy on the decline (inside mid with good skills also not particularly quick, similar to Cerra).

Is Dow no chance of sliding to 5?

Good stuff mate, really appreciate your efforts in this thread over the past year. Can't wait for your post-draft analysis, whenever it is :)

Certainly sounds like Carlton would take him ahead of probably anyone except Rayner.
Thanks Chris. Is there any realistic strategy for 2 being Dow and 5 UDL?

One of the things I really like about your work on here is the clarity you bring. Quite a few more focus on predicting draft outcomes as opposed to voicing what they have seen. Much appreciated.

Thanks Chris. Is there any realistic strategy for 2 being Dow and 5 UDL?

One of the things I really like about your work on here is the clarity you bring. Quite a few more focus on predicting draft outcomes as opposed to voicing what they have seen. Much appreciated.

I floated a scenario about a month ago that had LDU slipping to 7, and it wasn't met well as everyone said he'd be #1. So anything is possible.

We go Dow, Carlton take Cerra and North pick Brayshaw. Maybe.

Seems unlikely though. Dow is generally considered the least likely to move interstate well too.

Not against 2 mids at picks 2 and 5 - but how does this cover our list needs?
We need a Mundy replacement = LDU or will Blakely be the man?
We have good mids but really need a forward/ midfield swingman- Fogarty fits the bill in my opinion.
I’m not concerned about his low posession count to date - Pav was very similar- it was more the effect of the disposals and impact on the game.
Too much can be read into possession count and not on effect on the game.

We have too much talent in our bookends to finish in the bottom 4 imo. We probably wont play finals but we'll finish around the mark. And GC will probably finish bottom 4, we have their second rounder, so we will get pick 20 or 21 anyway which is still decent. Consider it a pick downgrade for several second rounders.
Yeah geelong robbed carlton in the ZT trade. Endee up being a 5pick downgrade or something silly

Not against 2 mids at picks 2 and 5 - but how does this cover our list needs?
We need a Mundy replacement = LDU or will Blakely be the man?
We have good mids but really need a forward/ midfield swingman- Fogarty fits the bill in my opinion.
I’m not concerned about his low posession count to date - Pav was very similar- it was more the effect of the disposals and impact on the game.
Too much can be read into possession count and not on effect on the game.
On the flip side we have two relatively young undersized key position players up forward already. Prefer two elite midfielders that will be at the top of their game as Fyfe will be getting close to retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back