RLWC '22 2017 Rugby League World Cup Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be the first time one of the Big 3 have missed the Semi Finals of the World Cup.

The rot has been there for a while though

Last sentence nails it mate. We’ve gone down hill slowly for some time now and this is about as low as the game can go in NZ and while it might be good for the tournament it’s definitely bad for the game in NZ.

I thought the balance of ref's call went against Fiji, if anything. The better side won, of course, but Fiji couldn't match their excellent defence and pressing game with precision in attack to take advantage of the possession and field position they had. Kikau, Wiliame, and Milne have been immense for them. The Aussies will beat them easily (as they would have done NZ on that showing), but I expect them to put in a much better fight than Samoa.

Tapine is a cracking player, who didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

I thought the balance of ref's call went against Fiji, if anything.

On reflection, probably true, but for mine his bias started way back. He was a great TJ though.

The better side won, of course,

No doubt.

but Fiji couldn't match their excellent defence and pressing game with precision in attack to take advantage of the possession and field position they had. Kikau, Wiliame, and Milne have been immense for them.

True and true.

The Aussies will beat them easily (as they would have done NZ on that showing), but I expect them to put in a much better fight than Samoa.

If they can bring that intensity and pride with them, then there's a small chance of an upset.

The great pity and what really would've given this WC a shot in the arm is, the Kangaroos being beaten and even better, getting knocked out rather than NZ.

Tapine is a cracking player, who didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Indeed. Mannering too. SJ needs to have a good look at himself. When his team needed him he was nowhere to be found.

The Saturday games were brilliant. Lebanon look like they could have some potential going forward. For the crowd next weekend probably was good Tonga went through.

Well done to Fiji getting over the Kiwis. Was a different game with on tries scored but was equally entertaining.

Bit disappointed with PNG, I thought they would be the team to upset a big nation.

Why did Samao even turn up. As mentioned many times. Ireland would have been better opponents.

Thought the crowds werent great, but not bad either. The grounds looked pretty good on TV. Well done Darwin. I think 4th largest crowd ever at the ground.

Sets up some interesting semi finals. A Fiji who have some confidence and belief taking on the Australians. Hayne vs the roos. Hopefully ger 35k to Suncorp. I reckon the Kangaroos will win easy.

Tonga vs England is a tough one to tip. I feel the team who can be clean with possession and make the fewest mistakes will win. Hopefully get 20k to Mt Smart. England by 12.

Pretty disappointing game today. Really lacked much atmosphere and PNG simply didn't turn up, although losing Mead early hurt. England were pretty good and even overcame a couple of diabolical decisions by their ref to win comfortably.

I just can't see how Fiji will put enough points on the board v the Kangaroos. Australia too good and to win 38-6.

England v Tonga should be close. Tonga looked shaky v Lebanon and really should've lost. I don't think England will make as many dumb decisions as the Kiwis and Lebanon did. England 28 v Tonga 10

I was hoping for a big improvement on the Lebanon game from England and I just didn't see it. They were worse, if anything. I think you are being a tad generous, AuckMel, with "pretty good", for a side with an abysmal completion rate and stack of errors, many of them unforced. And against pretty ordinary opposition. On that showing, PNG only looked to me like bottom-of-SL/top-of-Championship standard: Leigh Centurions, maybe? :)

I almost feel bad about my regular criticism of Widdop; I think he has been just excellent at full-back, and it's proved one thing, it is that he is easily the best full-back in the squad. McGillvary was excellent again, and Hall decent too (although the one time the much-criticised Bateman did give him a decent pass, he dropped it!). The likes of Walmesley have shown that they are good enough to pit themselves against the best, but Bennett's obvious preferred option of playing NRL fave Hodgson at 9 looks harder and harder to justify. An early 40/20 notwithstanding, Roby has consistently looked a bigger threat. Whitehead hasn't done much so far to advance his claims either, if he was playing in SL, would he have been given the game-time he has? I doubt it. Many in England are saying, if you must play a second-rower in the centres, why not play Currie there, whose skill-set is probably more suited than Bateman, and move Bateman to his natural position in the second row, and drop Whitehead? Halves are still an issue too; I never thought I'd be saying, I hope Kev Brown is fit, but... now I am.

Play like we did against PNG against Tonga, and I think they would turn us over quite easily. So, work to be done. Can Bennett earn his corn? We shall see.

Last sentence nails it mate. We’ve gone down hill slowly for some time now and this is about as low as the game can go in NZ and while it might be good for the tournament it’s definitely bad for the game in NZ.
Where were the Kiwi crowds to cheer the Kiwi team?

Does no one care about Kiwi Rugby League south of Auckland?

Where were the Kiwi crowds to cheer the Kiwi team?

Does no one care about Kiwi Rugby League south of Auckland?

Your 1st question is a good one and it's hard to know for sure. South Auckland is the biggest RL area in the country and even NRL crowds outside of Auckland haven't been that big, yet in their wisdom games were played mostly out of Auckland.

Secondly, I just don't think people outside of NZ realise just how small the game actually is, but then most are when compared to RU.

With that all said, this team should've been playing for a spot in the final this week, but it's pretty obvious the problems run much deeper than crowd support.

Your 1st question is a good one and it's hard to know for sure. South Auckland is the biggest RL area in the country and even NRL crowds outside of Auckland haven't been that big, yet in their wisdom games were played mostly out of Auckland.

Secondly, I just don't think people outside of NZ realise just how small the game actually is, but then most are when compared to RU.

With that all said, this team should've been playing for a spot in the final this week, but it's pretty obvious the problems run much deeper than crowd support.
We're left with some really exciting teams for the top four though.

Fiji and Tonga have been exciting and I hope the big stage pressure doesn't get to them. Lebanon worthy top 8. England and Australia I'm not excited about.

We're left with some really exciting teams for the top four though.

Fiji and Tonga have been exciting and I hope the big stage pressure doesn't get to them. Lebanon worthy top 8. England and Australia I'm not excited about.

Im excited for a possible England Australia final.

Keen to see what Fiji does on Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia have the ability to switch the ball out wide and find the runners like Holmes, Gagai, Slater etc. No other side in this World Cup has the same ability.

At one stage in the second half the Aussies chased down a kick of fifty metres and three of them trapped the Fijian full back in goal. Absolutely brilliant chase.

Billy Slater absolute champion.
Valentine Holmes was exactly where you want the winger to be, running hard down the touch line to take the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back