QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to disagree...over the last 3 years Palm Beach with both teams at full strength have been 10 goals + better. That is now reversing and there seems to be a swing with numbers at Helensvale coming through the junior school. Having said that, some of the Helensvale boys who graduated could develop into decent QAFL players, whereas the Palmy boys you should know well. And few nervous boys this week I'd imagine hoping to get picked up.

Yeah this will be an interesting week for many young fellas - hopefully their world doesnt fall apart if it doesnt happen and understand its still a 10yr career if you are picked up at 22!!

Yeah this will be an interesting week for many young fellas - hopefully their world doesnt fall apart if it doesnt happen and understand its still a 10yr career if you are picked up at 22!!
The Suns academy boys will have the opportunity I'm sure to keep playing with the ressies for 6 months next year at least if they don't get rookied.

It's not the premier comp in QLD - that's the NEAFL which has turned into a shmozzle!
The QAFL is several rungs below in standard if we are being honest.
$600 a game - I have that at around 20k for the season.

Maybe Sandgate and Surfers will go in time when the NEAFL dissolves - which I think is looking more likely each year.
When setting a salary cap you have to factor what the current clubs can pay - my understanding is that 2 clubs can pay well in excess of 75k and one club about that figure. the remaining 6 clubs would struggle to get there.
So what figure is fair?

I would of thought that the NEAFL was a state league. And QAFL was next best being the premier comp in the state.

A fair figure I think would be around 120k. If there was a cap. I'm just thinking of leagues in Vic that have a cap and similar standard. But their cap.is around 150k

Why drop the quality and recruits to the league as a whole just to help the bottom teams.

Maybe this figure would work if surfers and sandgate went down and neafl disappeared and qafl got neafl teams to make it a 10 team league again.

It's not the premier comp in QLD - that's the NEAFL which has turned into a shmozzle!
The QAFL is several rungs below in standard if we are being honest.
$600 a game - I have that at around 20k for the season.

Maybe Sandgate and Surfers will go in time when the NEAFL dissolves - which I think is looking more likely each year.
When setting a salary cap you have to factor what the current clubs can pay - my understanding is that 2 clubs can pay well in excess of 75k and one club about that figure. the remaining 6 clubs would struggle to get there.
So what figure is fair?

16 games x $600 = $9600.
I hope your not head of finances at Surfers!

Yeah but Albury still spent a fortune on players

Ablett,
thats not exactly the case. The huge advantage Albury have is they have a network of sponsors that are able to provide employment to recruits with the king pin being a guy by the name of Colin Joss, a guy that luvs the club and does so much for it and he regularly gets abused for it..

Well that's why O&M, GV Geelong eastern and the like are great standard of footy. Because you have great sponsors who chip in not just coin but employment or help the club in other ways. To bring in the big recruits.

Like ex afl players. Who locals pay to get in the gate to watch at there club.

Well that's why O&M, GV Geelong eastern and the like are great standard of footy. Because you have great sponsors who chip in not just coin but employment or help the club in other ways. To bring in the big recruits.

Like ex afl players. Who locals pay to get in the gate to watch at there club.
No doubt it is easy coin for those ex afl players. I wonder if they cop the same flak that Big Bad Bazza copped up here. Fev I think played in one of the border town clubs. Would've been good to rip into that clown. He probably would've loved it though.

Not sure Hall took it too well.

16 games x $600 = $9600.
I hope your not head of finances at Surfers!

2 players at $600 is $19200 to be precise. The reference was Corrie and Harwood getting paid this sum.

The club knows I am happy to help with finances. Not much work there!!

No doubt it is easy coin for those ex afl players. I wonder if they cop the same flak that Big Bad Bazza copped up here. Fev I think played in one of the border town clubs. Would've been good to rip into that clown. He probably would've loved it though.

Dan Merrett played at Caloundra and copped a little bit but tbh I think its all about how the player himself handles it. Think you need to be happy to laugh at yourself a little and play up to the crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nowhere near as bad down there then what baz had to put up with. And not just him that copped it.

I doubt anyone would take it to well.

Fev played for Yarrawonga in the strong Ovens and Murray comp ... was paid some 4k a game , kicked some 380 goals in his 4 seasons there which saw Yarrawonga compete in 4 grand finals against the powerhouse Albury Tigers in which they won 2 ... he drew crowds to home and away games that have never been seen before ,, for example his first game drew some 7000 ... and as a norm some 3000 a week in other games ,, the dollars he generated for the club was something never seen before in the history of this comp.
On top of that , Fev conducted many footy clinics at local schools in the area and the people of Yarrawonga and district absolutely luv him for his give back to the community .
In fact , come a easter weekend game ,, where down in Victoria they conduct a legendy Easter weekend fundraiser for the Royal Childrens Hospital, The FEV donated his 4k match payment to that charity...
Say no more ,,, full credit to the Fev here.

Fev played for Yarrawonga in the strong Ovens and Murray comp ... was paid some 4k a game , kicked some 380 goals in his 4 seasons there which saw Yarrawonga compete in 4 grand finals against the powerhouse Albury Tigers in which they won 2 ... he drew crowds to home and away games that have never been seen before ,, for example his first game drew some 7000 ... and as a norm some 3000 a week in other games ,, the dollars he generated for the club was something never seen before in the history of this comp.
On top of that , Fev conducted many footy clinics at local schools in the area and the people of Yarrawonga and district absolutely luv him for his give back to the community .
In fact , come a easter weekend game ,, where down in Victoria they conduct a legendy Easter weekend fundraiser for the Royal Childrens Hospital, The FEV donated his 4k match payment to that charity...
Cheers! Doesn't surprise me at all. The guy could play and was an entertainer.

I’m a fan of Fev but you’ll find if you dig deeper that most of his match payments went to a bookie whom he owed a lot of $$$$ To hence why he played a few one off games a year around Oz for $10-25k to pay debts, these games were organised by his debtors to recovery $$$$.
Hall was servicable last season for his age, but considering the coin he was on at Sydney all those years, to demand or accept a lazy grand or so a game from local clubs is a disgrace in my book and he’s not the only ex AFL player guilty of this.
$10-20k for half a dozen or so games is pocket money for ex AFL players but it’s a lot to fork out for local clubs, especially when they don’t attract big crowds to raise surplus revenue to make it a worth while execercise.

I doubt anyone 'demands' anything - they get offered something and they take it. Just as anyone would.

Fev was great for the Pigeons. Albury has had a host of ex AFL players, but mostly guys who had short careers and didn't achieve much (yes, way more than me). Fev was a star and still relatively young, especially for the position he played.

Tigers have the likes of Dean Polo, Kane Pettifer, the O'Hailpin brothers etc. These are sub 100 gamers looking for a quid. Fev set that competition alight, nobody comes out to see Dean Polo or Kayne Pettifer!

The treatment copped by Hall and Staker the last 2 seasons was disgraceful - purely on the back of being slightly bigger names who have played long careers. Guys like Mills, Retzy, Corrie etc won't have copped that, nor will someone like Harwood. It's the classic tall poppy syndrome.

I’m a fan of Fev but you’ll find if you dig deeper that most of his match payments went to a bookie whom he owed a lot of $$$$ To hence why he played a few one off games a year around Oz for $10-25k to pay debts, these games were organised by his debtors to recovery $$$$.
Hall was servicable last season for his age, but considering the coin he was on at Sydney all those years, to demand or accept a lazy grand or so a game from local clubs is a disgrace in my book and he’s not the only ex AFL player guilty of this.
$10-20k for half a dozen or so games is pocket money for ex AFL players but it’s a lot to fork out for local clubs, especially when they don’t attract big crowds to raise surplus revenue to make it a worth while execercise.

Ablett,
correct about the Fev ,,, but thats a behind the scenes personnel issue ... Fact is and credit to Fev , he delivered on the field and off the field , and not for a season but 4 seasons ,,, what he did for Yarrawonga the footy club, Yarrawonga the town, and the league was so commendable ,,, got to give the guy big credits here ,

I doubt anyone 'demands' anything - they get offered something and they take it. Just as anyone would.

Fev was great for the Pigeons. Albury has had a host of ex AFL players, but mostly guys who had short careers and didn't achieve much (yes, way more than me). Fev was a star and still relatively young, especially for the position he played.

Tigers have the likes of Dean Polo, Kane Pettifer, the O'Hailpin brothers etc. These are sub 100 gamers looking for a quid. Fev set that competition alight, nobody comes out to see Dean Polo or Kayne Pettifer!

The treatment copped by Hall and Staker the last 2 seasons was disgraceful - purely on the back of being slightly bigger names who have played long careers. Guys like Mills, Retzy, Corrie etc won't have copped that, nor will someone like Harwood. It's the classic tall poppy syndrome.

Fan ... your wrong about those Albury ex afl players ... for example , Polo , Hyde , O hara, Pettifer , and Daniel Cross are not on huge money ,, have been there for 4 to 7 seasons because they enjoy the success achieved, the culture of the club and have stable employment. Yes they havent set the comp alight like Fevola did ,, but Fevs AFL record is one of a gun ...

wouldn't be the first time he's wrong.

As someone who grew up in that area, I follow it closely. Most of those guys still get pretty good match payments, but obviously get looked after in other ways. Not sure you could pay me enough to move back to Albury to be honest! Yarrawonga or Wangaratta maybe, but not Albury!

My old man coached and played at Albury in the 80's. Great club

Does anyone know when the draw for 2018 will come out? Also will it still be a 9 team comp or will it go to 10?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back