Training 2018 - Preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For at least the last few years, Freo players have run a 3km time trial when the main group returns and then again after Christmas. I wonder if they will still have the 3km run, or if they’ve gone down to 2km, just like the Combine.

For at least the last few years, Freo players have run a 3km time trial when the main group returns and then again after Christmas. I wonder if they will still have the 3km run, or if they’ve gone down to 2km, just like the Combine.

I think they have finally figured AFL is a series of repeated sprints rather than middle distance running.

Even Webber said recently, we’re building footballers not straight line runners.

To me, it appears there has been a shift in philosophy since Ross arrived.

Last year's 3km top 3 were B.Hill, Sheridan & Sutcliffe. Sheridan's always had elite endurance even as a junior, so what's holing him back? Is he still coming to grips with the AFL standard and learning a defensive role instead of his more familiar junior midfield role? His contested football numbers are quiet low.

Last year's 3km top 3 were B.Hill, Sheridan & Sutcliffe. Sheridan's always had elite endurance even as a junior, so what's holing him back? Is he still coming to grips with the AFL standard and learning a defensive role instead of his more familiar junior midfield role? His contested football numbers are quiet low.
Has endurance, but is a very, very average footballer.

They have probably dropped it to 2km. I'm pretty sure all or most of the other clubs do the 2km rather than 3km.

Sheriden and Sutty are Freo version of Billy Hartung.

I love all these armchair coaches! When you have Neill, Fyfe, Mundy and the Hills in midfield it's not a surprise that some players average 13 or 14 disposals. Not all can rack up huge numbers.
Sheridan's been shuffled about a bit from half back to half forward so again it's no surprise he's not "consistent" when his role isn't. I liked him last year when he played at half forward, he showed some good reactions and I think he's suited there. We'll see how he goes with what everyone expects will be limited game time this year.

I love all these armchair coaches! When you have Neill, Fyfe, Mundy and the Hills in midfield it's not a surprise that some players average 13 or 14 disposals. Not all can rack up huge numbers.
Sheridan's been shuffled about a bit from half back to half forward so again it's no surprise he's not "consistent" when his role isn't. I liked him last year when he played at half forward, he showed some good reactions and I think he's suited there. We'll see how he goes with what everyone expects will be limited game time this year.
I reckon he'd go alright as a defensive midfielder like Crowley or Ling. Definitely has the endurance to run with the best and his disposal is good, so could damage going the other way.

sherro never recovered from dropping a sitter of a mark in front of cyril rioli in the 2015 prelim,who swooped and goaled
pretty well sealed the game for the hawks and ended our season
i said at the time that mistake will either make him or break him.looks like ts the latter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sherro never recovered from dropping a sitter of a mark in front of cyril rioli in the 2015 prelim,who swooped and goaled
i said at the time that mistake will either make him or break him.looks like ts the latter
All true, I still would not be surprised if he steps up this year.

It’s simply strength. Some call that application or desire, but it goes beyond that. He’s not strong. Even his running style is prone to being torn down, high up on his toes, high centre of gravity. Average to above average top speed without being elite. Too much vanilla.

Imagine a situation where Fyfe (insert any ‘strong’ player is holding the ball) is essentially stationary, and Sheridan is tasked with bringing him to ground. I don’t think Sheridan would be able to complete the task within an appropriate amount of time.

You often see him tackling but getting thrown off, or allowing the opposition to cleanly dispose of the ball. I can’t remember him throwing someone off and breaking a tackle.

I’d be more impressed if he came back looking like he’d spent all summer gaining size. Hence the comments about him being more interested in selling sunglasses. That physique isn’t right for someone who’s been on an AFL list for 5-6 years.

It’s simply strength. Some call that application or desire, but it goes beyond that. He’s not strong. Even his running style is prone to being torn down, high up on his toes, high centre of gravity. Average to above average top speed without being elite. Too much vanilla.

Imagine a situation where Fyfe (insert any ‘strong’ player is holding the ball) is essentially stationary, and Sheridan is tasked with bringing him to ground. I don’t think Sheridan would be able to complete the task within an appropriate amount of time.

You often see him tackling but getting thrown off, or allowing the opposition to cleanly dispose of the ball. I can’t remember him throwing someone off and breaking a tackle.

I’d be more impressed if he came back looking like he’d spent all summer gaining size. Hence the comments about him being more interested in selling sunglasses. That physique isn’t right for someone who’s been on an AFL list for 5-6 years.

He has the same physique as Brad Hill.

Funny bugger Bhilly.

There are going to be plenty on the list with their best footy in front of them and hopefully Sheridan's one.
Young group focused on improving together and forging a rock hard team can only help.
Certainly too early to be saying he's broken.
He'll only get a game if he's improved really,competition will be hot.

to be fair he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire prior to that

Does anyone remember if Ethan Hughes had good time trial results in previous years? I've always been a fan of him and it seems to me he's bulked up a bit off season. Great to know he's been able to add muscle but increase speed at the same time!

Does anyone remember if Ethan Hughes had good time trial results in previous years? I've always been a fan of him and it seems to me he's bulked up a bit off season. Great to know he's been able to add muscle but increase speed at the same time!
IMO he's been built like a brick shithouse since his 2nd year. Pretty sure he was in the top 10 time trials last year from memory too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back