Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Meath prospect Conor Nash remains 100 per cent committed to Aussie Rules

a few minutes spent in Nash’s company makes it clear that he is determined to forge a career in Australia.

He returned from a serious hamstring injury this year to play ten games for the Box Hill Hawks, the Hawthorn reserves who play in the Victorian Football League, and reached the last four of that tournament.

“This is what I’m doing, it’s my job now,” Nash said. “I would say if you were kind of half-hearted and thinking, ‘what if I was at home playing with the boys?’ or ‘what if I went playing rugby, how would that have gone?’ then it’s not going to work for you, you need to be 100 per cent committed to the job.

“So I’m playing Aussie Rules. I’m completely focused on that until I’m told otherwise, that it’s not going to work.

“But I’m extremely happy. I fixed up a few issues with my body and my skills really went up another level because I could focus on them. They loved the way I attacked the rehab after the hamstring injury.

“I had the option of coming home for the first two weeks, maybe sulking here, because I couldn’t do anything for the first two weeks, but I decided to stay and just really attacked it from the start. That’s why it’s come back so good for me.”

a few minutes spent in Nash’s company makes it clear that he is determined to forge a career in Australia.

He returned from a serious hamstring injury this year to play ten games for the Box Hill Hawks, the Hawthorn reserves who play in the Victorian Football League, and reached the last four of that tournament.

“This is what I’m doing, it’s my job now,” Nash said. “I would say if you were kind of half-hearted and thinking, ‘what if I was at home playing with the boys?’ or ‘what if I went playing rugby, how would that have gone?’ then it’s not going to work for you, you need to be 100 per cent committed to the job.

“So I’m playing Aussie Rules. I’m completely focused on that until I’m told otherwise, that it’s not going to work.

“But I’m extremely happy. I fixed up a few issues with my body and my skills really went up another level because I could focus on them. They loved the way I attacked the rehab after the hamstring injury.

“I had the option of coming home for the first two weeks, maybe sulking here, because I couldn’t do anything for the first two weeks, but I decided to stay and just really attacked it from the start. That’s why it’s come back so good for me.”

Made my day !!! Thanks for sharing Crash.

nice

Hammie clearly didn’t affect his 2.2km!

Sounds like the attitude of a winner!

Hope he can find the footy smarts to make it in the big time. He has the size, the shape and the mentality.
I like that Glass has a mate. If both end up in the backline it could be a great sustained friendship

The Go Home factor is likely reduced when you recruit two from the same country

I have a feeling Shem would have left earlier without Kurt around (not a great example because he left anyway).

I was really excited by that last Irish guy and was super disappointed when he left

But yeah - his physical attributes (strength and speed) are pretty impressive

I like that Glass has a mate. If both end up in the backline it could be a great sustained friendship

The Go Home factor is likely reduced when you recruit two from the same country

I have a feeling Shem would have left earlier without Kurt around (not a great example because he left anyway).

I was really excited by that last Irish guy and was super disappointed when he left

But yeah - his physical attributes (strength and speed) are pretty impressive
He and Glass on the list might be a very good way to coerce another young Irishman to come over and join our ranks, who we are pursuing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he can find the footy smarts to make it in the big time. He has the size, the shape and the mentality.

He has the aerobic capacity and speed as well. Solid 2.2km times for a tall would be a dream for coaches, as key talls have to spend more time on ground than other players - having that enhanced ability to cover ground and wear out your defender is important.

He and Glass on the list might be a very good way to coerce another young Irishman to come over and join our ranks, who we are pursuing.
Care to share who the Irishman we're pursuing is?

I don't think we should question 'footy smarts' for anyone that's played Gaelic Rules for many years. AFL and Gaelic footy are close cousins, 360 degree football, non-stop, similar rules and ball movement. Coming from rugby or American codes it's a very valid question, but not close cousins. It's purely skills, attitude, application & good coaching. So far Nash has all of that. Not much different to any other young draftee starting out at AFL level IMO.

Is this David Clifford? I heard we were having a good crack at him but he has decided to stay in Ireland.
Yeah, I think I read somewhere that he was going to stay in Ireland for at least another 12 months....but apparently we have our eye on another talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back