wrfl18.jpg

Old Fella

Debutant
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think the WRFL got it right.

Looking forward to 2018.

Noticed 2 sporting grounds announced for Williams Landing. Give it 4 or 5 years, might see a club there or in Truganina where 2 grounds already exist.
If this is going to be the case, then there needs to be a massive amount of work in getting the Under 17's and Under 19's right. The 19's at the moment are a shambles. Senior clubs should be doing everything they can to ensure they have one, no matter which Division they are in. Div 1 clubs shouldn't be allowed to field without a Under 19's side. I know that used to be part of the By-Laws.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If this is going to be the case, then there needs to be a massive amount of work in getting the Under 17's and Under 19's right. The 19's at the moment are a shambles. Senior clubs should be doing everything they can to ensure they have one, no matter which Division they are in. Div 1 clubs shouldn't be allowed to field without a Under 19's side. I know that used to be part of the By-Laws.

The team that has won the last 5 Div 1 flags not fielding an under 19s is beyond a joke.

Also teams paying under 19s should not be allowed unless they play senior football. No contracts for under 19 kids should be permitted clubs are fooling these naive kids and trapping them at clubs they are never going to get a senior game at just so they don’t go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Think the WRFL got it right.

Looking forward to 2018.

Noticed 2 sporting grounds announced for Williams Landing. Give it 4 or 5 years, might see a club there or in Truganina where 2 grounds already exist.
My understanding is Williams Landing was going to be built for AFL but that is now change to Soccer fields, Truganina no chance they will get sides up. You have Old Westbourne next door for seniors and Juniors the demographic moving there isn't AFL.

On U19s massive concern you hope that the newer clubs can look to field as they grow

Old Fella

Debutant
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The team that has won the last 5 Div 1 flags not fielding an under 19s is beyond a joke.

Also teams paying under 19s should not be allowed unless they play senior football. No contracts for under 19 kids should be permitted clubs are fooling these naive kids and trapping them at clubs they are never going to get a senior game at just so they don’t go somewhere else.
Contracting these 19's also gives them an unrealistic view of where they are at. At that age, the good ones should still be looking to head to VFL. If you want to earn the coin, play 1's or VFl, not 19's. It's irresponsible of both parties, and its part of the bigger issue, where we are now watching mercenaries run around on Saturdays, not footballers who love their club, or who love the game, and have no interest if the club folds next year, because them and their mates raped it for coin and then buggered off.

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Contracting these 19's also gives them an unrealistic view of where they are at. At that age, the good ones should still be looking to head to VFL. If you want to earn the coin, play 1's or VFl, not 19's. It's irresponsible of both parties, and its part of the bigger issue, where we are now watching mercenaries run around on Saturdays, not footballers who love their club, or who love the game, and have no interest if the club folds next year, because them and their mates raped it for coin and then buggered off.

Good post, but any U19 looking to play VFL or get drafted are most likely in the Jets System. It will change in the western region with 2 clubs stand alone in the VFL. It gives young kids a chance to play VFL. Saying that 500-1000 a week cash in hand to play local footty is a pretty big lure for any promising young footballer.

Old Fella

Debutant
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good post, but any U19 looking to play VFL or get drafted are most likely in the Jets System. It will change in the western region with 2 clubs stand alone in the VFL. It gives young kids a chance to play VFL. Saying that 500-1000 a week cash in hand to play local footty is a pretty big lure for any promising young footballer.
Plenty of kids get overlooked for Jets and Cannons. They actually have a bloody bad history of it. There are a million reasons, like moving to the area from the bush or out of state, being from an under-performing club, being a late bloomer, etc etc, but there are always kids who miss out, who can still get themselves on a VFL list if they actually look to go that way, or if they are serious about their footy.

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I agree, U19s should not be paid unless they play a game(s) in Seniors during the year. Those clubs found to be paying U19s
should loose premiership points and a point be added to players point classification if they play seniors at that club

CoachK

Senior List
May 7, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree, U19s should not be paid unless they play a game(s) in Seniors during the year. Those clubs found to be paying U19s
should loose premiership points and a point be added to players point classification if they play seniors at that club
I don't disagree with that. Keeping money out of 19's (and below) can only be a good thing. List them as Senior players, pay them accordingly, and let them develop through there if they need money, but don't suddenly drop them back for 19's Finals, because that would be a piss take as well.

Avg at best

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
My understanding is Williams Landing was going to be built for AFL but that is now change to Soccer fields, Truganina no chance they will get sides up. You have Old Westbourne next door for seniors and Juniors the demographic moving there isn't AFL.

On U19s massive concern you hope that the newer clubs can look to field as they grow
You never know ...
Lots of middle eastern kids love footy, perhaps local council or the WRFL should get in contact with the Islamic College to promote the game.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
There were a number of Muslim juniors at Westbourne (one of the Westbourne sponsors was the local halal butcher). I believe some went to Newport. I'm in two minds - it is nice to promote the game, but I wouldn't want to see it become as tribal and ethnic like soccer.

Avg at best

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
There were a number of Muslim juniors at Westbourne (one of the Westbourne sponsors was the local halal butcher). I believe some went to Newport. I'm in two minds - it is nice to promote the game, but I wouldn't want to see it become as tribal and ethnic like soccer.
I grew up in Altona Meadows and played my junior footy at Laverton we had all different races at our club and a lot of them were Lebanese. If done correctly it can and will work. If it means footy has a leg up over the world game in the area then I say it should be at least attempted.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace

2 footy grounds completed on Palmers Road in Williams Landing, look ready for use. No rooms though.

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
2 footy grounds completed on Palmers Road in Williams Landing, look ready for use. No rooms though.
You have 2 brand new ovals with rooms and more importantly a good size social and kitchen area off Leakes Rd Truganina. From what i see since Westbourne moved to Tarneit and become Wyndham Suns they have lost nearly all there Junior program most likely only fielding 1 junior side in 2018. They should seriously look at moving to this new facility in Truganina, Tarneit can't sustain two clubs

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Quick history lesson Wickers - not being sarcastic, just filling you in. Westbourne Juniors were asked to leave the school (primarily) due to wear and tear on the grounds. There was a choice of abandoning the juniors, or taking them en masse and forming a new club. The council advised what sports ground development was taking place and we decided to go to Goddard St and become the Suns, with an U19 side and (eventually) seniors in the VAFA. We just missed out getting Wootten Rd as it was earmarked for a new club (Tarneit Titans).

So Westbourne juniors == Wyndham Suns. Westbourne seniors remained at the school.

Then the usual politics and pettiness and skullduggery and fallings-out ensued, Suns moved from VAFA to WRFL and Westbourne do whatever Westbourne do and good luck to them.

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Quick history lesson Wickers - not being sarcastic, just filling you in. Westbourne Juniors were asked to leave the school (primarily) due to wear and tear on the grounds. There was a choice of abandoning the juniors, or taking them en masse and forming a new club. The council advised what sports ground development was taking place and we decided to go to Goddard St and become the Suns, with an U19 side and (eventually) seniors in the VAFA. We just missed out getting Wootten Rd as it was earmarked for a new club (Tarneit Titans).

So Westbourne juniors == Wyndham Suns. Westbourne seniors remained at the school.

Then the usual politics and pettiness and skullduggery and fallings-out ensued, Suns moved from VAFA to WRFL and Westbourne do whatever Westbourne do and good luck to them.

Looking at the present all I know is the Suns are struggling to get juniors to the point they are basically giving away junior memberships to try and field sides in 2018. If they move to Truganina which is a better facility than both Goddard St and Wootten Rd, they get back to close to the area which they did establish a good junior program

Bunton11

Debutant
Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

So in saying that, not that I knew the story.
School disbanded the juniors, so Wyndham Suns form, as a new club.
Westbourne Senior Football Club, seem to be a well respected club, so maybe they should apply for the new grounds in Truganina, so they can have juniors again, on the back of their good name & somewhere for kids from the school to stick together and play with.

So in saying that, not that I knew the story.
School disbanded the juniors, so Wyndham Suns form, as a new club.
Westbourne Senior Football Club, seem to be a well respected club, so maybe they should apply for the new grounds in Truganina, so they can have juniors again, on the back of their good name & somewhere for kids from the school to stick together and play with.
Think you will find that is exactly what they are planning.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
maybe they should apply for the new grounds in Truganina, so they can have juniors again, on the back of their good name & somewhere for kids from the school to stick together and play with.

Unless there has been a major policy shift from the school, that's unlikely. We had very few from the school playing juniors. But as I said, its up to them and good luck.

GrumpyOldMan_NC

Monday's Expert
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
What will be the division structure for next year?

I think it's a bit smoke and mirrors, we're all in the dark and then, hey presto, there it is!! With Albion confirming they'll stay in div 1, it looks like it'll be a straight up for PC and down for wyndhamvale. For div 2 the red herring in the wood pile is Melton South from bfl, by the looks of their last season probably div 2 would fit. PCC to come up. So either byes or west is not relegated to bring teams up to 10. Rockbank seems to be not coming over, div 3 would have been their home. Probable byes in div 3. This is all guess work and may have nothing to do with reality

Edit: I wrote 'West is not relegated' but I meant Albanvale.

Last edited:
Back