AFL Umpiring - do you honestly believe they are corruptible?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Brett Allen say something similar about one of the Scott brothers during his Hall of Fame speech? Said something about during a game against Ireland at Croke Park one decision fired up the Irish players and Allen was a bit concerned for his safety till he heard on of the Scott boys say I've got your back. Allen said from then on he never paid a free against him

Yes that’s the one. Thanks for putting it together. Like I said.. it was a vague memory. Lol.

Not a big fan of hearing stuff like that. From what is supposedly a professional umpire in a professional sport.

Yes - Adelaide v Fitzroy, Round 12, 1991

Go you Crows!!
Seriously listen to the vicco trash media call. Need more of it these days,would show us where we really stand.

Seen about 100 games where we have been robbed worse than that. That free kick to Collingwoods jack Anthony for the after the siren win and goal, the hawthorn prelim, that bulldogs 17 to 1 free kick count and that's s just off the top of my dome.

In all seriousness tho, the umpires have zero accountability and it does make you wonder. With our very complex rules and interpretations of them being flexible It would be extremely easy for the umpires to make certain things happen.

Since when has zero accountability been a good thing. Just think about your work place and the little extra things you get away with because you know you can. Like 5 mins extra on a lunch break. Or arriving 15 minutes late. Now imagine you have no accountability and could make than an extra hour lunch break or 45 mins late to work. You take what you can get.

And I'm sure that not every umpire is 100% clean.

Yes that’s the one. Thanks for putting it together. Like I said.. it was a vague memory. Lol.

Not a big fan of hearing stuff like that. From what is supposedly a professional umpire in a professional sport.
Yeah might explain the leg up the lions got
Remember the granny Tarrant post high from 55 Scott claims touched
Yeah let's believe scott

Go you Crows!!
Seriously listen to the vicco trash media call. Need more of it these days,would show us where we really stand.

Seen about 100 games where we have been robbed worse than that. That free kick to Collingwoods jack Anthony for the after the siren win and goal, the hawthorn prelim, that bulldogs 17 to 1 free kick count and that's s just off the top of my dome.
Mate
Agree on the Anthony one but wow we have sure copped our more than fair wack

They're humans making split second decisions underneath pressure.

They are operating under directives to do certain things ie. keep the game flowing, be harsh on deliberate etc., some of which have more emphasis put on them week to week.

They may be told to be harsher or more lenient with certain players, or maybe do so on their own accord ie. Lindsay Thomas.

There is no way they are corrupt in terms of match fixing, firstly because as 1/3 of the officiating umpires it is difficult to exert enough of an influence. There would be a strong culture of integrity and working as a team, people attracted to being umpires aren't doing it for money and fame so it isn't as if they would be easily susceptible to these bribes.

I very vaguely remember hearing a story from I believe a North player saying they were on an end of season trip and happened to be out at the same place as an umpire at the time.

Someone random was giving the umpire a hard time and going to beat him up and a north player stepped in and told the guy to f off.

The umpire said I will never pay a free against you and you will be well looked after. And the guy on open mike laughed and said the umpire lived up to his side of the deal.

Funny? I don't think so.

Corrupt? In some sense.

17 frees to bulldogs and 1 to us by pannell as a bulldogs supporter is bordering on if not out right corrupt. And deserved being looked in to. But the afl ticked off on that before we could even lodge an official complaint.

But in the main, no I don't think they are corrupt. I think they are weak and incompetent and easily influenced by the crowd.

The exception to this imo is razor ray who pays them as he sees them which infuriates the crowd and they claim he is trying to influence the game just because he's not going along with the home town Umpiring that all other umpires fall in to.

Great post.

I think Pannell is morally corrupt. He clearly gets enjoyment out of giving his preferrred team on the day a dream run, but it doesn't mean he has accepted bribes or favours from the AFL necessarily.

I think probably what does happen is the fraternity of umpires reads the vibe or "will" of the AFL and some career-minded ones use it to further their careers. Richmond were the best team in the finals but clearly had the rub of the green throughout and I've little doubt it was resulting from the will of city hall.

The umpires who choose to favour a team, in my mind, are probably an example of good people doing bad things.

They're humans making split second decisions underneath pressure.

They are operating under directives to do certain things ie. keep the game flowing, be harsh on deliberate etc., some of which have more emphasis put on them week to week.

They may be told to be harsher or more lenient with certain players, or maybe do so on their own accord ie. Lindsay Thomas.

There is no way they are corrupt in terms of match fixing, firstly because as 1/3 of the officiating umpires it is difficult to exert enough of an influence. There would be a strong culture of integrity and working as a team, people attracted to being umpires aren't doing it for money and fame so it isn't as if they would be easily susceptible to these bribes.
Saw a game Geel v Nth Melb at Kardinia Park....28 frees North about 12 Geelong. One umpire gave 16 of the Free Kicks to North. He slipped in front of the members (I was There) on his arse and a huge ripple of laughter went through the crowd. He made Geelong pay for his embarrassment for the rest of the day. And you no what I think he enjoyed every free he gave with an extra flourish of his arms. It really was funny to watch except Geel were trying to win a football game. To be honest and it was only a couple of years ago and I cannot remember who won...I think maybe North did. They are human for sure but at the bottom end of the gene pool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't even notice the umpiring on Grand Final day. Only one team turned up, so not surprised if they got more frees.
Totally agree that Richmond were deserving winners, but I was watching the game with some Richmond fans who were pretty pleased with 'the rub of the green', and pretty honest in their evaluation of some decisions. The game was lost at the selection table and in the coaches box, but most of the decisions highlighted in the video are pretty questionable, even weeks after the event.

Totally agree that Richmond were deserving winners, but I was watching the game with some Richmond fans who were pretty pleased with 'the rub of the green', and pretty honest in their evaluation of some decisions. The game was lost at the selection table and in the coaches box, but most of the decisions highlighted in the video are pretty questionable, even weeks after the event.

Atkins picked up the ball when he knew it was a free kick, his choice, bad choice. A huge moment, he really had a woeful game Atkins, and I am a fan of his. Betts blocking Rance was a free-kick everyday of the week, it was for blocking not in the back. Most of the rest are just pedantic ones which we all hope don't get paid in finals. Betts should have got a free in the goal square, but Crows were lucky a couple of times dragging it in inside the tigers FWD50 and weren't pinged HTB.

Atkins picked up the ball when he knew it was a free kick, his choice, bad choice. A huge moment, he really had a woeful game Atkins, and I am a fan of his. Betts blocking Rance was a free-kick everyday of the week, it was for blocking not in the back. Most of the rest are just pedantic ones which we all hope don't get paid in finals. Betts should have got a free in the goal square, but Crows were lucky a couple of times dragging it in inside the tigers FWD50 and weren't pinged HTB.

Agree it was a terrible choice by Atkins, but it wasn't advantage... I mean, how often is that scenario called back to the original contest? And as you say, they're the calls that shouldn't be made in a GF. I guess that's my gripe - usually you can get a clear sense of what IS being called and what isn't, but the umpiring in this game was as predictable as, well, the Match Review Panel.

Agree it was a terrible choice by Atkins, but it wasn't advantage... I mean, how often is that scenario called back to the original contest? And as you say, they're the calls that shouldn't be made in a GF. I guess that's my gripe - usually you can get a clear sense of what IS being called and what isn't, but the umpiring in this game was as predictable as, well, the Match Review Panel.
Maybe the rule is, if you take advantage, realise you are in trouble and put your hands up and stop running, it gets called back. If you take advantage, get hammered in a tackle before you can say to the ump 'i've made a big mistake', it gets reversed. Did Atkins hear the whistle? Maybe it was the prelim where the players were clearly having trouble with that.

Maybe the rule is, if you take advantage, realise you are in trouble and put your hands up and stop running, it gets called back. If you take advantage, get hammered in a tackle before you can say to the ump 'i've made a big mistake', it gets reversed. Did Atkins hear the whistle? Maybe it was the prelim where the players were clearly having trouble with that.
Yeah I think you're right - If you listen to the clip, the advantage call is almost immediate, which probably should have waited a second as the tackle applied was also immediate - honestly there's a split second between the two. Either way, Atkins made a dumb move.

Corrupt? No

Influence the result of matches by given one team half a dozen frees to zip in a short period? In almost every single game this happens and until people start seeing this from both sides it will continue to do so.

the umpires of our game control the momentum of both teams, every minute, every quarter of every round, every season. to me that is everything you need to control the outcome of a game. will anyone deny that the umpires dictate momentum? i don't think so. would people argue that it comes down to a single humans interpretation of events in those split-second decisions? of course. but i don't believe the umpires call everything on their purest merits every passage of play, every game, every year.

Totally agree that Richmond were deserving winners, but I was watching the game with some Richmond fans who were pretty pleased with 'the rub of the green', and pretty honest in their evaluation of some decisions.

the past few years i've felt more and more like there's a game with 3 sides going on out there. i believe the umpires dictate momentum to the sides and they do their best to play their game - basically against the umpires. i honestly feel the contest is against the umpires as much as the opposing team.

this one game this season really stuck in my mind, fairly late in the season friday night game between GWS and the dogs. i made a few calls on the game just from watching the opening bounce and the way the players immediately zoned up. i thought the bulldogs looked like nothing, they had no plan, no desire, no, you know, gameplan, something you're used to seeing if you rock up to a footy game and see two sides out there. i'm pretty sure from the opening bounce the dogs immediately went into zoning and i groaned and thought/said this is going to be a s**t game (i think it was as GWS trounced them, probably easily). a lot of footy games these days feel like some soccer games and i think exactly the same way watching them. from the first second the ball is just slowly passed around the back, the athletes playing out their structures perfectly, then they sloooowly go for something - with the protection of the umpires. a confident team will go harder and faster earlier on in the game - maybe they know they'll have the leeway to attack the opponent without being called on tiny non-fouls. you know how a game hasn't even got into any groove yet but the umpires are calling bullshit left right and centre? that to me is fixing momentum, so the team with the ball finds its groove quicker and the opponent feels the pressure earlier? i don't honestly believe anything either way, i just enjoy looking into it, i grew up with the game but i feel i've seen it change too.

there are so many areas to look at if you're considering corruption, this is all just on field. if you start looking into money i'm sure the story doesn't get any brighter.

I thought no until the 2016 Grand Final:

During 2 1/2 quarters the Swans get 1 free kick and the Bulldogs 15. It is impossible for that to be random and therefore must have been deliberate leading to questions of why. With the AFL a lot of the questions can be answered by looking at the money. The bookies made a fortune out of the Bulldog's win as did the Bulldogs and the AFL. Of course there was also the fairytale of a club that hadn't won a flag for many years, the Victorian vs interstate story and the dominance of a few teams winning most of the Grand Finals in recent history. I don't know how it worked but it happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back