05_JarrodHarbrow.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 5
DOB 18.07.1988
HEIGHT 178
WEIGHT 74
FORMER CLUB Bulldogs

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/jarrod-harbrow/

It’s a homecoming of sorts for Queenslander Jarrod Harbrow, the Gold Coast SUNS fifth uncontracted player signing.

Raised in the state’s far north where he cut his teeth in the Cairns junior competition, in 2011 the former Western Bulldog will be a welcome addition to his new club’s defensive and midfield stocks.

Harbrow was taken by the Dogs with Pick 27 in the 2007 Rookie Draft and made his AFL debut in the same year. Always a speedy, agile and creative ball-user, he nevertheless struggled for consistent form early on but managed to repay his club’s faith during the Bulldogs’ so-near-yet-so-far 2009 AFL Premiership campaign, one that ended just a few points short of a Grand Final berth after a heartbreaking loss to St Kilda in the First Preliminary Final.

He played 23 games in 2009 and averaged 21 touches in each. Used mostly as a dashing defender, he finished sixth in the Dogs’ 2009 Best and Fairest.

This season saw Harbrow build on his consistently good form. He racked up twenty possession-plus games on thirteen occasions, and his more prolific games proved something of a barometer of his team’s on-field success.

Poor Harbrow hasn't had a single post on him yet. :D

No more waiting for Suns.

AFTER another sluggish first quarter against Adelaide at the weekend, the focus for Gold Coast on Monday morning was on getting on the front foot.

The Suns were second to the ball in the opening term against the Crows and were smashed 9-1 in the centre clearances, 26-7 in the inside 50s and were lucky to be down by just 31 points at the first change.

It was a theme that was all too familiar in 2011.

Against Adelaide they battled hard after the first-term thumping before giving up the game's final four goals - but it was too late, the horse had bolted.

One of the Suns' best on Saturday was small defender Jarrod Harbrow, who racked up 17 disposals, and along with Melbourne recruit Matthew Warnock, led an under-siege backline.

Harbrow was at a loss to explain why Gold Coast started so slowly, but said they had to learn to be more proactive than reactive.

"You can plan as much as you want but when you go out there and can sense it's starting to happen (losing momentum), it's a matter of talking," he said.

"That's got to happen all over the ground and we have to identify it out on the footy field and make sure they don't get a roll on.

"Sometimes they get a roll on and it's too late, we react too late, we have to be proactive and get on the front foot."

It echoes sentiments post-match from Harbrow's skipper Gary Ablett, who said players should not wait for instructions from the coaches' box and needed to switch things up themselves.

Harbrow said the Suns had to be hungrier to win the ball first, because once they did that, the defensive structures had stood up well.

He said it was not just experienced players who needed to show the way.
"When they kick a few early goals, that's when the team has to knuckle down.

"You could say that has to start from the senior boys to drive that, but I think the group as it is, the young lads are just as important to show that leadership.

"That's where we are as a footy club, those guys have to fast-track really quick to become leaders of the footy club."

Trent McKenzie and Sam Day both got through their second reserves matches at the weekend after recovering from injury and will be available for selection when the Suns play St Kilda at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Interesting to note that Harbrow was pushing much further up the ground against Essendon. Not sure if he was starting in the middle or what, but he had two shots on goal, nailing one of them. Is he feeling more confident to do his dash off defense? It's certainly making him look far more dangerous. Playing the role he's suited.

He's certainly come switched on this year. Something has clicked. He'd be right there at the moment in our top 5 for the B&F.

Harbrow relishing time in the Suns.

JARROD-WALKING-TALL.jpg

ONE year on from his big move north, Suns defender Jarrod Harbrow is in a good place.

The 23-year-old has bought a house on the southern end of the Gold Coast with his partner Emma, where they live with emerging star Harley Bennell.

He is much happier and it's beginning to show on the field, coming off what he is the first to admit was the `toughest year' of his career.

"The lifestyle is amazing here," Harbrow said.

"The 23-year-old has bought a house on the southern end of the Gold Coast with his partner Emma, where they live with emerging star Harley Bennell."

Unless Jarrod's partner's name is Emma and Harley has recently moved in, doesn't this line sound very familiar to Karmichael Hunt's situation?

"The 23-year-old has bought a house on the southern end of the Gold Coast with his partner Emma, where they live with emerging star Harley Bennell."

Unless Jarrod's partner's name is Emma and Harley has recently moved in, doesn't this line sound very familiar to Karmichael Hunt's situation?
I believe Jarrod & K both have partners called Emma.

Great to hear Jarrod was one of the three finalists for the inaugural Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award, along with Collingwood captain Nick Maxwell & Richmond midfielder Daniel Jackson. Jackson was named as the winner, as part of the Brownlow Medal celebrations last night.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/148341/default.aspx
Gold Coast Suns player Jarrod Harbrow has been instrumental in championing the Suns’ work in the remote indigenous communities across the state of Queensland and beyond. In the Far North Queensland community of Bamaga, Jarrod led a contingent of players to achieve the start up of the “No Boundaries Partnership Program” in 2011 which aims to mentor students in at risk communities. Working with the Queensland government, Jarrod championed the launch of the No Boundaries Indigenous Program in Gold Coast in 2012 to support at risk Indigenous Primary school students. Jarrod’s outstanding commitment to indigenous communities was demonstrated when he nominated himself to be the Gold Coast Suns Senior Indigenous Ambassador for 2011 and 2012. This year’s AFL Indigenous Round was made special for the Gold Coast Suns when Jarrod developed and initiated the inaugural Indigenous Cultural awareness session for his fellow teammates and staff. The session was aimed at raising awareness of indigenous culture by sharing stories and discussing the heritage of each Indigenous player at the Suns.

Harbrow keen to turn form around.
DEFENDER Jarrod Harbrow didn't beat around the bush when asked about his first season with the Suns.

"Disappointing" and "inconsistent" were words he used to describe the year despite averaging more than 20 possessions and playing every game in 2011.

The former Western Bulldog knew he could do better and admits that trying to adapt to his new surroundings at the Suns took its toll.

"I wasn't happy at all with my first year," he said. "I wouldn't say I took my foot off the pedal but it just took longer than I had hoped to gel with my teammates and get used to playing with a new team."

But the 24-year-old is adamant he is better for the experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A legendary effort by his parents.

I hoped he helped with their relocation expenses back to Queensland and a flight costs to watch him play!

I thought it should be noted that late last season Harbrow overtook Che Cockatoo-Collins for the most AFL games played by an Indigenous Queenslander. Perhaps more importantly (for development, if nothing else) he has played majority of those games for a Queensland side and is in the box seat to become the first 100-gamer at the Suns. He really is the perfect guy to be running an academy for Indigenous Queenslanders. Well done, Harbs!

Interesting year for Harbs coming up. Played the loose man a fair bit last year and his possession numbers were up. He's probably lucky that Saad has returned to Melbourne or else he'd be competing with Joyce for the small defender.
Wouldn't surprise me if he played some NEAFL next year.

Not sure about NEAFL. Remember how his form was before his suspension? He was borderline AA and was winning our BnF. He just wasn't the same at all after he came back. Hopefully with a summer on the track he can properly move on from it.

If he's in that form slump in the new year though, could be NEAFL time. We obviously wanted to keep him around though after the Pies came knocking for his services.

Shoutout to club legend Jarrod Harbrow who has been absolutely dominating for the undefeated Broadbeach Cats this year. Broady are now 9-0 this season and look well on their way to back-to-back QAFL premierships.

1CTCUaC.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back