Tigers - 2017 Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the grand final again.

I don't usually notice the umpires, but on this viewing I must say - apart from a few dodgy 50's to Adelaide - it was a pleasure to watch them ply their trade.

They didn't try and take centre stage. Just paid the obvious ones, and let the game flow for the most part.

Just watched the grand final again.

I don't usually notice the umpires, but on this viewing I must say - apart from a few dodgy 50's to Adelaide - it was a pleasure to watch them ply their trade.

They didn't try and take centre stage. Just paid the obvious ones, and let the game flow for the most part.

Agree.

At first I thought that must mean we got the rub of the green, but on a 7th viewing, it was clear they simply did a great job.

How?

Being a long term critic of Dimma and an advocate that the tigers had been underperforming under Dimmas football department, how on earth did the Tigers turn it on like they did?
Whilst most tiger fans were calling for recruiters to be sacked, players to be sacked etc. in the past, I was more critical on how we moved the ball when we gained possession. We had the list IMO. Caddy Prestia and Nankervous all were great pick ups but we had them covered in the past with a fit Deledio, Maric and Miles.
We have always been a good side when we don't have the ball... we would cause turn overs and dominate large periods of game time with out capitalising on the score board.. our negative, slow ball movement allowed the opposition to get back and flood.
So what changed?
Before I start I'm not trying to take the gloss off the coach of the year? Well Maybe a little bit.

In comes fresh faces with new ideas and new voices... Dimma is off overseas whilst Blake Caracalla starts preseason .. the mantra changes, the talk is players will be picked on form.. the over coaching is replaced with simple instructions.
Enter preseason games... wow what a difference. Didn't see us kick backwards once... attacking direct football.
We win the first 5 matches on the back of direct, attacking football.
We start picking players on form rather than structure and what we think works... Dimma just needed to try Taylor Hunt one more time??? And his love affair with Morris up forward needed another go against Adelaide???
Slowly you could see the influence that the new football department was having on our selections... if you didn't run, chase and get to contests you didn't get picked!!! Our pressure wasnt just built on tackling but in multiple efforts ... our forwards were running hard taking kilometres off the mids... which allowed the mids to run hard back and help the defence.
As the season progressed our "chaos" ball going forward did not rely on any set plan... just get it forward and do it quick.
This puts the opposition under pressure ... the wall bursts.
Our obsession with creating inside 50 stoppages was finally gone... and so was our love affair with three tall forwards...a year with out seeing Hampson resting in the forward line was worth the membership alone.
Suddenly we found ourselves with just Jack up forward preferring to ditch structure for 18 players that were going to fight in the contest... old hips Hampson was on the LTI list... this made us work harder when moving the ball... no lazy long kicks down the line to Maric or Vickery in the pocket, just direct, attacking, forward ball movement.
Yes we looked at what the Dogs did and moulded it to suit our players...it evolved as the season went on and we created momentum ...
Numerous sliding door moments happen through out the year and some luck went our way... No bigger moment than when Caddy did his Hammy.. which finally gave Townsend his overdue call up, which ends up being the missing defensive forward we were lacking...his scalps we Johnson, Carlisle, Henderson, Haynes then Lever in GF.

The question now is can we improve?
Providing we pick on form and build on what we know works I don't see why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can finish 7th, win the flag and not play finals the following year.
You can finish 13th one year and then the following year be the 4/5th best team for that year and win the flag.

It's a different time now....the days in which you had to be a very good team for a number of years or at the least be considered the best 1 or 2 teams of that year are gone. If this current trend continues......Premierships will be like junior participation awards in which every club in the modern era will have one.

Mediocrity is now King
#cashinnow

You can finish 13th one year and then the following year be the 4/5th best team for that year and win the flag.

It's a different time now....the days in which you had to be a very good team for a number of years or at the least be considered the best 1 or 2 teams of that year are gone. If this current trend continues......Premierships will be like junior participation awards in which every club in the modern era will have one.

Mediocrity is now King
#cashinnow

We finished 3rd...

How many minor premiers have won the flag in the last 20 years?

here's a theory...Ken Hinkley won us the flag.

Port vs Richmond 1st July, Hinkley sends Trengove to FWD 50 with primary job to physically intimidate Rance, anything else a bonus. It works for 60 minutes, Dixon/trengers run some pretty good patterns.

Dimma remembers...but it takes until Rd 23 to find the guy that can do a 'Trenger' in Townsend..turns out the guy is clutch shooting for goal as well, and the rest is history.

Mediocrity is now King
#cashinnow

*, I wish Fremantle were mediocre :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back