Remove this Banner Ad

When are the numbers released?

I’ve seen plenty of other clubs announce theirs
Club website says from 8am tomorrow.

Herald Sun just went with this a few moments ago though:

3e40481266a1f131cdc6cccdfc179bc9

Young = 2
Dunkley = 5

Who was the last player to stay in 33 longer than a couple of years? Do you have to go all the way back to Royal?

I always rated it as a number

Nobody has worn 33 for particularly long since Royal.

Details here courtesy of Spiritof82 :thumbsu:

The club have released the story early after the Herald Sun decided to spoil the announcement for some reason:

Numbers’ up for Dunkley, Young

HERO_DunkleyYoung25.jpg

Young Bulldogs Lewis Young and Josh Dunkley have inherited new guernsey numbers for season 2018.

The Western Bulldogs will reveal their 2018 guernsey numbers today, with youngsters Lewis Young and Josh Dunkley the first changes to be revealed, taking on numbers’ two and five respectively.

At four more key times throughout Wednesday - 12:00pm, 2:00pm, 4:00pm and 6:00pm (AEDT) - the remaining guernsey numbers for the upcoming 2018 season will be announced. The guernsey numbers will be revealed across westernbulldogs.com.au, the official Bulldogs Mobile App and the Club's social media channels -Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

The numbers two and five became available following the retirements of Club legends and former captains Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd after the 2017 season after 33 seasons and 604 combined games.

The significance of their inheritance wasn’t lost on either the 20-year-old Dunkley or 18-year-old Lewis Young.

“I got a call from Bevo the day before pre-season,” Young recounted to westernbulldogs.com.au

“He said, ‘we’ve got number two here for you, the coaches have decided that you’d be a player that would take that number over, and we’d like to offer it to you.’

“So then there was a decision whether I wanted to take it or not, obviously I did, and I was very humbled be asked to.”

For Dunkley, who with 24 senior games to his name is only fractionally more experienced than seven-gamer Young, said taking Boyd’s former number five gave him ‘goosebumps’.

“The player that he was, not only on field but off field as well,” he said.

“The first day at the footy club, he took me under his wing straight away. It’s just a massive honour to wear his number.”

Not sure what's more surprising: Dunkley ditching his premiership number or Young getting #2 so quickly??

Bailey Dale for number 8 or 9 then? I thought he'd be first in line to drop to a lower number ;)

Would have preferred Bailey Dale get #2 but happy for Young to get it. Dunkley giving up a premiership number is just strange through considering it isn’t a high number like in the 30’s or 40’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, imho the players who have left shouldn't have a say in whoever gets their number. And, if you win a flag in a number you should keep it. And, if Boyd and Bob did get a say it's presumptuous of them to pick a player who's won a flag in a certain number and assume they will be happy to change. I think a more senior player (who was happy to change) should have got the option of changing and if no one wants to, give it to the trade-ins.

Well, imho the players who have left shouldn't have a say in whoever gets their number. And, if you win a flag in a number you should keep it. And, if Boyd and Bob did get a say it's presumptuous of them to pick a player who's won a flag in a certain number and assume they will be happy to change. I think a more senior player (who was happy to change) should have got the option of changing and if no one wants to, give it to the trade-ins.
“I got a call from Bevo the day before pre-season,” Young recounted to westernbulldogs.com.au

“He said, ‘we’ve got number two here for you, the coaches have decided that you’d be a player that would take that number over, and we’d like to offer it to you.’

Sounds like Murph didn't have a say in Young taking over the number. Not sure about Dunks.

I just think Bailey Dale would have been better at 5 because like you say Dunks won a flag in 20

Makes me think if they are doing 2 announcements at a time, and there is only 7 new players, and there is four announcments to come that there is one other player who is changing numbers

Makes me think if they are doing 2 announcements at a time, and there is only 7 new players, and there is four announcments to come that there is one other player who is changing numbers
Dale -> 8 or 9 would be my guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back