Employment Skilled jobs that don't pay well

Remove this Banner Ad

Shitposting teachers. It’s like a national sport.

Take your 48 week working year. Condense it into 40 weeks. 38 if you’re private. That’s what we do. We get paid decently but *, it could be a fair whack more to be fair. I’m leaving the profession at the end of this year for this reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's indeed the carrot. The hours and stress for what we're paid is not sufficient in the here and now though.
Yep. Working in finance i reckon im qualified to make the opinion.

Its like a paid internship. The hours are long and pay is poo. But the experience using different systems, different procedures and exposure to different types of industries is invaluable. Plus the support you get towards your cpa/ca is also a big bonus.

Once you move into the commercial sector it is a finance manager/senior finance role too.

Having said that, most auditors are weird units

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep. Working in finance i reckon im qualified to make the opinion.

Its like a paid internship. The hours are long and pay is poo. But the experience using different systems, different procedures and exposure to different types of industries is invaluable. Plus the support you get towards your cpa/ca is also a big bonus.

Once you move into the commercial sector it is a finance manager/senior finance role too.

Having said that, most auditors are weird units

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I'm actually surprised how normal most people where I am are.

Can we please not have a sh*thight about teachers. Thwy never stop whinging about their pay and of slips he say 11 weeks of paid holiday, even if 4 of those weeks are spent working, that's still nearly twice the basic yearly annual leave entitlement.
Hands down they do a wonderful job and serve an integral, but FMD the whinging is relentless
People whinging about teachers are worse. Most public holidays are during school holidays. They don't get to choose their annual leave so basically have to pay peak rates whenever they go on holiday. They pay for a lot of work expenses out of their own pocket (in the public sector at least). And they have to put up with countless people who whinge about how little work they have to do or not paying little Johhny enough attention.

Social Workers!

4 year Bachelor degree minimum. Often do many of the same subjects as psychologists, etc.

Work with drug addicts, people with serious mental health issues, domestic violence/child abuse problems, people with lots of criminal behaviour, etc.

Get little to no respect and usually end up working way more than 40 hour weeks because people issues, incidents, etc. that usually come up after hours, middle of the night, etc.

40 - 50K is about standard with a ceiling of about 80K in upper management (after 10-20 years + of service). Upper management in this sector is a very tough gig (managing massive teams of overstretched people that work with societies hardest issues on a shoestring budget).

Luckily there are enough 'bleeding hearts' in the world who do the job because they care meaning wages can afford to stay so low.

People whinging about teachers are worse. Most public holidays are during school holidays. They don't get to choose their annual leave so basically have to pay peak rates whenever they go on holiday. They pay for a lot of work expenses out of their own pocket (in the public sector at least). And they have to put up with countless people who whinge about how little work they have to do or not paying little Johhny enough attention.
Teachers get like, 75% of school holidays off though?

Not to mention a month over Christmas.

Not to mention very regimented, easy work hours of 8-5ish at the most Monday to Friday. Try getting up at 4am every day to work in hot or cold, stuffy or dirty, dangerous factories, construction sites, etc. etc. Or people who bust their arse in hospitality on their feet all day, generally working all weekend from about 4pm to 3am in a market where underpayment is rife and things like breaks etc. are not sanctioned.

Then there's the cushy gigs they get – putting your hand up to go on a sports carnival romp, or a weekend away. While getting paid.

Plus the captive audience of impressionable kids, of which many teachers take advantage of. Ie bullying kids, playing favourites, those who stand up and grandstand about politics and life...

Then there's the ease of getting accepted in degrees and how simple the degree is. It's not six or seven hours of intensive study, or something requiring even years of chronic underpayment (people who do apprenticeships).

And as someone else said, there's a ludicrous amount of job security. You'd have to pretty much sexually assault someone to get fired. Harassment, bullying is overlooked. Gross incompetence is everywhere, from teachers who have no idea on how to provide information to those who provide blatantly wrong information (had teachers who could barely spell), to those who are simply old campaigners or insane art teachers... well... good luck being someone in an industry that is prone to stores shutting down or entire industries slowing, not to mention the amount of teachers I had who would brag about coming in hungover.

* school teachers.

Yeah teachers don't get enough respect I 100% agree but surely you can see why people who do strenuous outdoors trades (for examples) roll their eyes when main complaints from teachers are "our annual leave coincides with peak holiday rates" and have to put up with some whinging from parents...it's not exactly comparable to slaving away as a boilermaker or roadworker etc in shitty climates.

I'm a teacher in WA. Something I definitely cant complain about is the pay. Second year teaching just done and already making about 84k. And this will go up for the next 10 years or so. My wife is a deputy making well over 100k, and we have no kids so life is great. Now Im pretty much guaranteed a job for life having just gained permanency winning a position off my own back this year. Its almost impossible to be laid off barring doing something extremely stupid. Conditions are great, and professional development is excellent for graduate teachers. Overall its a great job - you put 100% into it, which I do because I love it, and it rewards you equally and more, both extrinsically and intrinsically. Plus the hours and holidays lets me do research work for my old uni which I enjoy equally.

As for all those envious f***keads out there working deadend the jobs you hate who love to complain about us - suck a throbbing veiny monster and get back to work, smoko is over!!!!

Last edited:

Not to mention very regimented, easy work hours of 8-5ish at the most Monday to Friday. Try getting up at 4am every day to work in hot or cold, stuffy or dirty, dangerous factories, construction sites, etc. etc. Or people who bust their arse in hospitality on their feet all day, generally working all weekend from about 4pm to 3am in a market where underpayment is rife and things like breaks etc. are not sanctioned.

Then there's the cushy gigs they get – putting your hand up to go on a sports carnival romp, or a weekend away. While getting paid.

Plus the captive audience of impressionable kids, of which many teachers take advantage of. Ie bullying kids, playing favourites, those who stand up and grandstand about politics and life...

Then there's the ease of getting accepted in degrees and how simple the degree is. It's not six or seven hours of intensive study, or something requiring even years of chronic underpayment (people who do apprenticeships).

And as someone else said, there's a ludicrous amount of job security. You'd have to pretty much sexually assault someone to get fired. Harassment, bullying is overlooked. Gross incompetence is everywhere, from teachers who have no idea on how to provide information to those who provide blatantly wrong information (had teachers who could barely spell), to those who are simply old campaigners or insane art teachers... well... good luck being someone in an industry that is prone to stores shutting down or entire industries slowing, not to mention the amount of teachers I had who would brag about coming in hungover.

**** school teachers.

True .. if your not a teacher then you are basically stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** school teachers.

Eat s**t hipster boy!

Also half of the science fields have s**t pay for the amount of time and responsibility that is needed. May as well not do chemistry, physics, or biology as the vast majority of jobs are casual and if you are lucky to get a full time role than the pay will be around the 60k a year unless you are in management of course. Geologists are the only ones that come to mind on very good money... but huge responsibilities and a bad/incorrect call could seriously destroy a start up company and waste millions of dollars.

I'm in the environmental/geology field and pay is actually pretty good for a grad.... if you can get a job which are very hard to get at the moment.

Some very good teachers are on the same wage as a s**t one. That's the problem of working in the public sector... problem I see is that there seems to be a hell of a lot more s**t teachers than good ones these days.
Sick signature, between this and your rumours you're my new fave poster.

eople whinging about teachers are worse. Most public holidays are during school holidays. They don't get to choose their annual leave so basically have to pay peak rates whenever they go on holiday..
Honestly that cannot be a reason to whinge.

Can we please not have a sh*thight about teachers. Thwy never stop whinging about their pay and of slips he say 11 weeks of paid holiday, even if 4 of those weeks are spent working, that's still nearly twice the basic yearly annual leave entitlement.
Hands down they do a wonderful job and serve an integral, but FMD the whinging is relentless
People kick the boots into teachers. They defend themselves. Usually not the other way around.

I'm a teacher, from Saturday through to today I've done 41 hours. Add the 10 tomorrow and whatever I do Friday and tell me it's not a job you feel you need to defend when people with a bad experience talk rubbish!

Teachers aren't paid a low amount, but they are paid less than what they are worth. Want to weed out many poor ones? Pay what they are worth and attract more people to the profession.

There are bad teachers who work their bare minimum, just like there are bad cops and bad lawyers and bad check out chicks at woolies and bad.....

People kick the boots into teachers. They defend themselves. Usually not the other way around.

I'm a teacher, from Saturday through to today I've done 41 hours. Add the 10 tomorrow and whatever I do Friday and tell me it's not a job you feel you need to defend when people with a bad experience talk rubbish!

Teachers aren't paid a low amount, but they are paid less than what they are worth. Want to weed out many poor ones? Pay what they are worth and attract more people to the profession.

There are bad teachers who work their bare minimum, just like there are bad cops and bad lawyers and bad check out chicks at woolies and bad.....
But unlike police and teachers, check out girls do not have any social importance. Teachers have a role of education and police are there to enforce rules but of course both sets of people can forget the way they're supposed to do their role. A chick at Woolies might bag something badly or not know where the eggs are... that's not that important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back