Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I did back today (deadlifts included) and afterwards my left glute felt a bit twinge-y when I walked home. Didn't feel any pain while exercising, or while doing legs two days ago. Got home, and it got a bit worse. Feels fine when I sit down, but if I sit down/get up etc. I need to put all my weight on the other leg... but then also, I can't NOT put any weight on the painful leg too, as a certain angle will also make it hurt.

What feels the most comfortable when I get up/sit down/pick something up is like doing a single leg Romanian deadlift action, and putting all my weight on the right leg and following through.

The 'pain' is kind of like - dead centre in my left glute. Feels kind of like a strain-y, dull. Sometimes it feels like, if there was a 'socket', it would go up to a socket. Any ideas if this is muscle, tendon...etc? I haven't been going too hard out lately at all.

cptkirk Aeglos saj_21 + anyone pls help.

Sorry Vonn my “expertise” is training and diet

2 days without the gym I feel obese. Why do bad things happen to good people?

I feel like my abductor/glute is getting better, so I suspect it's only a minor/grade 1 tear. Unfortunately* though I am going to Europe/Asia in 2-3 weeks for six weeks and won't be able to train. I'm bringing my resistance bands but I am gutted. At least I get to really rest this stupid injury.

*You know you have an unhealthy outlook on training when you're a bit bummed about a holiday because you can't lift. #reallyreallyfirstworldproblem

Out of curiosity why do people always roll out sciatica?
It’s like it’s become sort of catch all pathology when people aren’t sure lol
Back pain? Sciatica
Hamstring pain? Sciatica
Torn calf? Sciatica
Broken leg? Sciatica

Out of curiosity why do people always roll out sciatica?
It’s like it’s become sort of catch all pathology when people aren’t sure lol
Back pain? Sciatica
Hamstring pain? Sciatica
Torn calf? Sciatica
Broken leg? Sciatica

Was expecting a delivery today but it never came. Bloody Sciatica :mad:

Just did 15 bodyweight squats. Lol nope - another week it is :sob:

are you sure its not Lupus?
zR3OnQW.png

Anyone have any tips on warming up the quads? I seem to strain mine enough that it's hurt at the gym and I can't do any lower leg and then it's fine again within 3 days. It's really annoying me because I warm up but I feel like I'm missing something.

Anyone have any tips on warming up the quads? I seem to strain mine enough that it's hurt at the gym and I can't do any lower leg and then it's fine again within 3 days. It's really annoying me because I warm up but I feel like I'm missing something.

Are you sure it’s a strain? Even a minor quad strain is a pretty significant injury due to the size of the muscles.

Is it soreness that develops during or after exercise? Or is it instantly a sharp pain?

Easing back into legs after the worst week ever not squatting. Just did 3x10 with the Olympic bar. No pain - but I could feel it’s still strained. What’s the best way to go about it? More rest and then go back to it? Ease into it and lots of stretching?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I warm up my muscles after stretching by doing a set of low weight/bodyweight reps. This could help?

Are you sure it’s a strain? Even a minor quad strain is a pretty significant injury due to the size of the muscles.

Is it soreness that develops during or after exercise? Or is it instantly a sharp pain?

Sounds like perennial DOMS lol

Easing back into legs after the worst week ever not squatting. Just did 3x10 with the Olympic bar. No pain - but I could feel it’s still strained. What’s the best way to go about it? More rest and then go back to it? Ease into it and lots of stretching?

Can you explain this? I don't get it. Looks interesting.

Basically if you’re not sore at all after exercise you didn’t provide enough stimulus for your body.
If you’re sore for 3 or more days you provided too much stimulus for your body.
If you’re sore for <48 hours and feel good on the 3rd day you got the amount of stimulus just right.

Being a physio Adam is mostly familiar with rehab, but the principles would still hold true in a performance setting

Basically if you’re not sore at all after exercise you didn’t provide enough stimulus for your body.
If you’re sore for 3 or more days you provided too much stimulus for your body.
If you’re sore for <48 hours and feel good on the 3rd day you got the amount of stimulus just right.

Being a physio Adam is mostly familiar with rehab, but the principles would still hold true in a performance setting
Cool. On a related note, what do you think is an optimal number of reps/sets to be doing for each body part each workout?

I see some guys do crazy amounts of volume. They use every piece of equipment in the gym pretty much lol (they are pretty jacked too). I only do my 5 exercises of 3/4 sets. First exercise always being a compound (ie. Bench, deadlift, OHP, etc) in the 4 sets/5 reps range. Then 3 sets/12 reps for the other 4 exercises.

Is this ideal? Or should I step it up a bit?

Cool. On a related note, what do you think is an optimal number of reps/sets to be doing for each body part each workout?

I see some guys do crazy amounts of volume. They use every piece of equipment in the gym pretty much lol (they are pretty jacked too). I only do my 5 exercises of 3/4 sets. First exercise always being a compound (ie. Bench, deadlift, OHP, etc) in the 4 sets/5 reps range. Then 3 sets/12 reps for the other 4 exercises.

There is no ideal rep range, or one size fits all approach. The fact that you are in gym and proving some stimulus to your body is 80% of the battle.

Doing a compound movement first and then some accessory sets at a higher range is the best way to go (from my experience)

But I also go through phases were I will mix up my rep ranges just to keep myself sane.

Saj is correct that there’s no one size fits all number.
Though based on research (and anecdotally) the following appears to be the best starting point
Frequency = >2 week for each muscle group
Number of reps/set = 6-12
Number of sets/muscle group = 4-10
Total number of reps/body part = 40-60
Rest between sets = 2-3 minutes

So using chest as an example;
You might train it Monday and Thursday.
Monday might be your “heavier” day so you do 4 sets of 6 reps on Barbell bench press before moving on and 4 sets of 6 reps of weighted dips (48 reps total).
Then on Thursday you might do DB incline press for 5 sets of 12 (60 reps) as your sole chest exercise.
Obviously Monday is a lot of sets, so if you changed from 6 reps to 8 you’d cut the sets to meet the 40-60 rep criteria from 8 to 5.

Might be an odd question but I have had a few heart related issues lately eg fast heart rate, palpitations ect and think I have an abnormal heart beat. Does anything who maybe suffers similar things such as svt know if Moderate to hard exercise is ok to do?
Not a question for a footy forum, best advice get a referral to a cardiologist

Saj is correct that there’s no one size fits all number.
Though based on research (and anecdotally) the following appears to be the best starting point
Frequency = >2 week for each muscle group
Number of reps/set = 6-12
Number of sets/muscle group = 4-10
Total number of reps/body part = 40-60
Rest between sets = 2-3 minutes

So using chest as an example;
You might train it Monday and Thursday.
Monday might be your “heavier” day so you do 4 sets of 6 reps on Barbell bench press before moving on and 4 sets of 6 reps of weighted dips (48 reps total).
Then on Thursday you might do DB incline press for 5 sets of 12 (60 reps) as your sole chest exercise.
Obviously Monday is a lot of sets, so if you changed from 6 reps to 8 you’d cut the sets to meet the 40-60 rep criteria from 8 to 5.

What happens if you train at max for Monday and Thursday? aka 2 'heavier' days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back