Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
For those who had assistant coach last year (and let's face it - if you are serious about DT, you should have had it) the 2018 team planner is now available and I thought it should be a new thread.
Some points of interest being:
The ruck/fwd loophole will be useless this year as there are very few serious options with this dual positioning.
Total salary cap is $12,600,000.
The salary is based on last year's average score multiplied by 6910 (or thereabouts) with sliding discounts for those who played less than 10 games. Unfortunately, NicNat was only given a 20% discount rather than the usual 30% for those who missed all of the previous season. He may not be as popular now as first thought. As a result Titchell is the highest ranked player at $878,900.
The multiple def/mid options we had last year have dried up with L MacDonald being the highest ranked defender with dpp (ranked 15th) although there are a few more fwd/mid options with Menegola (ranked 1st), Wingard (5th), Heeney (6th) and Boak (8th) all possible top end picks.
For what it's worth my initial squad of 30 (of which only about 4 or 5 will likely survive until round 1) only has 11 in the uber category ($600K+) with 7 of them being mids.
Can't wait til February/March to see how all our rookies are fairing and who will likely fill those vital bench spots.
For those who have it, share your thoughts here.

For those who had assistant coach last year (and let's face it - if you are serious about DT, you should have had it) the 2018 team planner is now available and I thought it should be a new thread.
The ruck/fwd loophole will be useless this year as there are very few serious options with this dual positioning.
The salary is based on last year's average score multiplied by 6910 (or thereabouts) with sliding discounts for those who played less than 10 games. Unfortunately, NicNat was only given a 20% discount rather than the usual 30% for those who missed all of the previous season. He may not be as popular now as first thought. As a result Titchell is the highest ranked player at $878,900.
The multiple def/mid options we had last year have dried up with L MacDonald being the highest ranked defender with dpp (ranked 15th) although there are a few more fwd/mid options with Menegola (ranked 1st), Wingard (5th), Heeney (6th) and Boak (8th) all possible top end picks.
For what it's worth my initial squad of 30 (of which only about 4 or 5 will likely survive until round 1) only has 11 in the uber category ($600K+) with 7 of them being mids.
Can't wait til February/March to see how all our rookies are fairing and who will likely fill those vital bench spots.

Can I ask, if I didn't have it last year, can I sign up for it now. Or is it only for those that signed up last year?

Can I ask, if I didn't have it last year, can I sign up for it now. Or is it only for those that signed up last year?
It is only available to those who had it last year. For this alone, it is worth while paying the $20 it costs.

I'm off the mid-price madness bandwagon after taking huge punts the last 2 years. It's fun but you just end up running out of trades and it has cost me cash league wins both years. Although I am a sucker for a bargain, so we'll see what happens. I have had a go at putting an intial side together, and have tried to go with the guns and rookies approach as much as possible. I am a lot more willing to pay the premium on top draft picks this year as well. While you have to keep them longer to generate the cash, it looks as though several should get an extended run at the club they have been drafted by as long as they get through the pre-season unscathed. Also, referring back to last years watchlist to check out who I had pencilled in last year as first year rookies to keep an eye on has been good. Means they have another pre-season under the belt and should be closer to a debut. I did find it hard to get excited about any of the forwards. Slim pickings and no real must have premos in my opinion. Menegola is expensive and could potentially get squeezed for midfield minutes as long as Ablett stays fit. Franklin is a key forward and never delivers when you need him to, Barlow - meh, Billings can GAGF and then Wingard, well, you only need to look to last year. I might be willing to take a punt or 2 in the forward line.

I'm off the mid-price madness bandwagon after taking huge punts the last 2 years. It's fun but you just end up running out of trades and it has cost me cash league wins both years. Although I am a sucker for a bargain, so we'll see what happens. I have had a go at putting an intial side together, and have tried to go with the guns and rookies approach as much as possible. I am a lot more willing to pay the premium on top draft picks this year as well. While you have to keep them longer to generate the cash, it looks as though several should get an extended run at the club they have been drafted by as long as they get through the pre-season unscathed. Also, referring back to last years watchlist to check out who I had pencilled in last year as first year rookies to keep an eye on has been good. Means they have another pre-season under the belt and should be closer to a debut. I did find it hard to get excited about any of the forwards. Slim pickings and no real must have premos in my opinion. Menegola is expensive and could potentially get squeezed for midfield minutes as long as Ablett stays fit. Franklin is a key forward and never delivers when you need him to, Barlow - meh, Billings can GAGF and then Wingard, well, you only need to look to last year. I might be willing to take a punt or 2 in the forward line.
Agree with most of what you say although I think Birchall, O'Meara and Bennell may be a few mid priced players worth a punt.
We tend to forget about the previous year's rookies who are yet to debut so let's hope a few become relevant.

Agree with most of what you say although I think Birchall, O'Meara and Bennell may be a few mid priced players worth a punt.
We tend to forget about the previous year's rookies who are yet to debut so let's hope a few become relevant.
Yeah, potentially O'Meara could do what many expected him to do last year. But plenty were burnt by him. Bennell I already have pencilled into my forward line. While Birchall is relatively cheap, I am not sure he has enough scope for improvement or scores well enough to warrant being picked.

A little worried what impact will the recruitment of Gibbs have on the Crouch brothers.
I don't think it will affect either myself. Will likely affect Sloane's scoring. If Brad gets a full pre-season, expect him to go to another level. I have been wondering about whether Gibbs could be worthy of a starting spot. Will having a better midfield and system around him help or hinder his scoring. I really don't know ?? He could also be potentially be rotated through that back flank spot left open with Brodie Smith going down.

I don't think it will affect either myself. Will likely affect Sloane's scoring. If Brad gets a full pre-season, expect him to go to another level. I have been wondering about whether Gibbs could be worthy of a starting spot. Will having a better midfield and system around him help or hinder his scoring. I really don't know ?? He could also be potentially be rotated through that back flank spot left open with Brodie Smith going down.
Gibbs and Laird would make a fair half back line.

I'm off the mid-price madness bandwagon after taking huge punts the last 2 years.

Depends you just need to get it right. No mid pricers mean you miss out on the

Heeney, Wingard, Oliver, Kelly, Kreuzer, M.Murphy, Z.Jones, Witts, Ebert, Yeo, M.Crouch, Higgins types from last year and im sure theres plenty more. Start with all of them and your running to the bank.

I must admit a quick look this year it seems to be limited for midpricers compared to years gone by

Depends you just need to get it right. No mid pricers mean you miss out on the

Heeney, Wingard, Oliver, Kelly, Kreuzer, M.Murphy, Z.Jones, Witts, Ebert, Yeo, M.Crouch, Higgins types from last year and im sure theres plenty more. Start with all of them and your running to the bank.

I must admit a quick look this year it seems to be limited for midpricers compared to years gone by
I agree. We did have a multitude of mid priced options this year with many of them being successful however there were a few failures. There seems to be very few next year although I feel Birchall is a certain starter, O'Meara is still value pick "if" his body can stand up. Bennell is far too cheap for the potential score as a forward.
The two real speculative picks I am looking at right now are Armitage and B Ah Chee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. We did have a multitude of mid priced options this year with many of them being successful however there were a few failures. There seems to be very few next year although I feel Birchall is a certain starter, O'Meara is still value pick "if" his body can stand up. Bennell is far too cheap for the potential score as a forward.
The two real speculative picks I am looking at right now are Armitage and B Ah Chee.

Omearas priced at about 62. He certainly shows value and starting preseason is a good sign and hawks have lost more midfield time with Hartung and Hodge (more back but some time middle) gone from the side.

Omeara only needs to avg 85 for the first 7-10 rounds to be worth it

Armitage is fascinating thats for sure hes one ill be keeping an eye on

Yeah those two were right on my radar as well Mr Coot. The other one that I think could be a really good pick is Lobb if he plays as a full time ruckman for GWS. The lack of genuine gun forwards makes him attractive and he could score very well if he has the tank to run out games as a ruckman.

Armitage definitely, what's his price?

Yeah those two were right on my radar as well Mr Coot. The other one that I think could be a really good pick is Lobb if he plays as a full time ruckman for GWS. The lack of genuine gun forwards makes him attractive and he could score very well if he has the tank to run out games as a ruckman.
I would have been all over him had he had ruc/fwd dpp (as he should have).

Never understood why they made it like that - would get more people in if you could sign up now for it and the rest of the season would just be an added benefit.

Never understood why they made it like that - would get more people in if you could sign up now for it and the rest of the season would just be an added benefit.
It's a reward for the people who did spend their money the previous season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back