Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Unbelievable that he has kicked over 600 behinds, youn could conservatively guess that at least 200 of those were very gettable....he should really be around 1000 goals now and could have gave locketts record a shake

Unbelievable that he has kicked over 600 behinds, youn could conservatively guess that at least 200 of those were very gettable....he should really be around 1000 goals now and could have gave locketts record a shake

I think if he can get to 1,000 either way he'll be the second greatest forward of all time. For me, you can't argue with Lockett's haul. That will never ever be surpassed, and he wasn't always in a great side unlike Ablett, Dunstall and even Buddy. But forwards had it much easier in the 80's and 90's than they do today. Can you imagine if Buddy was one-on-one with half the forward 50 left clear all to himself? That's a luxury Lockett and Dunstall and co had that Buddy's never had. More often than not he's being ganged up on by two or three or four defenders and forward 50's are more flooded now. So his 1,000 would be more impressive than any of the others (except Lockett)

I think if he can get to 1,000 either way he'll be the second greatest forward of all time. For me, you can't argue with Lockett's haul. That will never ever be surpassed, and he wasn't always in a great side unlike Ablett, Dunstall and even Buddy. But forwards had it much easier in the 80's and 90's than they do today. Can you imagine if Buddy was one-on-one with half the forward 50 left clear all to himself? That's a luxury Lockett and Dunstall and co had that Buddy's never had. More often than not he's being ganged up on by two or three or four defenders and forward 50's are more flooded now. So his 1,000 would be more impressive than any of the others (except Lockett)

Also imagine how many frees Lockett would give away with pushes in the back and out muscling his opponent :O

That is crazy...half a decade with us

I am not petty or anything, but I really want Buddy to get the Coleman at least one more time (meaning he will have the Colman more with us than Hawthorn). I also really want him to get 2 more AA's and of course at least 1 premiership with us. If he does that then there is an argument to be made that he was more of a Swan in his career than a Hawk.

I am not petty or anything, but I really want Buddy to get the Coleman at least one more time (meaning he will have the Colman more with us than Hawthorn). I also really want him to get 2 more AA's and of course at least 1 premiership with us. If he does that then there is an argument to be made that he was more of a Swan in his career than a Hawk.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if he plays out his contract with us then in all liklihood he'll have played more games/years with us than Hawthorn yes?

He should’ve had close to 1000 goals by now. Factor in 88 behinds in 2008 and the amount of free kicks he’s given away in his career. If he plays 20+ games next year he will kick over 60 goals. He hasn’t kicked under 40 goals since 2006. Easily the greatest forward of this era.

In late 2013 when it was announced Buddy was joining the Swans I was not sure, and I really could not imagine him playing for the Swans, or being in Swans colours. Now though, when I see footage of him playing for the Hawks, he looks a little odd. I can't imagine him playing for another club.

Side note, the red and white really does look better on most players than the yellow and brown, from a pure looks point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy is something special, great to watch and a game winner. Lockett could have had more goals too if he didn't spend a lot of his games injured or suspended so you can make arguments for shoulda woulda coulda. Lockett accuracy was insane he was a real chance with genuine drop punt shots from tight angles. A great field kick, though didn't have to execute that often. But the main win was he was strong overhead Buddy is a bit suspect there and the only real knock on him. Not really comparable and the numbers they finish off with will probably be a fair enough result. Someone will beat Lockett's total. Records fall as things develop. Some of us may not see it but there will be another player of greatness to take the modern game by the scruff and maybe even change every coaches defensive plans. They may tinker with the rules too over the years to encourage more scoring.

Buddy is something special, great to watch and a game winner. Lockett could have had more goals too if he didn't spend a lot of his games injured or suspended so you can make arguments for shoulda woulda coulda. Lockett accuracy was insane he was a real chance with genuine drop punt shots from tight angles. A great field kick, though didn't have to execute that often. But the main win was he was strong overhead Buddy is a bit suspect there and the only real knock on him. Not really comparable and the numbers they finish off with will probably be a fair enough result. Someone will beat Lockett's total. Records fall as things develop. Some of us may not see it but there will be another player of greatness to take the modern game by the scruff and maybe even change every coaches defensive plans. They may tinker with the rules too over the years to encourage more scoring.
Cannot see Locketts record going bit like Bradmans batting average

Buddy isn't the reason why he isn't a Swans premiership player - our much-vaunted midfield just wasn't as good as we thought. The good news is with some improvement from within I think he can still be one. If Richmond can do it, so can we.

Yes, but how many of his goals were virtually unkickable by any other player in the league? They probably balance each other out.

Buddy isn't the reason why he isn't a Swans premiership player - our much-vaunted midfield just wasn't as good as we thought. The good news is with some improvement from within I think he can still be one. If Richmond can do it, so can we.

2016 GF still simmers for Fu RW.

The neutrals performance on the oval had to much magnitude.
Done to death I know.
But..... Fu The Fumer, still twitches at the thought of it all.

Even in Lent....

what he has to deal with week in week out will mean 1000 goals is more like 1300 in the old currency. In an era where defenders...using the term lightly...can man handle scrag and basically do what they like, his ability by and large to rise up and perform the way he does is magnificent.

Talk about moments that need to go in the Swans hetitage list....signing Buddy will be one.

what he has to deal with week in week out will mean 1000 goals is more like 1300 in the old currency. In an era where defenders...using the term lightly...can man handle scrag and basically do what they like, his ability by and large to rise up and perform the way he does is magnificent.

Talk about moments that need to go in the Swans hetitage list....signing Buddy will be one.

I think there can be a genuine discussion about whether or not Buddy is better than Lockett as like you said, the era Buddy played in is so much harder for the big forwards than the era Lockett played in. In the 80's and 90's it was common for a player to kick 10 goals in a match, now days though it happens only a few times a season.

Back