Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
They say you learn by your mistakes.
Unless your a football administrator in Tasmania.

The Cheese maker appears to be biding his time to get on the AFL gravy train boys club in Melbourne, or maybe just back to the dairy industry. ;)

Either way he's just another Barry Breen or Hampson, friking useless. AWOFT.

The Cheese maker appears to be biding his time to get on the AFL gravy train boys club in Melbourne, or maybe just back to the dairy industry. ;)

Either way he's just another Barry Breen or Hampson, friking useless. AWOFT.
Unfortunatly the Job seems to be a place holder for "The Cheesemaker" waiting for a call from the mothership in Melbourne to join, or will go back into a lactose based industry.

To get involved with North Melbourene again... well we seen that before :rolleyes: was the final nail in the Tassie Devils Coffin, after Cressa and stupidly turning their back on games up the Launnie and North West. AFL Tasmania motto "Have no Fear we Stuff Up Here"

Last edited:

The 2018 TSL roster in today Mercury, interesting that the Grand Final will be played at Bellerive regardless who makes it, due to Aurora stadium being relayed.

I had heard Devonport had lost a lot of players but this still comes as a surprise. During the 2017 season it seemed there was a lot of people involved with the club that were very keen to get out of the TSL and go back to the NWFL for good. Its hard to see them coming back into the TSL again. Only one team left on the coast now so how that can be managed will be interesting to see. Burnie have to do the most travel of all the TSL clubs and now it may get worse. If AFL Tas don't manage Burnie's travel in a fair and reasonable way they may be the next to go.

Statements from both league and club below

http://tasmanianstateleague.com.au/2017/12/devonport-withdraw-from-tsl/
The Devonport Football Club have withdrawn from the Tasmanian State League (TSL) for season 2018.

This is a decision that comes as a complete shock to AFL Tasmania, despite a number of opportunities to do so, Devonport Football Club gave no indication of their withdrawal from the TSL prior to last night (14/12/2017).....(Cont)

http://tasmanianstateleague.com.au/2017/12/devonport-football-club-statement-on-tsl-departure/
Devonport Football Club will not be participating in the TSL in 2018.

This decision has not been made lightly, it is a decision made with the future sustainability of the football club at the forefront.......(Cont)

It was blatantly obvious at the end of this season that Devonport couldn't continue in 2 different leagues, they should of pulled out of one or the other as soon as the season finished instead of waiting until now.
Glenorchy couldn't sustain being in the TSL and SFL at the same time and they only lasted a year doing it even with all their resources and being a very strong club with a good following. It was never gonna work.

The fact that Devonport pulled out the day AFTER the TSL roster was released is a complete embarrassment for the TSL. Whats happened at Devonport which would cause them to not say anything to AFL Tas? This apparent lack of communication reflects very badly on both parties.

Devonport seems to have just dropped this on everyone else. Its not a good way to show respect for anyone. However, its the paid minions at AFLTas who should have had their fingers on the pulse. Surely alarm bells should have sounded at AFLTas HQ after players left Devonport for Launceston.

It may well show how out of touch AFLTas really are. More than anyone, it reflects on them. Maybe they've been spending too much time sitting outside the North Melbourne office. Waiting for a call. Waiting for some crumbs off the table.

Maybe they have should have spent more time on Tassie footy matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive breakdown in communiction here. As Mudmag pointed out, the roster was released 2 days ago and then this happens.

We will hear the same old lines coming from headquarters, with no accountability.

Could be the last year I think. Unfortunately things are on a downward spiral.

Its quite sad. I remember when the State league was introduced again and there was a lot of excitement around the league. Now it seems like it is following a similar path to the last state league. What a mess.

Its going to be a big week on the coast. Wonder how Burnie will deal with all this.

Its quite sad. I remember when the State league was introduced again and there was a lot of excitement around the league. Now it seems like it is following a similar path to the last state league. What a mess.

Its going to be a big week on the coast. Wonder how Burnie will deal with all this.

What would happen if Burnie pulled the pin?

Just so dissapointing we are heading down this path. Sense of inevitability now.

licences till 2023 says afl tas

Why do the AFL & its local office, AFLTas, put us through this same cycle of stupidy? TSL1 never consistent nor balanced, teams up, down in out. Destroyed slowly. Then the VFL Devils, stuffed about, amalgamated with North Melbourne just after they'd stuffed Port Melbourne in the VFL. Then ruined by the behaviour of AFL Tas. Then TSL 2, rinse & reset. The same shyte different year. All over again.

AFLTas is supposed to help football, not kill clubs off.

Surely its a simple thing. If they want a State league, they have to run it properly. They get all the information from clubs. They know how tough it is running a club in the current environment. Devonport have been struggling for years. What were the plans to help them achieve stability? We lost a club last year, another one now. How in the hell could a club fold 2 days after the roster was released. That is really bloody pathetic. An organisation, paid so much to run the competition, & they dont even see that coming? They've not aware of the finances & player situation??

Whats next? Another stuffed up VFL team? Honestly. Is it Ground hog day or what?

Just so dissapointing we are heading down this path. Sense of inevitability now.

One more season of SWL I would say only a 51 percent chance of happening, 2018 That will be it at best.....can not have a State League with 5 Southern Clubs and 3 Northern. I Would Guess Burnie to go next. That Splitz Enz song "History never repeats" seems real apt now.

On such a ground-breaking Day you think the Robert Auld would speak, instead we got Carl Saunder who looked and sounded like a "rabbit in the Headlights".
Watching him on the news on Win and reporting, "AFL Tasmania have been blindsided", maybe AFL Tasmania need to get out of the Ivory tower and communicate with the stake holders more. Devonport have been on shaking ground (not for the first time) since 2010 with that half a million dollar debt.

But then I suppose AFL tasmania can rightly say on the other side of the coin Devonport were at a League meeting on the 28th November and did not give the AFL Tas a Heads up and tell them about Lack of player numbers? Shows how bad that Club has been run over the last 25 years they had a debt of 3/4 of a million in 1998, and probably explains why they have only won two senior premierships since 1938. A club of that size and location on the coast Stagers belief to me.

Still what they match with post WWII Premierships Is bringing the Statewide League down twice.

Last edited:
One more season of SWL I would say only a 51 percent chance of happening, 2018 That will be it at best.....can not have a State League with 5 Southern Clubs and 3 Northern. I Would Guess Burnie to go next. That Splitz Enz song "History never repeats" seems real apt now.

On such a ground-breaking Day you think the Robert Auld would speak, instead we got Carl Saunder who looked and sounded like a "rabbit in the Headlights".
Watching him on the news on Win and reporting, "AFL Tasmania have been blindsided", maybe AFL Tasmania need to get out of the Ivory tower and communicate with the stake holders more. Devonport have been on shaking ground (not for the first time) since 2010 with that half a million dollar debt.

But then I suppose AFL tasmania can rightly say on the other side of the coin Devonport were at a League meeting on the 28th November and did not give the AFL Tas a Heads up and tell them about Lack of player numbers? Shows how bad that Club has been run over the last 25 years they had a debt of 3/4 of a million in 1998, and probably explains why they have only won two senior premierships since 1938. A club of that size and location on the coast Stagers belief to me.

Still what they match with post WWII Premierships Is bringing the Statewide League down twice.
Devonport have always been unsuccessful in terms of winning premierships and the 2 they have won in the last 80 odd years loaded them up with significant debt. I hope Burnie will stay in the TSL but I think there is virtually no chance at all that there will be a team from the Devonport area again. AFL Tas will have to be very conscious of the travel burden on Burnie as their nearest away game will now be in Launceston. AFL Tas are still talking about an 18 game roster and with 8 teams there will be 7 home games and 7 away games which adds up to 14 games per club so they have to find another 4 games from somewhere. Burnie will have 5 trips to Hobart just with the home and away part. They could then play either Launceston and North a third time to make up 2 more games and maybe the southern clubs may have to make a second trip to the coast each season on a rotating basis. If Burnie are forced to play 6 or 7 games in Hobart a season then be faced with no home finals who could blame them if they refused to accept that and quit the league. The other clubs will have to compromise a little to make it viable for the Dockers to stay in the TSL. From a football point of view The Dockers 2018 is looking very bright with a lots of good people coming back to the club across all levels. Recruiting is going very well and the club is in a positive financial position. I would say it is quite likely that a handful of Devonport's most talented players who want to play at the higher level may join the Dockers which will be another boost to their playing list and with what I have seen and heard I would think the Dockers will challenge for a finals spot again next year.

Burnie could become the Devonport Strikers of the TSL. A team for the whole of the NW with all the talent. If that happens, then they would be as successful, if not more, than the soccer club. It will be harder for them with all the different loyalties and structure than soccer but hopefully, they can make it work. The TSL needs a NW team.

But you are right. The other clubs and league have to help Burnie.

1 team from NW coast
2 teams from Launceston
5 teams from Hobart

Sorry I can't see this working.

Queenstown & Swansea into the comp. To make a new version SWL3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back