Jenkins v Dixon...who really cares? Some people clearly do

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You haven’t addressed why the coaches don’t value his 50 goals as high as one would expect. Perhaps not all goals are the same ;)
the 6 points is the same, but you are right, some goals are more equal than others depending on the timing, in critical moments, team-lifters, after siren match-winners. I don’t deny that. I just think you’re expecting Rolls Royce performance from a Holden ute. The Holden ute does just fine for its job, as does Jenkins...most of the time.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, as our 14th best player he gets a game every week.
Don’t you think it’s fantastic our 14th best player gets us 50 goals a season? I think it’s sensational. Just because I see reason enough to defend a 50 goal forward doesn’t mean I place him at the top of our best players. IMO, our best player is recovering from a knee reco, and Jenkins is rightly placed mid to last. Why the pre-conceived idea I think Jenkins is somewhere at the top of the list - a notion I got with your quippy posts? Is it because I dare to question the popular ‘bash jenkins’ trend? Ha ha.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Gimme a break EC, there’s life to contend with. Sheesh I just had to turn off the sprinklers and chase the garbage truck halfway down the street, and now I have places to go and people see. I’m sure you and Sanders can have enough fun without me.
I wish my garbage truck came at 9:30!

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Most of the time what you wrote is illegible, and if there were an interesting point in there it would be hard to know

Have you tried: https://www.grammarly.com/proofreading

It might help with some of your issues

Back to your natural defense.
Yes, I do use Grammarly, A poster contacted me privately and directed me to the service, which I am grateful,
And yes I do have a disorder that affects my writing,
And yes I believe I have improved because of it. Just think last year a comment like this one would have set me off,
Am I perfect, no but I will keep on attempting to post and enjoy the experience from the communication and discussion I have with others?

I will try again You have mentioned, JJ is regarded as a seagull by the Club, and use B&F votes as the basis for your arguments
I believe you are incorrect in this.
JJ has polled top 10 in 2 years out 5 years if you count his first year. he has only played 2 full seasons in 5 years. 2016 and 2014 (both top ten results)
In 2017 he was in top ten for votes 9 times out of 20 games not counting rd2. He missed 5 games of football
Did JJ had a bad year - yes
Is he regard as a seagull by the coaches - No
Is your use of the B&F votes a flawed argument - yes

Last edited:

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
His goals are cheap and meaningless

We saw again at the B&F how little his goals count for in the eyes of the coaching panel

14th last year
13th this year

Joe Daniher won his best n fairest this year with 63 goals

Ben Brown was 3rd and nearly won his B&F with 62

Charlie Dixon was 2nd and nearly won his with 49

Jeremy Cameron was 2nd (votes per game) and he kicked 45

Heck Tex finished 4th this year on votes per game from 54 - so don’t tell me our coaches don’t rate goals, they just don’t rate JJ’s

Last year JJ finished 14th with his 62

That’s how little his junk time cheapies are worth, and if you can’t see it then that’s on you. Just you.

The coaches see it

Believe you need to recheck your data.

MALCOLM BLIGHT MEDAL 2016.
1 Rory Sloane 268
2 Eddie Betts 249
3 Tom Lynch 215
4 Daniel Talia 192
5 Taylor Walker 185
6 Brodie Smith 183
7 Matt Crouch 180
8 Kyle Hartigan 173
9 Charlie Cameron 168
10 Josh Jenkins 167

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/a69172d0a8848df3cff8ee0e75a883d6

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-09/top-10-best-and-fairest-from-every-club

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why does he poll so badly with coaches?
I keep reminding you this is just a misleading question. Not ranking in top 10 does not mean Jenkins polled "badly" with coaches. It just means there were 10 or more players who played better during the whole year. If you have injuries where you miss 4-5 games during the season, it's almost impossible to get on the top 10 list.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Believe you need to recheck your data.

MALCOLM BLIGHT MEDAL 2016.
1 Rory Sloane 268
2 Eddie Betts 249
3 Tom Lynch 215
4 Daniel Talia 192
5 Taylor Walker 185
6 Brodie Smith 183
7 Matt Crouch 180
8 Kyle Hartigan 173
9 Charlie Cameron 168
10 Josh Jenkins 167

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/a69172d0a8848df3cff8ee0e75a883d6

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-09/top-10-best-and-fairest-from-every-club
I think you’ll find he’s using average votes per game which defeats the point you are making about missing games.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
the 6 points is the same, but you are right, some goals are more equal than others depending on the timing, in critical moments, team-lifters, after siren match-winners. I don’t deny that. I just think you’re expecting Rolls Royce performance from a Holden ute. The Holden ute does just fine for its job, as does Jenkins...most of the time.
You know where this discussion stemmed from? Some of us Crows supporters and you would think most neutrals, believe our side would be improved with Dixon who actually plays like a KPF.

But then we heard Jenkins plays a different role and he’s kicked over 50 goals. But the coaches by their voting aren’t that happy with the way he’s playing his role despite kicking over 50 goals, well why is that? It’s because they actually might want him to play as a KPF given his size.

Now you’ve just said we should accept less and lower our expectations. What tha? How about you just admit that Dixon would make our side better? Would it hurt you that much to give credit to a Port player?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You know where this discussion stemmed from? Some of us Crows supporters and you would think most neutrals, believe our side would be improved with Dixon who actually plays like a KPF.

But then we heard Jenkins plays a different role and he’s kicked over 50 goals. But the coaches by their voting aren’t that happy with the way he’s playing his role despite kicking over 50 goals, well why is that? It’s because they actually might want him to play as a KPF given his size.

Now you’ve just said we should accept less and lower our expectations. What tha? How admit you just admit that Dixon would make our side better? Would it hurt you that much to give credit to a Port player?
It depends totally on which Dixon. The fat-arsed clumsy thug with no ankles who constantly gives away damaging 50s and can’t read a time clock and who was the prime go to forward in a team that has more inside 50s than any other team but could only manage 30 goals for a season? That Charles Dixon? No thanks.

Or maybe the one who kicked 49 goals after a reasonably good season this year? Perhaps this one if he fitted the structure. You’d have to change the forward structure to fit him in. Possible, but not so ideal. How many extra goals than Jenkins do you think he’d bring to the team? Because without extra scoring it’d be pointless. I’m not sure he’d increase the scoring, and scoring is kinda the point of any forward is it not?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It depends totally on which Dixon. The fat-arsed clumsy thug with no ankles who constantly gives away damaging 50s and can’t read a time clock and who was the prime go to forward in a team that has more inside 50s than any other team but could only manage 30 goals for a season? That Charles Dixon? No thanks.

Or maybe the one who kicked 49 goals after a reasonably good season this year? Perhaps this one if he fitted the structure. You’d have to change the forward structure to fit him in. Possible, but not so ideal. How many extra goals than Jenkins do you think he’d bring to the team? Because without extra scoring it’d be pointless. I’m not sure he’d increase the scoring, and scoring is kinda the point of any forward is it not?
He’d increase the scoring when your backs are against the wall and you can’t rely on cheap goals.

He would provide a reliable go to option that if he doesn’t mark it, he would create a contest and bring the ball to ground for our smalls. He would also apply more defensive pressure when the ball hits the ground.

He would do the hard yards and allow the others to get the cheap goals, just as a KPF should.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He’d increase the scoring when your backs are against the wall and you can’t rely on cheap goals.

He would provide a reliable go to option that if he doesn’t mark it, he would create a contest and bring the ball to ground for our smalls. He would also apply more defensive pressure when the ball hits the ground.

He would do the hard yards and allow the others to get the cheap goals, just as a KPF should.
I doubt he’d make us a higher scoring team. And he costs a lot more than Jenkins for what? How many more goals would you guess we’d score with the flankers doing the Jenkins thing? Not worth trading in JJ for Dixon all things considered imo.

Compare Dix and JJ’s averages over the last few seasons. Be interesting to compare especially when one costs more than the other. Maybe you get what you pay for, maybe you don’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenkins4

All Australian
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ve asked the question a few times what neutral supporters would think, Dixon or Jenkins.

Well I’ve started a poll on the polls board, not surprisingly unless you are a diehard Crows supporter who can’t see the value in opposition players, or you make up imaginary roles, Dixon is ahead 18 to 1.

No one is disputing the fact about Josh Jenkins being better than Charlie Dixon. That is an undisputed fact.

That's evident, what isn't evident or the thing you want to acknowledge is the differences in roles they play making this comparison pointless.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
You ought to look at who the only losers are that agree with you ;)

I’m saying I don’t believe you watched Dixon or any of the other players you think had fantastic seasons. I’m thinking you’re pulling it from you ass

You say Ben Brown (am huge fan), Josh Kennedy & Buddy has fantastic seasons and Dixon didn’t; do you know what that really says?

That you haven’t really followed any of the 4 players.

I’m sorry, but it’s not 1986 where you could try to pretend to be knowledgeable by just looking at goals kicked. Because that’s the only way to think Brown, Kennedy & Buddy had great seasons and Dixon didn’t.

And the only thing more stupid than that? Thinking JJ is in the conversation with any of them ;)
Who said JJ was in the conversation with any of them? I've said repeatedly its a meaningless comparison to compare JJ, a mobile 2nd tall and back up ruck, with Dixon, a spearhead power forward.

And if you think Dixon had a year comparable to Buddy or Kennedy it shows you are the one who wasn't watching or you are deliberately being hyperbolic for attention.

Look, Josh Jenkins clearly plays a large role in your life and I feel for you.

But over-egging the performances of Charlie Dixon or Ty Vickery just makes you look a bit silly.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt he’d make us a higher scoring team. And he costs a lot more than Jenkins for what? How many more goals would you guess we’d score with the flankers doing the Jenkins thing? Not worth trading in JJ for Dixon all things considered imo.

Compare Dix and JJ’s averages over the last few seasons. Be interesting to compare especially when one costs more than the other. Maybe you get what you pay for, maybe you don’t.
I keep reading this about costing more, where has this been confirmed?

And it’s not a matter of getting more goals over the course of a season, it’s getting them when they are needed. I thought I just posted about that?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No one is disputing the fact about Josh Jenkins being better than Charlie Dixon. That is an undisputed fact.

That's evident, what isn't evident or the thing you want to acknowledge is the differences in roles they play making this comparison pointless.
Josh, you have a vested interest in this thread, perhaps you should excuse yourself from it.

And I’ve covered the “role” excuse many times.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I’ve asked the question a few times what neutral supporters would think, Dixon or Jenkins.

Well I’ve started a poll on the polls board, not surprisingly unless you are a diehard Crows supporter who can’t see the value in opposition players, or you make up imaginary roles, Dixon is ahead 18 to 1.

Ummm.. that may be so, and is an easily predicted outcome... But that’s not how this entire conversation thread began.

When I used the Dixon example over on the Fogarty thread.. I never ever insinuated that anyone would pick Jenkins in their team over Dixon if you had to pick from the two... I was just pointing out that Jenkins as our THIRD best forward has given Adelaide a better return in goals kicked in the past two seasons than many of the comps other teams NUMBER ONE forward...

I picked Dixon as the example in that Jenkins has kicked more goals in the last two years than Dixon.

Ultimately I was responding to some posters that call Jenkins $h*t...

Call him $h*t as much as you like, wish he was a bit harder at the contest or want to see him crash a few more packs.... but facts are facts.. as a THIRD best forward in their team, the crows get a better return goal for goal from Jenkins than some other clubs number 1 forward player and he is one of the cogs in the best forward line the competition has.

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Take a step back and meditate. Out coach h encourages it . Has a program for the players.

Think about the energy you just wasted attacking someone who is not simple minded like you. Not only is it against forum rules but it builds kharma for your children

Tells me it’s a waste of energy to attack him and then goes on to attack me. Makes sense. Go away troll. If everyone puts you on ignore because you’re an obvious troll, are you really here? To ignore you go.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

Now you’ve just said we should accept less and lower our expectations. What tha? How about you just admit that Dixon would make our side better? Would it hurt you that much to give credit to a Port player?

No, this discussion stemmed from me posting the following last Saturday over on the Welcome Fogarty threat in response to someone saying Jenkins was $h*T;

‘I still can’t understand how a bloke that is the crows third forward and has kicked 107 goals in the past two seasons is classed by some as s**t...

Sure... most would like him to crash a couple more packs every so often and he had a terrible game in the grand final but FFS nearly every other team in the comp would have him in their starting 22 everyday of the week.. he’s kicks more goals than most teams 1st forward.... and he’s a handy second ruck on top of it.

Ports number 1 forward, CD, hasn’t kicked 107 goals in the last two seasons and only kicked a couple more goals than JJ this season.. he crashes packs all the time... maybe port might win more games and might’ve beaten a top 8 side this year if CD had’ve concentrated on taking more marks in the forward line and kicking more goals instead of crashing packs?...

It also ignores the fact JJ suffered fractured ribs early in the season and probably nursed them for half the year.. losing some confidence in his physicality abilities for the season.”

Some people after I wrote that put 2 and 2 together and got 5 and thought that I was implying that some people would rather have Jenkins instead of Dixon taking Jenkins position in the crows side.. that wasn’t the intent or what I was implying at all... Thetrader15 bought the entire discussion over here giving it its own thread because it was clogging up the Fogarty thread.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No, this discussion stemmed from me posting the following last Saturday over on the Welcome Fogarty threat in response to someone saying Jenkins was $h*T;

‘I still can’t understand how a bloke that is the crows third forward and has kicked 107 goals in the past two seasons is classed by some as s**t...

Sure... most would like him to crash a couple more packs every so often and he had a terrible game in the grand final but FFS nearly every other team in the comp would have him in their starting 22 everyday of the week.. he’s kicks more goals than most teams 1st forward.... and he’s a handy second ruck on top of it.

Ports number 1 forward, CD, hasn’t kicked 107 goals in the last two seasons and only kicked a couple more goals than JJ this season.. he crashes packs all the time... maybe port might win more games and might’ve beaten a top 8 side this year if CD had’ve concentrated on taking more marks in the forward line and kicking more goals instead of crashing packs?...

It also ignores the fact JJ suffered fractured ribs early in the season and probably nursed them for half the year.. losing some confidence in his physicality abilities for the season.”

Some people after I wrote that put 2 and 2 together and got 5 and thought that I was implying that some people would rather have Jenkins instead of Dixon taking Jenkins position in the crows side.. that wasn’t the intent or what I was implying at all... Thetrader15 bought the entire discussion over here giving it its own thread because it was clogging up the Fogarty thread.
I didn’t read your post so it’s not how this started for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back