Movie Star Wars: The Last Jedi. - THREAD PART 1 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS* - Cont. in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting you bring that scene up, the tie fighter was far further out from the death star than the rebels were from the order fleet.

The argument against the ties is that if the rebels jumped the fleet would jump quickly after them leaving the ties behind.

I would have written the plot with an extra jump in it for that reason, showing that happening and building to the low fuel issue but that's just me, I don't like spoken exposition and would prefer the tension of not knowing how the imperials are on their arse so fast.
It definitely would have made it clearer as to why they didn't launch fighters if they jumped again and left fighters behind.

I guess they didn't think it was much of an issue.

Honestly, if you look at Episode 7 and 8 being a two parter, things will work out better for you, because that’s what it is.

All that was missing at the end of TFA was the cheesy “To be continued” that shows had when the story was bigger than the allocated time would allow.
You don't think Rey holding the lightsaber up to Luke was enough of a "to be continued" without explicitly writing it on the screen?

I've worked out why I hate Rey.

She's a female Kyp Durron. In fact, it's like Abrams and Johnson went to the EU and said 'Who has written the most books about Star Wars?', found Kevin Anderson's slop, and said 'Well this must be what the fans want a Jedi to be like'.

Funnily enough, Kylo is clearly a fusion of Jacen and Kyp.

It's really quite bemusing that Disney has taken such a dim view of the EU, and yet managed to extract and retain (barring Thrawn) the worst parts.

Actually, Jacen going to the Dark Side was fantastic, I take that back. I might go back and read the LotF series now.

TIE fighters are disposable. If they wanted to they could've maintained the pursuit.
Also those advanced Tie's have shields and hyper drives etc and could well and truly kept the fight up. That flotilla would've had more than just kylos Tie.

Yeah book readers would comprise .001% of the audience Disney want to reach.

And yet mining the books for good ideas for plot might have ended up with the movies going in a better direction. From the sounds of things Hamill falls in that 'book reader' category without actually having read them.

I would have LOVED this movie if a) We got a Luke vs. Snoke fight in it; or b) We got a Luke vs. Snoke fight in IX. I'd imagine the vast majority of the other Star Wars nuts wanted to see that happen, too. Now we won't, and that's what sucks about it. Loved the acting from Ren and the force interactions between him and Rey, and loved every scene with Luke and Snoke in it, except the ones where they die, but Luke's was more acceptable after Snoke got halved.

Snoke was a convenient means to an end, that being how one of the children of the main characters could turn to the dark side while under Skywalker's wing.

Now that is explained he needs to be shunted aside before someone starts asking questions like: "where was he during the first rebellion?"

Luke's first act in the movie was a metaphor for what Disney were going to do with all their established characters from the original trilogy. Tossing it over the shoulder like the spilled salt.

I would have LOVED this movie if a) We got a Luke vs. Snoke fight in it; or b) We got a Luke vs. Snoke fight in IX. I'd imagine the vast majority of the other Star Wars nuts wanted to see that happen, too. Now we won't, and that's what sucks about it. Loved the acting from Ren and the force interactions between him and Rey, and loved every scene with Luke and Snoke in it, except the ones where they die, but Luke's was more acceptable after Snoke got halved.
To be fair we got that awesome display of Luke’s power in the end which works better for me than watching him fight snoke

Snoke was a convenient means to an end, that being how one of the children of the main characters could turn to the dark side while under Skywalker's wing.

Now that is explained he needs to be shunted aside before someone starts asking questions like: "where was he during the first rebellion?"

Luke's first act in the movie was a metaphor for what Disney were going to do with all their established characters from the original trilogy. Tossing it over the shoulder like the spilled salt.

If he is shunted aside then that's crap. In the OT you didn't have to explain the Emperor because there was nothing before it except what was in Lucas' head, but Snoke to just come out of nowhere in this deeply established lore and take over is weird. Not hard to explain it either. Former advisor of the Emperor consumed by the Emperors powers as a means of being an answer to Luke, meaning that the prophecy of balance was misunderstood. Or, Darth Plagueis or some guy from the unknown regions. There, you're done.

Yeah I remember them saying they were passing on the torch. I never agreed with it then and I don't now. Old people generally are harder, more cunning, and endearingly grumpier and more sarcastic, so there is no reason why they couldn't have been more significant in this trilogy, especially when you consider that there is no guarantee Rey is returning for a new trilogy. Also, that trilogy mightn't be for another 10-20 years, there are still a fair chunk of old people around who watched the OT and were probably just as excited to see them back in action than those of us who saw it when we were kids. Instead of passing on the torch, these new characters could've developed under the OT heroes as supporting characters and then become established main characters in the next trilogy.

To be fair we got that awesome display of Luke’s power in the end which works better for me than watching him fight snoke

It did work well, it's just too bad in my opinion that Snoke didn't survive and that Luke's awesome display of power killed him. Also, if Luke knew that Snoke was corrupting Ben then wouldn't it have been more in character for Luke to have gone after Snoke for messing with his nephew? A flashback of those two duking it out would be cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't even explained though. We get "Ben saw me holding a light Saber and he got defensive" but not how Snoke got into his head.

Yeah I remember them saying they were passing on the torch. I never agreed with it then and I don't now. Old people generally are harder, more cunning, and endearingly grumpier and more sarcastic, so there is no reason why they couldn't have been more significant in this trilogy, especially when you consider that there is no guarantee Rey is returning for a new trilogy. Also, that trilogy mightn't be for another 10-20 years, there are still a fair chunk of old people around who watched the OT and were probably just as excited to see them back in action than those of us who saw it when we were kids. Instead of passing on the torch, these new characters could've developed under the OT heroes as supporting characters and then become established main characters in the next trilogy.
I would have written the Kylo Ren back to Ben Solo arch with Luke's final sacrifice, to save him from Snoke but it kills both Snoke and Skywalker in the next movie.

I do feel short changed on story regarding Snoke.

Fear leads to anger, to hate, to the dark side.

I think that was what they were going for.
Very lazy then.

"He saw me standing there and fell to the Dark Side. I mean, I could explain it was a misunderstanding, but instead I think he's irredeemable and I'm going to shut myself off from the Force."

No wonder Hamill hated it.

Very lazy then.

"He saw me standing there and fell to the Dark Side. I mean, I could explain it was a misunderstanding, but instead I think he's irredeemable and I'm going to shut myself off from the Force."

No wonder Hamill hated it.

The entire plot was single issue rolling into simple single issue. Do you really think a guard who had just tazed someone for abandoning their post would suddenly decide to hatch a plot with them to save the day?

Luke Skywalker ran off like a bitch after his nephew got scared by him, refused to be a Jedi anymore. It was highschool drama. Because it's aimed at children.

The entire plot was single issue rolling into simple single issue. Do you really think a guard who had just tazed someone for abandoning their post would suddenly decide to hatch a plot with them to save the day?

Luke Skywalker ran off like a bitch after his nephew got scared by him, refused to be a Jedi anymore. It was highschool drama. Because it's aimed at children.
Even the prequels didn't have that though. Anakins fall was actually quite complex and structured over three films. The actual fall was a bit silly and sudden but not like this.

The two ethnically diverse characters in the whole rebellion happen to hook up, what are the chances??

The resistance commanded by women, the new order commanded by men (sans Chrome Trooper mechandice) not quite subtle enough??
The whole Poe being surprised at a female admiral is a joke aswell. General Leia says hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back