Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was only one Nero's Fiddle Theatre Restaurant. It was in Mitcham and operated between 1979 and 1990.

The owners closed it and turned it into a different style restaurant which ultimately closed a year later.

In 1991 my brother and I remodelled the restaurant, also adding a takeaway pizza section and named it back to Nero's (without the show). The amazing thing was that we were still getting calls for bookings for the theatre restaurant when we finished up there in 2007, 17 years after the shows had ended.

Stylus was at The Swagman in Ferntree Gully which indeed burnt down.

The Swagman lol. I reckon the family alternated between there and The Eltham Barrel every Xmas for about 10 years!

The Swagman lol. I reckon the family alternated between there and The Eltham Barrel every Xmas for about 10 years!

I went there once for a 21st birthday but what sticks most in my mind is the awful ads for the place on late night TV.

I think SOS said OI numpties I'm coming back to fix this s**t tip that is my beloved carlton.

Make way fools.

As a father would you want your kids to play at Carlton how we were
He knew we are a laughing stock and he would have 3 sons potentially playing for the club and wants them to feel the success he and serge have
Is why I think he came

'Whether we like it or not, players such as Kerridge, Thomas, Lamb etc will be getting games to balance out the experience/youth formula.

I see two things

1) players like Kerridge, Thomas and Lamb will get games - in the near term - to balance out the kids

2) the kids are talented enough that with more time and experience, players like Kerridge, Thomas and Lamb will no longer get games.

I see two things

1) players like Kerridge, Thomas and Lamb will get games - in the near term - to balance out the kids

2) the kids are talented enough that with more time and experience, players like Kerridge, Thomas and Lamb will no longer get games.

That's the natural path, but it may take time.
May be a little unfair to have high expectations on zero gamers in Dow, O'Brien, Kerr, Schumacher along with one and two gamers in Polson and McKay to become first 22 players by mid-year.

I'm not even playing this from my viewpoint but from what Bolton said through the course of the year; Experience is valued.

They let Gibbs go for a reason this year.....2017 was a tough year and Gibbs got a lot of the ball,not always highly effective but he did and now he is gone.
2018 will be a deeper stronger team PLUS we have collected some very nice trades THIS TIME
Garlett
Mullett
Lang
Kennedy
I see us stronger this year with an easier draw..................i see 16-12 th on the ladder in 2018 8-10 wins
We will become undesirable to play against with a strong defense and now a deeper faster team
A Lot will depend how effective this Preseason can be...

If SOS is only going to have say just 4 picks in the draft, I reckon he will try to upgrade the picks.
Someone will be moved on to advance our draft position: SOS did Bell, Henderson, Yarran and Menzel in Year 1, Tuohy in Year 2 and Gibbs in Year 3.

I think he will chase some big names who are ready to go like a Kelly and that will effect our draft picks. Add that to a gun FA it really takes us to the next level

I think he will chase some big names who are ready to go like a Kelly and that will effect our draft picks. Add that to a gun FA it really takes us to the next level
The next two sets of draft picks are really interesting.

Do we say give up a 2019 Pick for a second first round pick in 2018?

Depending on where the Father Sons are tracking, do we trade a 2018 second rounder for a better pick in 2019?

Do we target FAs (Jetta in 2018, less likely Lynch or Gaff now for us I think, and Shiel in 2019) and keep the draft hands we have?

Have we already got a Simmo Replacement in Byrne, Schumacher, Lamb ... Williamson?

Have we already got a Murphy Replacement in Polson or Dow?

Is there a forward ruck who will push Casboult out? McKay? TDK and McKay?

SOS has done at least 1 trade a year to improve the list or advance the draft position (and to help Gibbs get home, last year ... it was Tuohy as part of getting Marchbank and Pickett, the year before Yarran, Menzel, Bell and Henderson). I think he will continue the annual trade, and it may be a bit like Brent Moloney (who was ‘squeezed out’ of Geelong for a Pick 12, which Geelong packaged up with another Pick to get Brad Ottens).

Come the end of 2019 we might have a surplus of talls (even with Rowe gone and most likely Casboult too) and SOS could use this to advantage in trading if one is stiff not to be in the 22 (I think this was a factor in us choosing TDK).

From 2019, each year I see maybe a retirement or two AND draft picks for most of the other players who leave us, rather than zilch. This is IMO a game changer.

Just this last trade period ... we got zilch for all of Boekhorst, Buckley, Jaksch, Smedts, Sumner, as well as White, Palmer, Gorringe and Armfield (the last 3 retiring).

Depending on where the Father Sons are tracking, do we trade a 2018 second rounder for a better pick in 2019?

Do we target FAs (Jetta in 2018, less likely Lynch or Gaff now for us I think, and Shiel in 2019) and keep the draft hands we have?

Have we already got a Simmo Replacement in Byrne, Schumacher, Lamb ... Williamson?

SOS has done at least 1 trade a year to improve the list or advance the draft position (and to help Gibbs get home, last year ... it was Tuohy as part of getting Marchbank and Pickett, the year before Yarran, Menzel, Bell and Henderson). I think he will continue the annual trade, and it may be a bit like Brent Moloney (who was ‘squeezed out’ of Geelong for a Pick 12, which Geelong packaged up with another Pick to get Brad Ottens).

Come the end of 2019 we might have a surplus of talls (even with Rowe gone and most likely Casboult too) and SOS could use this to advantage in trading if one is stiff not to be in the 22 (I think this was a factor in us choosing TDK).

From 2019, each year I see maybe a retirement or two AND draft picks for most of the other players who leave us, rather than zilch. This is IMO a game changer.

Just this last trade period ... we got zilch for all of Boekhorst, Buckley, Jaksch, Smedts, Sumner, as well as White, Palmer, Gorringe and Armfield (the last 3 retiring).

Great post. IMHO it's so hard to judge what will happen from now as it will depend upon trades, where we finish etc

I think from now for the next couple of years you will see 5-6 changes a year. How and who will very much depend upon who we can get through trades and FA. Our list now is really talented and will keep improving naturally. I really believe with the list we have we need to target genuine "elite" talent especially through the midfield. Proper depth is now the key. On top of that SOS will still need to keep picking gold later in the draft and with rookies.

How or who I really don't know but the quicker the kids develop and step up the more attractive we will look for any player

We are in a fantastic position to be top 4 side for a decade or more. Just need to maintain the process

Zilch is what those players were worth. As far as replacing Murphy we have a clone in Polson ,if everything goes to plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS may be better changing a 2nd round pick for 3 x 4th rounders. I'd be happy with a few more Williamsons & Polsons as opposed to one Fisher or Cuningham :)
Our drafting has improved dramatically hasn’t it !

If we have less list changes each year, I still think we go for elite players at the top of the draft.

Out go say Thomas and Rowe (let’s see how Kerridge and Graham go this year) in come two highly rated midfielders before another club bids on one of our father sons ..

The competition for spots in the 22 will be even more intense in 2019 ...

No longer will we carry 15 players that we just cannot wait to get rid of.

Our drafting has improved dramatically hasn’t it !

If we have less list changes each year, I still think we go for elite players at the top of the draft.

Out go say Thomas and Rowe (let’s see how Kerridge and Graham go this year) in come two highly rated midfielders before another club bids on one of our father sons ..

The competition for spots in the 22 will be even more intense in 2019 ...

No longer will we carry 15 players that we just cannot wait to get rid of.

Agree.

Imagine at the end of 2018 replacing 7 of Thomas Rowe Lamb Graham G-Mac Kerridge Shaw O'Shea Phillips Lobbe Casboult & Simpson with

Pick 5, Pick 23 & 25, BSOS, Manton, Hickmont and Sloane :)

Agree.

Imagine at the end of 2018 replacing 7 of Thomas Rowe Lamb Graham G-Mac Kerridge Shaw O'Shea Phillips Lobbe Casboult & Simpson with

Pick 5, Pick 23 & 25, BSOS, Manton, Hickmont and Sloane :)
We are a long way out ... but I am willing to play. :cool:

How do we get Picks 23 and 25? Both Adelaide and Bulldogs have bad years, someone is traded / squeezed out in a trade, or SOS otherwise upgrades the second round Picks?

I’d swap Jetta for Sloane and keep our powder dry as it were for Shiel.

GMac and Shaw (and Alex) are rookies so perhaps one of the Father Sons slips to us as a rookie (and we rookie the older Hickmont perhaps).

Of the others, I think Rowe and Thomas are likely to retire and probably Simmo too. Casboult will have another year on his contract. Lobbe, I am not sure how many years left on his contract but I think he might stay another year as insurance for Kreuzer. Lamb would be rather stiff to be delisted if he plays as well as he did in 2017. Kerridge and Graham would need to take their chances in the Senior 22 in 2018 when they come.

Anything can happen between now and next year but chances are we get a player at our first pick in the 2018 Draft who is even more highly rated than Rayner or Dow.

Does SOS keep Picks 23 and 25, or trade these for say Picks 15 and 38?

We are a long way out ... but I am willing to play. :cool:

How do we get Picks 23 and 25? Both Adelaide and Bulldogs have bad years, someone is traded / squeezed out in a trade, or SOS otherwise upgrades the second round Picks?

I’d swap Jetta for Sloane and keep our powder dry as it were for Shiel.

GMac and Shaw (and Alex) are rookies so perhaps one of the Father Sons slips to us as a rookie (and we rookie the older Hickmont perhaps).

Of the others, I think Rowe and Thomas are likely to retire and probably Simmo too. Casboult will have another year on his contract. Lobbe, I am not sure how many years left on his contract but I think he might stay another year as insurance for Kreuzer. Lamb would be rather stiff to be delisted if he plays as well as he did in 2017. Kerridge and Graham would need to take their chances in the Senior 22 in 2018 when they come.

Anything can happen between now and next year but chances are we get a player at our first pick in the 2018 Draft who is even more highly rated than Rayner or Dow.

Does SOS keep Picks 23 and 25, or trade these for say Picks 15 and 38?

Just guides. I am not really looking that hard into it. All I know is the list from where it is (and it's exciting) will get better and better. Like this year I will just sit back and watch and enjoy.

I'm excited :)

I’m excited too Soapy V ! :D

:D

How could you not be

Best young list in Carlton's history
Great young coach with proper support
Major cultural change
Great recruiting and List Management departments
Board and admin with a long term plan and everyone on the same page

I have no doubt that in 2-3 years the membership and sponsorship will have us back where we belong as a genuine power club.

Go Blues :thumbsu:

:D

How could you not be

Best young list in Carlton's history
Great young coach with proper support
Major cultural change
Great recruiting and List Management departments
Board and admin with a long term plan and everyone on the same page

I have no doubt that in 2-3 years the membership and sponsorship will have us back where we belong as a genuine power club.

Go Blues :thumbsu:
Sounds like 1965 to 1968.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back