Society & Culture Misconceptions You Had When You Were Younger

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I used to think that before colour television, the entire world was black and white and one day, colour appeared in the world, including on televisions.

I thought in movies when there are scenes when an adult character is a child, that they had to film the scene when the actor was young and then come back in 30-odd years time and finish the rest of the film.

I was a slow speaker when I was young and so when adults had conversations with each other, they spoke really fast and often I could not understand them so I thought that when you got older, you develop an entire new vocabulary to speak with. This created an awkward scenario when I was about four and walked up to my mum and started making random words up and talking gibberish, only to be returned with a "Huh?" followed by a "nothing" reply from me and an uncomfortable exit from the room.

My family aren't religious but my grandparents are catholic. I didn't know anything about religion as a child so I thought that Church was something old people went to.

I used to also think that all the boring places you had to go to with parents (e.g shops, bank) were made for the purpose of torturing children.

I used to think that before colour television, the entire world was black and white and one day, colour appeared in the world, including on televisions.

Have we met? ;)

I once convinced a young check out chick that in the olden days, the world used to be black and white

That the tooth fairy was real and snuck into your house at night to give you money for your teeth.

That santa was real and snuck into your house once a year at night and gave you toys if you were good.

That god was real and could see everything you do and he doesn't like you touching yourself, particularly your penis.

In junior primary the teacher was explaining that it was windier because trees had been cut down to make way for a subdivision.

I looked at her strangely and said "but trees cause the wind", "the trees move and that causes wind"

She went on about some rubbish about high and low pressure cells. What would she know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That in the game of cricket, teams assembled their batting order from worst down to best. My mother told me this for some sick reason. So I believed Hayden and Gilchrist to be spud batsman.

I thought the entire Earth had one timezone.

That athletes were born the way they are. They were just born as footballers or sprinters.

I thought in movies when there are scenes when an adult character is a child, that they had to film the scene when the actor was young and then come back in 30-odd years time and finish the rest of the film.

I was a slow speaker when I was young and so when adults had conversations with each other, they spoke really fast and often I could not understand them so I thought that when you got older, you develop an entire new vocabulary to speak with. This created an awkward scenario when I was about four and walked up to my mum and started making random words up and talking gibberish, only to be returned with a "Huh?" followed by a "nothing" reply from me and an uncomfortable exit from the room.
Bold - I thought I was the only one. I came here to write that as well.
Technically speaking, you still see the world in black and white. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back