What are your expectations for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically 6-8 wins is the bracket we'll be in at the end of the season probably bottom 4 pending on percentage. We're in the company of Suns, North and possibly the Saints may stumble too as the adjust to loss of experience.
Can't see us above anyone else, but it will be the last of our stummbling.
Pick up another young Superstar, perhaps a FA and FS selections, we'll on our way up 2020.

I feel we should genuinely push for the bottom reaches of the 8, maybe just miss 7-13 type finish. We have a number of younger players together ready for breakout seasons as opposed to development seasons. Fully expect Charlie to push to a top 20 player.
So many players ready to take a step up, either as solid AFL quality or elite we will outperform general expectations by quite some margin.
These young sides, well coached, with solid development can create belief very quickly and we know the talent is there.
Consistency could be a potential issue but momentum is massive with a group such as this, get some early wins and I can guarantee even perennial finalists will be looking over their shoulder at the mix of skills this group can bring.
I may be guilty of overrating our list but I think when looking forward can also be guilty of overrating opposition lists. We are not yet ready, but we are strong, next year is moving year, following is anything.

I am hopeful but have no expectations beyond all the key indicators mentioned across the board. Love the mention of percentage growth. More scoring please.

Question without notice: What if Bolts is the right guy to nurture these talented kids through a rebuild but not the right guy to lead us to the imposing position we all desire? I think he has to have at least two years, after that, I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
8-10 wins.

No losses greater than 6 goals.

Games into the kids. Kids improve.

More run and attacking footy, moving the ball quickly. Sustain it throughout matches. Our midfield holds its own.

Crippa has an injury-free season and pre-season.

McKay plays 15 games, otherwise stays fit.

Pickett can sustain his efforts throughout matches and not just in bursts.

Cuningham steps up to a 25 possession average.

Kids step up and push out Thomas, Casboult and Wright.

True competition for spots where our best players in the VFL are stiff not to get games in the Senior 22, eventually rewarded with Senior games.

Kennedy, Lang and Garlett make a difference and each adds to the Senior 22.

Polson, Kerr, Dow, O’Brien and Macreadie play 8-10 games in the Senior 22 each.

Our forward line is a threat to the opposition. Fisher, Pickett and Garlett (and Wright) wreak havoc around Charlie, Jack and Harry (and Casboult). Jack to sustain his efforts throughout matches and not just in bursts.

We beat Richmond round 1 ...

A good summary and on the money for me. Add to that a good run on injuries where we don't lose key players and the selectors have a hard time picking the best 22. What I would like to see is "Kennedy, Lang and Garlett make a difference and each adds to the Senior 22." Dow and O'Brein to make an immediate impact as well.
Minimum 10 wins and finishing 12 on the ladder would be a realistic pass mark for me.

We beat Adelaide......twice.

10 wins would be fantastic and would signal the club is an attractive exciting club on the move . Less than 7 disappointing not necessarily for developmental purposes onfield but membership marketing attracting quality FA etc . Would like to see us consolidate somewhat by not blooding too many youngsters/first year players . Imo its been too easy to gain a senior spot in the past 2 years time to make them really earn it . Id like to see players coming into the side not just having earnt it but also having the necessary fitness level to run out a game . Biggest improvements this year will come from our forwardline and midfield if we are to play a settled side . Ground level support and pressure with the likes of Garlett and Pickett playing predominently forward at the feet of Casboult Mckay + C Curnow will help our scoring increase . A settled and performing seconds side will also create a strong competition for spots in the senior side .
Time for the Carlton football club to release the shackles somewhat take the game on and excite its supporters giving a taste of what is to come in coming years .
I believe that the harder it is to break into the senior side, the better the players become because they are doing everything possible to break into the team.
This will get the players putting in the extra effort on field to stay there week after week.

I’m a little more reserved in my expectations than some.

I want to see growth, improvement across the park particularly in scoring ability and hopefully a reduction in the number of blowouts. 3 down to 0 ideally.

It’ll go in hopeful, like always, but I certainly won’t be banking on having 3 wins against the premiers and minor premiers, not will I use those results as the measuring stick of our season.

I’m also hesitant to expect instant impact from Dow and O’Brien due to their age, their current physical development, and (perhaps most importantly?) our improvement in actual ‘best 22’ depth. Although Samo’s efforts this year being a slight build and having minimal preseason certainly won’t allow me to rule them out for having a presence in round 1.

Kennedy I’ll give some time to get rolling after his surgery and interrupted PS. Like Dow and O’Brien I do have high expectations for him but it’s probably more about where they’ll be come 2019 rather than what they can do on the 22nd of March.

We finished 16th with 6 wins this year. If we can improve both of those numbers, even if it’s only by one or two each, but show all the right signs on (and off) the field then I’ll be a happy man. I just want us to be in the right spot in 2019 to start our ascent up the ladder and ensure we’re in the best possible position to do that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we are lucky and able to field our best 22 each week (although i dont think we have been able to do this for the last 10 years or so) I could see us winning 8-10 games.

I think we will be a little more competitive and push the top 4 sides , really important we dont start the season 0-4 which we seem to have done the last couple of seasons.

The key will be having a forward line that can kick 100 points a game. A forward line with Caz/Charlie/Harry has potential but we need to have a midfield that can deliver the ball effectively.

In summary , i am hoping we will be a little better next year.

Pretty specific one, but I expect the Fish to make big strides this year, avg possies in high teens to low 20's. Really think this guy may be our little mosquito who consistently racks up 30 a game in time. Combine him with the big bodies in the middle and in time we will have a very dangerous midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saw someone had lang ahead of him in their b22 midfield and I had to go outside to look at certain things with my head cocked to one side............

I see Lang and Fish both being best 22.

Lang good outside, got that pace and goal sense. Seems like a damaging outside mid who kicks goals.
Fish more of a in/out distributor, spending some time playing a fwd role too while he builds his tank. Can see him doing a lot of link work and applying pressure. Made some great tackles last year so hoping to see much more of that.

For mine they both play the season opener.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As the list matures my expectation is that this joint also matures.

Far less bed-wetting when a very young/inexperienced side has a bad week would be a pass mark for me.
Not sure if serious

Remove this Banner Ad

Back