What are your expectations for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Just rewatched our round 6 win over Sydney, it's pretty much a glimpse into the future of our club.

SPS the cleanest player I have ever seen. Smart, evasive, and elite disposal. Watched him and fisher work together on a few occasions delivering into the forward 50. They're both just clean, smart footballers. The Sydney players couldn't keep up because they were already 2 steps ahead. Going to cause some havoc with another pre season under their belt.

Tommy Williamson... elite by foot and takes the game on. Saw him on a few occasions cut through a pack of Sydney guys and burn them off with ease, then hitting a team mate lace out with a laser left foot pass. Also expecting big strides from him.

Patty Cripps, was amongst everything during the game. Did all the hard stuff, plus went forward and kicked goals. Will be huge this year after his first pre season.

Charlie Curnow- what can you say that hasn't already been said? Took some nice grabs and should have ended up with about 3 goals.

Honourable mentions to Marchbank and Plowman who were pillars down back, and Weitering was creating plenty of opportunities forward. Docherty with a lazy 40 disposals (will be missed this year).

And this game didn't even include young excitement machines Pickett and Garlett, Cunningham, McKay, JSOS, Dow, Obrien, Kennedy et al.

Plenty to look forward to this year. Really can't wait.

Looking forward to some quicker and cleaner ball movement by foot, we don't have too many on the list that are poor by foot anymore as such I feel we will be a little more direct this year.

I'd like to see less flooding tactics, I understand this will be required at times such as when the momentum is going all the other way, but overall have more options on the counter attack as opposed to having to slow movement down to give forwards time to move up the ground. This goes hand in hand with quicker ball movement.

Of course, like everyone, I am eagerly waiting to see the development of our list!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL discover integrity is more than a catch phrase just in time to catch Carlton 50 % over the celery stalk in 2019

About the same as last year. Losing Gibbs and Doc will be hard to replace. Although very excited to see how our kids go this year.
Bit more depth to that issue we know what many of our "experienced " players offer, Too this point in many of their careers it has not been good enough for a multitude of reasons.

To persevere with senior players because they are experienced is not an answer to our issues, In many cases the recent recruits have higher skill bases are equally determined and a very strong desire to succeed. Cycle them through the team giving them 4 to 6 game blocks if they are performing done right in our "Teaching" environment will see faster Growth and those Senior players can then support from the Nb's.

10 wins is a good target - I'd be stoked if the club managed that

But I'm expecting 6-8 wins (with 6 wins a bit shite)
22 wins is a good target
10 wins is just a pass
Aim high
If we aim for 10 then 8 games could come about which would be a MEGA failure

Ha ha, okay Malthouse
So all world champion, athletes and the like aimed to pass and being the best they just stumbled upon?
Nothing in life is easy
Winning isn’t easy
I hate all these posters saying 6-10 wins
Like wow
What a pathetic result that would be as Weber got a lot of 2nd th 3rd year players who will rise again ?
Anyways time will tell
But I can say one thing
Bolts would not be addressing his boys at any stage saying yep just have a go doent matter

If people can recall most of our 2017 games we were carrying players that were unfit or needed game time to learn routines and gain exposure. Think SPS, Fisher, Macreadie and Polson. They were using up a lot of bench time and our senior players had to gut run a lot more exposing us going both ways. This had 2 effects. We had to think more defensively and we tailed off in most quarters and even we had 1-2 bad quarters a game getting over run. Despite this we were extremely competitive.

Move on to 2018 I can see us only carrying 1 (max2) players in a game giving our experienced players more rest time and the load being carried by a larger group due to their 2017 exposure. This will have a huge effect on performance. Players like Fisher, SPS will be better for it and can take on a role similar to the experienced players last year. More players can share the rest time and rotate better. More attacking game style with less defensive mindedness and more endurance to get forward knowing it's a lot more shared.

I expect we will have some huge upside in 2018

If people can recall most of our 2017 games we were carrying players that were unfit or needed game time to learn routines and gain exposure. Think SPS, Fisher, Macreadie and Polson. They were using up a lot of bench time and our senior players had to gut run a lot more exposing us going both ways. This had 2 effects. We had to think more defensively and we tailed off in most quarters and even we had 1-2 bad quarters a game getting over run. Despite this we were extremely competitive.

Move on to 2018 I can see us only carrying 1 (max2) players in a game giving our experienced players more rest time and the load being carried by a larger group due to their 2017 exposure. This will have a huge effect on performance. Players like Fisher, SPS will be better for it and can take on a role similar to the experienced players last year. More players can share the rest time and rotate better. More attacking game style with less defensive mindedness and more endurance to get forward knowing it's a lot more shared.

I expect we will have some huge upside in 2018
I’m digging the positive glass half full approach
Well done :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back