5th Test - Australia v England - SCG 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Its an option if we need it ....we could also use Khawaja as an opener for South African conditions

Its just another alternative we can use
Yep I would open with Khawaja move smith up then bring back Handscomb or maybe Maxwell.

Good ball but he obviously needs to go away and work on things.

He isnt the first young opener to fail, get dropped and regain his place later.

2nd half of the shield season very important.
The opening position with Warner is really up for grabs.

No he needs to score some runs first

these shield games in the new year are going to be huge..opportunity is there for batsmen to score big and get a spot in the test team.

we can also use S marsh as an opener and pick a middle order player as well
Seen this proposed a few times, don't understand why.

Marsh averages 42.88 whilst opening, which while hardly terrible is not a patch on what he averages at 6 (89.00), and his average at 5 is still better (48.69).

Why you would move a bat around when they've just found their position is a bit beyond me. He's also still got that weakness to fending at a ball going across him when it's moving, it's just muted due to coming in a bit later, before it's reversing but well after any conventional swing has vanished.

Bancroft has had a good go and been found wanting with his technique. Time for Australia to move to a new opener, I’m not sure who. Bancroft to go away and sort out his deficiencies. Test career not necessarily over. At this level bowlers quickly hone in on, and exploit any weaknesses.

So who replaces Bancroft? Renshaw has been woeful this summer and hasn't earned a call up, the only openers in any sort of form are Burns, Weatherhead and Harris. The other option is to rejig the order, but no one in the side is really putting their hand up for the gig either.

I would think about Joe Burns.

All this depends on whether Renshaw makes runs in the 2nd half on the Shield season..

Weatherald not ready. But looks good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Smith might have to review his trai
Why on Earth would this happen?

S.Marsh only regained his spot in the test team due to the number of runs he scored as an opener for WA in the early shield games so why not.The selection of Bancroft for SA is going to be a real difficult one as not sure how many if any shield games are played before the team is selected.A very poor cricket fixture by Cricket Australia for season 207/18. PS Just noted another post,Joe Burns must be a big chance now.

So who replaces Bancroft? Renshaw has been woeful this summer and hasn't earned a call up, the only openers in any sort of form are Burns and Harris. The other option is to rejig the order, but no one in the side is really putting their hand up for the gig either.
I've a question that's linked.

Do the South African quicks bowl around to left handers, or do they stay over?

Renshaw leaves the ball well when it's bowled by a right armer over the wicket; he knows where his stumps are. Come around, or change the angle, and there's an issue, as he starts fending like crazy.

If their tactics are over the wicket, you could bring him in, as it feeds into his strengths as a player and will hopefully find something resembling form; if not, he'll face 50-100 balls before no.3 comes in, doing the secondary job of an opener if not the first. If they come around, he's a walking wicket, as he would have been had he faced the English.

Seen this proposed a few times, don't understand why.

Marsh averages 42.88 whilst opening, which while hardly terrible is not a patch on what he averages at 6 (89.00), and his average at 5 is still better (48.69).

Why you would move a bat around when they've just found their position is a bit beyond me. He's also still got that weakness to fending at a ball going across him when it's moving, it's just muted due to coming in a bit later, before it's reversing but well after any conventional swing has vanished.

Far out its an OPTION if we need it

Yes I agree i would rather marsh at 5.....BUT ITS AN OPTION we can use if we need it

Far out its an OPTION if we need it

Yes I agree i would rather marsh at 5.....BUT ITS AN OPTION we can use if we need it
Sure.

I just don't see why you would weaken an already weak middle order to strengthen the top order.

Bring in someone new, see if they have the right temperament if not the technique yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back