Ben Cousins arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe they want to keep a close rein on him, worried that he might spill the beans
on what really happened at WC in the Worsfold era.
You could be right there... we're just lucky he hasn't had a chance to spill the beans at any time since 2006 with him being busy publishing his story and all that :drunk:

If the 06 Eagles and 07 Cats were using peptides and binged on anti-asthma speed pills gameday good luck to them, statute of giving a damn has passed

I have no idea if this is a good idea, or a bad one. I have very little experience running a football club, or dealing with a reforming drug addict.

I hope it works out though. Cousins has made plenty of mistakes, but they are generally mistakes that impact on him and his family rather than the community. Anything that may help him get back on track is a good thing.

Hes admitted it himself that he does not want to get clean, chances are he wont be having much sleep this week.
Recently?

Also if he is reformed going back to where it all started does not sound like a a very good idea.
The guy's never had a 'real' job in his life. He's not likely to be a delivery driver for Dominos or shelf stacker at Coles or something. His options would be incredibly limited so I think it's good that the club is trying to put their arms around him and give him the structure of as normal a job/life as possible. Hopefully he doesn't waste it.

It kinda irks me that he can come out of prison and walk straight into a no doubt well paying job just because he is an ex high profile AFL player. One rule for them, one rule for the rest. Is it a philanthropic jesture or just a publicity stunt?

It kinda makes sense that an ex high profile AFL player works in a club's community and game development department, I would have thought.

I will stick my neck out and say that, while a job at the club might be beneficial to Ben, it is not a good idea for AFL clubs to put people with controversial histories in roles where they are guiding and influencing young people.

That is not to have a particular dig at Ben or the club but I think it is a sound general principal to apply across the league. A reformed drug addict might be a good guest speaker but that is about the extent of it. If I had an 18 yo son recruited by a club with staff like this then I would be unhappy.

Of course it all depends on the specifics of the role to some extent.
If you had an 18 yr old kid you may as well be just as concerned or moreso about them working with a bunch of tradies or in an office.
Teach your kid right and give them the opportunity to make their own correct decisions

At least the s**t with Ben is known and things would be looked out for

If you had an 18 yr old kid you may as well be just as concerned or moreso about them working with a bunch of tradies or in an office.
Teach your kid right and give them the opportunity to make their own correct decisions

At least the s**t with Ben is known and things would be looked out for

That risk is analogous to the risk represented by other players - not those specifically hired to monitor, coach and develop you.

Recently?.
Well he did fail a drug test while he was incarcerated then went on to say he was disappointed that he wasn't released before Christmas so he could see his kids. If he was that serious about being there for them, he would not have produced a positive drug test.
And yes having employment in a club environment might suit him but being in the exact Club where it all stemmed from might not exactly be positive.

Yeah, not seeing how this is a "PR" exercise from WC.

If anyone has something to lose here, it's the footy club. Imo, the only reason West Coast have made the offer public is so that there's no surprises - they are simply being transparent and up front so that there is no confusion about what's going on(and yes, they sure as hell haven't been in the past so I see this as a positive step).

Ironically, by doing that, there's more chance of bad PR than good. FMD there's some flogs on this board.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tick tick tick

Doctors have represented ice takes twelve months to kick. Given he was using inside, his twelve months clean is still a long way off.

Fingers crossed for him though.

Could be worse, could have ended up at a club with an off field issue of note within the last 10 years.
Yeah this is quite amusing. Freo have had a multitude more off field issues than West Coast the past 10 years.

Get your own house in order before you criticise, you premiership-less degenerates.

Could be worse, could have ended up at a club with an off field issue of note within the last 10 years.

An altercation at a nite club is worse than being addicted to ice and just getting out of prison after possession of drugs and breaking a restraining order .:rolleyes: I hope Ben gets himself clean but your statement is plain ridiculous.

An altercation at a nite club is worse than being addicted to ice and just getting out of prison after possession of drugs and breaking a restraining order .:rolleyes: I hope Ben gets himself clean but your statement is plain ridiculous.

How my statement in any way ridiculous?

I was replying to someone who suggested that going back to the club where his problems stemmed from would be ‘not exactly positive’?

I was commenting on the Eagles decent record in the last 10 years - not having a go at another clubs record?

I literally didn’t mention any other club.

Trust the freo supporters to be so negative about this...this isn’t a club issue
But it would be if the shoe was on the other foot guaranteed , And it would be far worse . We hate each other with a passion , More than any Vic Rivalry as you call it , if this was a former Docker champion returning to the club after a similar history , The statements would be far more scathing.
BTW i for one hope it works out , And my rivalry with West Coast is not as venomous as some ,I have seen a friend of a friend have their life ruined by a meth addict son , So i sincerely would love to see Ben make the best of this opportunity

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with what club he played for. My remarks are for who the person is not Eagles v Freo crap.
All I was saying he does not want to be helped and going back to a place that let him function as an addict might not be the best thing for him right now.

This has nothing to do with what club he played for. My remarks are for who the person is not Eagles v Freo crap.
All I was saying he does not want to be helped and going back to a place that let him function as an addict might not be the best thing for him right now.
When you say he does not want to be helped are you going from his comments a few years ago? Where he openly stated that rehab was not something he wanted, I am fairly sure that in his discussions with West Coast he may have changed his tune , And is now embracing Rehab , Otherwise they would not have offered him the job, As far as going back to the place where it all happened , The people will be vastly different , The culture will be vastly different, And now even the venue will be different , I see it as if he still holds a passion for West Coast they may be the best option ,Because he may feel he owes them something for what has happened , a debt if you like which he would not have with any other club

When you say he does not want to be helped are you going from his comments a few years ago? Where he openly stated that rehab was not something he wanted, I am fairly sure that in his discussions with West Coast he may have changed his tune , And is now embracing Rehab , Otherwise they would not have offered him the job, As far as going back to the place where it all happened , The people will be vastly different , The culture will be vastly different, And now even the venue will be different , I see it as if he still holds a passion for West Coast they may be the best option ,Because he may feel he owes them something for what has happened , a debt if you like which he would not have with any other club
Yea well he already has literally gotten his get out of jail free card with them offering him employment in the first place.
It got to point with him that the cops had said they have had enough of his shenanigans and they cant keep sweeping it under the rug.
That was the last time he was employed by the establishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back