Winter 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang [9 Feb - 25 Feb]

Remove this Banner Ad

1200px-PyeongChang_2018_Winter_Olympics.svg.png

Less than a month now until the start of the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang.

upload_2018-1-10_18-5-48.png

Don't think there will be enough interest to warrant a thread on individual sports - but will start an Aussie Watch thread to track how the Australian athletes go throughout the Games.

I do enjoy watching the Winter Olympics - possibly even more so than the Summer Olympics - even though I don't really follow any of these sports in between the Olympics.

Who is looking forward to this getting underway?

I do enjoy watching the Winter Olympics - possibly even more so than the Summer Olympics - even though I don't really follow any of these sports in between the Olympics.

I'm with you. Since we don't really see luge, skeleton and bobsleigh on a regular basis. (yes, I know it's on Eurosport channel on Foxtel but it's not the same)

Absolutely love the Winter Olympics. And my mission this time around is to get all my mates into it.

Biathlon, cross country, alpine skiing being my three favourites. So much quality here.

Cannot wait!!!

Love the Winter Olympics, seems that all the talk out of Austria is that their teams are having down years in Ski Jumping and Alpine Skiing (as much as a Nation can have with an athlete like Marcel Hirscher still dominating) so expect some discussion of that to be repeated if they don't peak in time for the Games with the major Alpine events of Wengen and Kitzbuhel over the next two weekends. As for what I'm looking forward to, it has to be Kamil Stoch of Poland and whether or not he can follow up becoming the 2nd person to go 4 wins out of 4 hills at the Vierschanzentournee over the New Year and do what Sven Hannawald failed to do in 2002 in winning Olympic Gold to match the feat

Last edited:
If this weather keeps up, I"ll probably have it on in the hope that images of snow can cool the loungeroom by 20 degrees.
I don't generally watch much of Olympics winter or summer, but generally find the sports in the winter games better viewing. Except the figure skating, which is down there with diving, tramampoline and rhythmic gymnastics of the summer games.

Does anyone know what Channel 7's coverage is going to be like? Multiple channels, full selection on an app? If they shaft us I'm going to be furious.

Nothing will ever come close to Foxtel's Vancouver coverage. Amazing.

their press release just says screens of 7 and app without providing details.

Believe it will be shown between the main channel and 7Mate (think also 7TWO but not 100% sure), but mainly on 7mate outside Primetime. They will have an app (swapping the 7Tennis over) for phones, tablets, website and AppleTV that will allow for full uninterrupted coverage in SD for each sport, with ads before the stream starts and if you want HD via the app you can pay $15.

Looks like it'll be on 7HD for majority of the day which is encouraging. Not sure about the extent of 7mate/two's coverage but if it's on there also simultaneously it'll be decent.

Believe it will be shown between the main channel and 7Mate (think also 7TWO but not 100% sure), but mainly on 7mate outside Primetime. They will have an app (swapping the 7Tennis over) for phones, tablets, website and AppleTV that will allow for full uninterrupted coverage in SD for each sport, with ads before the stream starts and if you want HD via the app you can pay $15.
That’s what they should’ve done for rio. Just use the tennis app and let people watch it on Apple TV and what not. Their was a massive bust

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opening Ceremony is on at a decent time so I'll watch that. Not watching this Front Bar s**t.

Except the figure skating, which is down there with diving, tramampoline and rhythmic gymnastics of the summer games.

Does anyone know what Channel 7's coverage is going to be like?

It'll be dominated by figure skating: Winter's equivalent of dancing horsies. Hockey coverage will be worse than normal with no NHL players and of course no Straya team. Probably watch a lot of pirate streams to see full events. Seven will be about brave Aussies just missing out on bronze.

Opening Ceremony is on at a decent time so I'll watch that. Not watching this Front Bar s**t.

It'll be dominated by figure skating: Winter's equivalent of dancing horsies. Hockey coverage will be worse than normal with no NHL players and of course no Straya team. Probably watch a lot of pirate streams to see full events. Seven will be about brave Aussies just missing out on bronze.

And the 'world champions' they have been pumping up who will fail massively in the heats.

Get around the snowboarding and my personal favourite Silje Norendal though

Yeah I'll be watching a lot of the 7 app I think, want to watch all the biathlon and cross-country I can, which I doubt will be shown much respect. And no doubt if they do shod the biathlon they'll take ad breaks at the very worst times.

Figure skating, like gymnastics, is only bearable if Roy & HG are commentating :D

Yeah I'll be watching a lot of the 7 app I think, want to watch all the biathlon and cross-country I can, which I doubt will be shown much respect. And no doubt if they do shod the biathlon they'll take ad breaks at the very worst times.

Or only show the random Australian in third last place :p

What Ive noticed is far too much coverage of the goings on of Nth Korea. Here's Nth Koreas military dance to celebrate their athletes leaving, here is their ship coming in, here is Nth Koreas welcome dance. Oh look! Here is kim jon un's sister arriving!

FFS we get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back