The Game In Crisis Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a fair few problems and it seems there isn’t much consensus in this thread.

A few points I’ve thought of, I’ve been to many games and there is a fairly large ugly undertone from a vocal minority of fans (I’m a victory fan), I’m not really sure why people think being a douchebag is essential to being a soccer fan.

I think this undercurrent of aggression off the field sets things up to be exclusive for the majority. Also what are these fans so angry about? There are no social or class lines for us to be hating other sides. It screams of people glorifying what they perceive to go in in Europe (where it largely doesn’t anymore).

Then there is the standard of play. I don’t think anyone is expecting it to be up with the top 3-4 leagues in the world, but we should be aiming for a level similar to say the Dutch league. Instead it’s a haven for mediocrity and journeymen who are preferred at basically every turn to youth. This is detrimental to the league and to the Australian national team (though not the only factor, the national team has gotten worse since the a league has existed).

I see your first point, but I've been to City games which don't have the ultra fan element and not only are attendances worse but the atmosphere is dire, same goes for contrast between WSW and Sydney FC (have watched both at home in the past) I'm not sure that argument is all that valid in terms of preventing revenue and growth of the game

Your second point I agree 100% with, there must be better ways to move average blokes (Jade North anyone?) on and encouraging promoting youth.

Last night was brilliant off the park but on the pitch the product was poor... very little in terms of incisive attacking play, unfortunately in other leagues in derbies thats fine (Juve vs Roma this morning wasn't much chop either) but they don't have to be battling other codes and sports for market share, there's not too much we can do about it without serious cash injection into talent on the park.v

Cant help but think that the FFA have done a lot of irreversible damage in their overreactions and overpolicing of the holliganism that reared its ugly head a few years ago (eg banning members on false allegations causing many to walk away as they feel that being an active supporter is going to see them treated like criminals).

FFA needs to cater for what current fervent soccer fans want and forget trying to please cricket, rugby and AFL fans who couldn't care less.

Found this on Facebook.

Screenshot_2018-01-02-18-41-30-1.png

Cant help but think that the FFA have done a lot of irreversible damage in their overreactions and overpolicing of the holliganism that reared its ugly head a few years ago (eg banning members on false allegations causing many to walk away as they feel that being an active supporter is going to see them treated like criminals).

FFA needs to cater for what current fervent soccer fans want and forget trying to please cricket, rugby and AFL fans who couldn't care less.

Found this on Facebook.

View attachment 448636
Unfortunately that is how people of those nations would see it. My Dad made that exact point :rolleyes:

Unfortunately that is how people of those nations would see it. My Dad made that exact point :rolleyes:
Yeah just piss poor shyte to take down the Balmy Army banners all driven by fun fascists with the help from some 'bitters'. The more banners the merrier (and I think they should allow the Eastern Europeans bring in their stuff too).

Yeah just piss poor shyte to take down the Balmy Army banners all driven by fun fascists with the help from some 'bitters'. The more banners the merrier (and I think they should allow the Eastern Europeans bring in their stuff too).
For sure! If they're derogatory, then sure, remove them. But they're harmless fans supporting their teams.

How is someone like you or I, the ordinary lover of football in Australia meant to help?
Aside from being a member of your club how are you suppose to let the FFA know how you feel. How are you suppose to offer suggestions, feelings or positive feedback?
Is there a supporters union that has access to someone inside the FFA? Can you speak to someone at the local level (Football West/Football Fed Vic etc etc)?

There's so many different things we, as a code, could be doing to market this league. Of which the few ideas I have actually would cost virtually nothing.
This whole "E League" thing screams of an old dude in the marketing department realising how big FIFA is as a game and putting all their work into establishing that in the hope that it will solve bridging the gap between junior player to full time member/supporter.

How is someone like you or I, the ordinary lover of football in Australia meant to help?
Aside from being a member of your club how are you suppose to let the FFA know how you feel. How are you suppose to offer suggestions, feelings or positive feedback?
Is there a supporters union that has access to someone inside the FFA? Can you speak to someone at the local level (Football West/Football Fed Vic etc etc)?

There's so many different things we, as a code, could be doing to market this league. Of which the few ideas I have actually would cost virtually nothing.
This whole "E League" thing screams of an old dude in the marketing department realising how big FIFA is as a game and putting all their work into establishing that in the hope that it will solve bridging the gap between junior player to full time member/supporter.
The FFA as the recent debacle with the state federations and clubs has proved are the most stubborn organisation in Australian sport, they refuse to listen, ever.
Even mass walkouts and protests by supporter groups in the end achieved little.

I came up with a fixture list for next season, and it runs for 275 days and begins on the 24th August and ends with the grand final on the 25th May. This is only a fantasy sort of fixture as it requires a two team expansion and also has breaks for international windows. Another theory I came up with is that our winter transfer window can run from 1 June to 31 July so clubs have nearly a month to prepare with a full squad already in shape. Continuing on from the fantasy theme, I think it would also be great that with six games a week, four of them could be on a big channel on free to air such as the main channels of 7,9 or 10. FFA Cup matches could be played mid week during the season and so would champions league games. One cup game per match day should also be on free to air telly as well as all champions league matches involving Aussie teams. Being the main headline on the back page of newspapers between October and December and then February and March. This would be great for the league and would help create a new mass of fans

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I came up with a fixture list for next season, and it runs for 275 days and begins on the 24th August and ends with the grand final on the 25th May. This is only a fantasy sort of fixture as it requires a two team expansion and also has breaks for international windows. Another theory I came up with is that our winter transfer window can run from 1 June to 31 July so clubs have nearly a month to prepare with a full squad already in shape. Continuing on from the fantasy theme, I think it would also be great that with six games a week, four of them could be on a big channel on free to air such as the main channels of 7,9 or 10. FFA Cup matches could be played mid week during the season and so would champions league games. One cup game per match day should also be on free to air telly as well as all champions league matches involving Aussie teams. Being the main headline on the back page of newspapers between October and December and then February and March. This would be great for the league and would help create a new mass of fans

If only the mainstream media and the "mass of fans" actually cared this would have already eventuated, unfortunately they don't. Can't see it happening anytime soon or beyond. This is what we all have to accept and get a reality check! No matter the fantasy you may come up with.
Australians just do not care enough for the world game. A shame but that's the reality.

The opportunity is still there for the A League to increase its numbers but for whatever reason there seems a reluctance to put the A League out there. For instance, a weekly "wrap" show on free to air (funded by the FFA) would be an easy way to gain a casual observers interest as they're unlikely to sit through a 90 minute match.

As part of the TV rights I would have made it a requirement of whoever obtained the free to air rights for the Saturday night game to have played this review show on a Monday night or at the very least provided something similar online through a youtube or similar platform. The FFA has been operating its commercial arrangements like a desperate 17 year old trying to get their dick touched by anyone that is willing and that stench of desperation has made it an easy target.

The fact that short term profit is seen as the number one priority is causing the league to stagnate to alarming levels. Also, the reactionary nature of the active fans (and there punishments) has caused a ripple that will continue to spread throughout the league for possibly a decade. Sadly, Melbourne Victory were one of the few clubs that had the chance to step up to the FFA and stadiums and stick with the loyal members but they chose to be puppet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the week break now (or maybe not if we play the catch-up game against WSW) so hopefully we can reassess our game plan for Perth at home and give the Mariners their spoon. That'll help our case for survival for the next year or two..

It's unprofessional from pundits to say publicly to get rid of teams. They think it's harmless discussion, but this can only fuel the FFA's agendas to remove us. No CEOs in the league want us gone, and if this was an Independent A-League, we'd be safe. But now... I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of us, THEN get rid of the cap to make it hurt even more...

. I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of us, THEN get rid of the cap to make it hurt even more...

And become independent straight after.

I dont want them gone. Cant see how that benefits the league as we need more teams not less.
People seem to think the only way we get more Aussie teams is to chop Welly or maybe more CC. Its ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Two ways to deal with Wellington.

1) The easy way is to just boot them out, it wont bat much of an eyelid here after all why should we care or help New Zealand soccer? best to offer another Australian club the license that will benefit Australian football.

2) Or take the hard risky way and give them a long term license like every other A-League club. What the Nix need is a rival to make them feel relevant, setting up another club in New Zealand to offer a rival and competition to grow could benefit both the Nix and the new franchise as well as NZL soccer and the A-League. If done right of course. But NZL soccer needs to to put in there fair share of the load too as well as NZL soccer fans will they care enough? not sure how much NZL soccer contribute and help out the Nix Andonis1997 can share some light on that.

Option one is the most short term obvious one which most will look at but I truly believe if both nations want to grow the sport together than take the risk of option two. I know we had a club in Auckland at the beginning of the A-League which didn't work but I think enough time has past to go back and this time do it right! I mean Auckland has massive potential for a second NZL team, population of 1m+ or close to it at least, way bigger than any other Australian City that hasn't got a team yet.

Something needs to be done because the way the club is now just isn't working. even a re brand or rename won't work.

Two ways to deal with Wellington.

1) The easy way is to just boot them out, it wont bat much of an eyelid here after all why should we care or help New Zealand soccer? best to offer another Australian club the license that will benefit Australian football.

2) Or take the hard risky way and give them a long term license like every other A-League club. What the Nix need is a rival to make them feel relevant, setting up another club in New Zealand to offer a rival and competition to grow could benefit both the Nix and the new franchise as well as NZL soccer and the A-League. If done right of course. But NZL soccer needs to to put in there fair share of the load too as well as NZL soccer fans will they care enough? not sure how much NZL soccer contribute and help out the Nix Andonis1997 can share some light on that.

Option one is the most short term obvious one which most will look at but I truly believe if both nations want to grow the sport together than take the risk of option two. I know we had a club in Auckland at the beginning of the A-League which didn't work but I think enough time has past to go back and this time do it right! I mean Auckland has massive potential for a second NZL team, population of 1m+ or close to it at least, way bigger than any other Australian City that hasn't got a team yet.

Something needs to be done because the way the club is now just isn't working. even a re brand or rename won't work.
1. If that happened I will become a monk and situate myself far from society (and the world game).
However I'll use the whole "bringing up Aussie youth" point once again.. We contribute to the development of Aussie players more than anyone in the league. currently have Aussies galore in our squad. Italiano (who will now get replaced by Velaphi), Fox, Parkhouse, Lowry, Burns (yes, he's not youth) and in the past, Tratt and Powell, both of which were stars for us. Our captain, who has been in the squad for at least 8 years, Andrew Durante is from Sydney!!

2. New Zealand Football (NZF) are still so much more focused on their own league. Scroll through just their facebook page and see how much mention of the A-League side there is.. January 11th. Jumping on the bandwagon for the win against the Victory.
https://www.facebook.com/FootballNZ/

A second team would create the interest, yes, but I'm not sure how long for until the Auckland "faithful" will stay with them. And from there, that'll remove some of our fanbase also.. We just seriously need this independent A-League, quick, otherwise we're doomed.

The GM of the Nix, David Dome is aggravating the Nix faithful at the moment, also, which does not help anyone. The last home game of the season is being moved to Auckland, leaving those with memberships in Wellington furious with the decision. Two less trips to Westpac Stadium, as QBE Stadium is already getting a Nix V Jets match..

How quick of a timeframe is it possible for us to get an independent league? Is it possible for the start of next season?

No! But If all goes to plan (very much doubt it) and by what Del Pietro said the plan is to have it all set up by the start of 2019/20 season.

The FFA have to get these next two sides right. No risk approach with them which means Woolongong has to be one of them. The second one if in Victoria can't be South Melbourne. Too risky for the other two Melboirne clubs. A SE Melbourne or Geelong side would have little effect on the weekly numbers victory and city get.

As for the Phoenix it's really worrying how they keep going backwards. NZF should want that side to do well but they don't give a s**t about it. It's the only New Zealand professional football team and they don't care how well it goes. I said last time the club was on its knees the smartest thing to do would be unite the side into a national team NZ United splitting games across Auckland and Wellington. Really play on the NZ us against them mentality. In summer there's really no excuse for both cities not get behind it. But the current narrative of poor old Nix vs the Aussies doesn't really do it for them. There's a lot of English expats who'd love a proper side to follow but right now they see the Nix as a shambles and don't get behind it. The FFA don't have an obligation for it to work over there but there's a 1.5m market in Auckland-Wellington that they'd be stupid to walk away from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back