National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Twitter

They need to fire their marketing department, I mean they should probably fire everyone that's been involved in this message but still

FWIW my MP Michelle Rowland is shadow Comms Minister and has been up him from the moment she took up the portfolio.
Sadly it's never reported.

Twitter is where i see it
Unfortunately in opposition the media seem to focus on the leader and deputy. Neither of whom have taken a lead on this issue. As a lefty I must confess to thinking Shorten is as weak as piss.

Last edited:
So with all the ACCC action recently and the proposed changes to CVC the wording on Telstra's recent refresh of their plans is enlightening.

I'm on Telstra cable I'm on 40Mbits download, during peak I still get that, if I was on NBN with Telstra I would only be guaranteed 15Mbits for the same price, to get the same speed I get now would cost me an extra $20 a month because at that point Telstra is just the retailer

Hopfefully they fix the CVC issue finally and pricing/performance becomes more competitive with what people have now

So with all the ACCC action recently and the proposed changes to CVC the wording on Telstra's recent refresh of their plans is enlightening.

I'm on Telstra cable I'm on 40Mbits download, during peak I still get that, if I was on NBN with Telstra I would only be guaranteed 15Mbits for the same price, to get the same speed I get now would cost me an extra $20 a month because at that point Telstra is just the retailer

Hopfefully they fix the CVC issue finally and pricing/performance becomes more competitive with what people have now
That's a bit strange. I had 100mb cable (paid for the speed boost) and when I received the letter to switch to NBN within 18 months, the plans they offered were more expensive for the same speed. Worth noting that the upload speed on NBN was much better though - 40mb instead of ******* 1.5mb. I waited six months to see if prices would change and then got another letter stating that Telstra were now offering all NBN plans at the same price as cable, so I took them up on it.

I now have a HFC connection with 100/40 speeds on the same price. My actual bandwidth doesn't fluctuate much at all, and I've never seen it drop below around 95/35.

Might be worth checking back with Telstra because I think there was a ruling of some kind that forced them to offer the same speeds at the same price for NBN switchovers, though I'm not 100% up to date with NBN issues and could be wrong.

That's a bit strange. I had 100mb cable (paid for the speed boost) and when I received the letter to switch to NBN within 18 months, the plans they offered were more expensive for the same speed. Worth noting that the upload speed on NBN was much better though - 40mb instead of ******* 1.5mb. I waited six months to see if prices would change and then got another letter stating that Telstra were now offering all NBN plans at the same price as cable, so I took them up on it.

I now have a HFC connection with 100/40 speeds on the same price. My actual bandwidth doesn't fluctuate much at all, and I've never seen it drop below around 95/35.

Might be worth checking back with Telstra because I think there was a ruling of some kind that forced them to offer the same speeds at the same price for NBN switchovers, though I'm not 100% up to date with NBN issues and could be wrong.
They now have to advertise your guaranteed peak speed based on how many CVCs the ISP has purchased per user.
NBN are changing their system for how they charge ISP for bandwidth so it could become less of a problem in the future.
Current most ISP only pay for 1.5-3 MBps per user which means when everyone is on you get slowed down

They now have to advertise your guaranteed peak speed based on how many CVCs the ISP has purchased per user.
NBN are changing their system for how they charge ISP for bandwidth so it could become less of a problem in the future.
Current most ISP only pay for 1.5-3 MBps per user which means when everyone is on you get slowed down
Ah ok. Yeah that's far more info that I was aware of. Not even sure what a CVC is. Will look it all up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the NBN was ever going to pay for itself under Conroy's back of an envelope plan or Turnbull's Labor lite alternative.

We'll never know now will we ?
Rupert stomped his foot and that was that

They need to fire their marketing department, I mean they should probably fire everyone that's been involved in this message but still

Lol at least they are honest about what it will get used for and admit its a complete white elephant

Like the NBN was ever going to pay for itself under Conroy's back of an envelope plan or Turnbull's Labor lite alternative.

One might ask if OUR investment in power infrastructure, or the PMG phone system, or the national road, or rail networks were EVER paid for other than by the tax payer. ? However they were all huge economic drivers of the time.

Australia is a big place with a small population. Its always relied on government (taxpayer) funded national infrastructure development.

The NBN was always doomed to struggle once it became a political football & Turnbull made a mess of it with copper cable & promises we'd all be connected for less, by last year.

The Internet is the highway, communication mode for jobs in the future & its been FKT up because of dumb political bastardry. Our kids will suffer with less job prospects & economic opportunities because of our current selfish ignorant politicians & disastrous party political games.

Lol at least they are honest about what it will get used for and admit its a complete white elephant
Honest? They've been the opposite of honest throughout this whole thing

One might ask if OUR investment in power infrastructure, or the PMG phone system, or the national road, or rail networks were EVER paid for other than by the tax payer. ? However they were all huge economic drivers of the time.

Australia is a big place with a small population. Its always relied on government (taxpayer) funded national infrastructure development.

The NBN was always doomed to struggle once it became a political football & Turnbull made a mess of it with copper cable & promises we'd all be connected for less, by last year.

The Internet is the highway, communication mode for jobs in the future & its been FKT up because of dumb political bastardry. Our kids will suffer with less job prospects & economic opportunities because of our current selfish ignorant politicians & disastrous party political games.

Except Labor's FTTP and Lib's FTTN were both established on the basis that the NBN make a commercial return rather than be a tax payer infrastructure cost.

Don't think you understand what a white elephant is.. A stadium that gets used 3 times a year is a white elephant.. an infrastructure project that is used and upgraded constantly to allow people access to the internet is not.

#medusalasintellect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back