Feedback What I hate about BigFooty - 10 years on

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's the same on each of the forums that I visit.

I don't think we visit the same boards.

It's hard to come across actual football discussion, and has been that way for some time now.

I agree with that and people love to whinge. Still don't see the link to the like button on say the main board.
I only visit the Swans and GWS boards of the club's and they're usually upbeat.

Aug 15, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
lol

This is what I wrote 10 years ago and I stand by it:

This is what i hate the most.

Thread Title - 'Franklin is the best KPP!!!!'

'Butane
Team: Western Bulldogs

I reckon that Franklin is a little over-rated at the moment. Yes he's going to be a star for 10 years, but he's just not there yet. That's just my opinion'

Name: Hawksdabestz
Team Hawthorn

'Sud up wat wud u no, dogz got no ford line.'

(What the hell does the Western Bulldogs have to do with Franklin? I hate that!)

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
lol

This is what I wrote 10 years ago and I stand by it:

This is what i hate the most.

Thread Title - 'Franklin is the best KPP!!!!'

'Butane
Team: Western Bulldogs

I reckon that Franklin is a little over-rated at the moment. Yes he's going to be a star for 10 years, but he's just not there yet. That's just my opinion'

Name: Hawksdabestz
Team Hawthorn

'Sud up wat wud u no, dogz got no ford line.'

(What the hell does the Western Bulldogs have to do with Franklin? I hate that!)

Hahaha yeah it's a good one, but you should come support Freo where you'll get some beauties like "your team hasn't won a Flag ever, what would you know about Premierships", now thats top-notch bigfooty!!!

Hahaha yeah it's a good one, but you should come support Freo where you'll get some beauties like "your team hasn't won a Flag ever, what would you know about Premierships", now thats top-notch bigfooty!!!

At least people can never look at your join date and accuse you of bandwaggoning :p

Like most of these irritating responses you can put it down to a logical fallacy: this one is an appeal to false authority.

The other person is simply trying to get an emotional response rather than a reasoned one.

Ignore them or reply with reason. They either shut up or change their approach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
A new feature I don't understand is why we now have the 'similar threads' section down the bottom when as a general rule the mods seems to take a dim view of people bumping old threads.

If you're just going to lock old threads when they get bumped then it seems counterproductive to provide a list of them after every thread.

A new feature I don't understand is why we now have the 'similar threads' section down the bottom when as a general rule the mods seems to take a dim view of people bumping old threads.

If you're just going to lock old threads when they get bumped then it seems counterproductive to provide a list of them after every thread.
Maybe so people can read old threads? Or find existing recent threads on a topic? Do you think people HAVE to post in those threads no matter how old they are or that they should use their best judgement?

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Criticism of moderators is frowned upon, so let me emphasise: this is not a criticism of the mods per se, but the moderating system we all have to work with.

I never liked the way posts can be deleted by moderators based on one person out of 1000 taking offence to a post and using the “report bad post” function. I know the mods try to be even-handed, but when they react to complaints and read posts out of context, they automatically have preconceived negative bias based on the complaint. We all know words on a page can be ambiguous and people can sometimes derive sinister meanings where none was intended.

I realise there is a shitload of traffic on some boards and it’s probably easier for all the threads to be moderated based on the complaint system, but I just think it has encouraged a culture of dobbing from thin-skinned precious people overreacting to opinions they dislike.

Passion is what drives footy and fuels any good discussion about the game. In my opinion, this has been stealthily and subtly been eroded on Big Footy. Moderators seem to focus more on nipping any potential shitfights in the bud and removing worthwhile thoughtful provocative posts purely so they don’t have to “clean up” dozens of abusive posts which follow. It’s the abusive posts which should be removed. Not the thoughtful provocative post.

I liken it to a parent who hears their two children fighting and reacts to the screaming and crying of their youngest child by admonishing the eldest without bothering to find the cause of the angst. The youngest quickly learns they can get their way by screaming and getting their older sibling in trouble.

The quality of discussion threads suffer when moderators cater to the most stupid intolerant abusive people.

So that’s my pet hate with Big Footy, although I don’t suppose me posting this will make any difference. What would I know? I’ve only been posting here for 12 years and I’ve been nothing but “trouble”... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don’t like it, ignore it? Pretty simple. It’s the approach I take to your minnow team. :)
Pretty hard to ignore when you get an influx of messages from people wanting you to join the SFA. Like annoying telemarketers you cretins are.....then some of you don't take no for an answer asking for an explanation as to why I won't join.

I have zero desire playing make-believe dungeons & dragons s**t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty hard to ignore when you get an influx of messages from people wanting you to join the SFA. Like annoying telemarketers you cretins are.....then some of you don't take no for an answer asking for an explanation as to why I won't join.

I have zero desire playing make-believe dungeons & dragons s**t.

I and Wooshette have bought this to the attention of the board and the mods, hopefully it does not happen again.
I suggest if it happens again then have a talk to Cloud_ who is the new Admin of the SFA, The Filth Wizard or Blacky who are the Mods of the board.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Like most of these irritating responses you can put it down to a logical fallacy: this one is an appeal to false authority.

The other person is simply trying to get an emotional response rather than a reasoned one.

Ignore them or reply with reason. They either shut up or change their approach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So i'm not fat and ugly with questionable hygiene?

Back