Opinion Individual player expectations for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Any thoughts on players that will impress/regress/finesse?

I've jotted down whatever came to mind for each player.

Ah Chee

To play well enough so that his time at East Perth will be minimal or non-existent. Expecting him to be a solid contributor, with more quiet games than really good games. Maybe like Redden 2017.

Ainsworth

I didn't really like the pick at the time. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Barrass

I hope he plays every week. He is pretty slow but think his strengths mean he will be a decent player for us for a long time.

Bayok

Being Cat B means there is less pressure. Just hope he can keep improving, either dominating the midfield of reserves or putting up decent league performances.

Brander

He really tailed off at the end of the 2017 TAC Cup season. If he can get back to the form that had him in contention for no. 1 then we've got a great player on our hands.

Brayshaw

I think he is going to grow into the WAFL season. Expecting maximum effort every week.

Burrows

Going to be interesting to see how he goes - assume he starts in the reserves.

Cole

I feel like I haven't seen much of him. Really uncertain about what to expect.

Cripps

Now that he has some competition for a spot, I feel like he needs to play to his strengths, and focus on being a pressure forward. Heaps of tackles, heaps of pressure. This could really complement the class (and laziness of LeCras). I'm not sure if Ryan and Rioli are the most defensive forwards either, so we may need Cripps to deliver in this area.

Darling

Expecting more of the same. Maybe a bit more time leading up the wings.

Duggan

I hope we keep him at HBF and let him flourish in the role. Will give him confidence I think, before he moves into the midfield in a year or two.

England

Know next to nothing about him. Haven't heard any training reports mention him.

Gaff

Hope he stays. Such a crucial player for us.

Hurn

Expecting more of the same. Can't see him dropping off yet.

Hutchings

While he is average, he is probably a better HFF than Redden, Ah Chee and Sheed. So they may want that flexibility.

Jetta

It would be nice if he tried every week - with effort he adds so much to the team.

Karpany

Can't see him playing unless there are injuries. But think he can keep improving slightly so that this year will be his best so far. Just don't think he can make it.

Kennedy

His injury sounds a bit concering. If he is fit I'm expecting another huge year.

LeCras

Think he will be a bit further up the ground, trying to use his class on a flank with Ryan and Rioli playing deeper. Should be his last year but has a few good games left in him.

Lycett

Hard to know who will win the battle between Lycett and Vardy. Lycett will have to show that he can be an effective forward. He's missed so much football lately that it's hard to know how his year is going to go.

M. Allen

I'd sort of written him off, but apparently he is training well.

Mackenzie

Think he will be better than 2016 and hopefully 2017, but still a long way from his peak.

Masten

Some of his games in 2017 were his worst I can remember. If he can just go back to what he does best, then he can at least provide useful depth for us.

McGovern

More of the same. Hopefully all at CHB.

McInnes

Expecting lots of good WAFL performances.

Mutimer

I'm still not sure what his best position is. Can't see him making it.

Naitanui

Expecting a really slow start, with flashes of brilliance. Doesn't seem like he is back to full fitness, so worried that he may miss some footy, fingers crossed he is ok. By the middle of the year expect to see more of his trade-mark dominance. Really hoping he can play well as a resting forward.

Nelson

From his interview he is staying in the backline. I think he now has enough experience to stay in the team. Has a fait bit to work on but think he can do enough to be in our best 7 defenders.

O. Allen

Hopefully he gets over his leg injuries soon. I think he is purely a forward, but is going to be a good player for us in a couple of years.

Olango

Same as Burrows.

Partington

Feels like we've forgotten what times were like at the height of Partington-mania in mid-2017. I think he will spend equal time in WAFL and AFL. His greatest challenge will be contributing as a forward flanker, when he is probably more suited to playing as a rover.

Petrucelle

Sounds exciting, but with kicking issues. I'm not expecting much but looking forward to seeing him in the flesh.

Redden

He played a few good games in the back half of the year. He will get opportunity and a role that should suit him. I'm tipping him to deliver tackling and b-grade performances all year, which is really all we can ask from him.

Rioli

Incredibly bullish on Willie. Feel like his hammies are the only thing that can stop him. I think he will look at home at AFL level. He may have some low output games, but great impact per possession. Think he could be one of the big stories in the AFL in 2018.

Rotham

His numbers towards the end of the year were pretty poor. If he could string together some half-decent senior WAFL performances together it would be a massive improvement. If he can't show much then he may be a bust.

Ryan

I think he will come in and contribute from round 1. Like Rioli, he may be a bit quiet sometimes, but I can see him averaging 10 touches and 2 goals a game.

Schofield

Will put in 6.5/10 performances each week, mostly in the WAFL but some AFL.

Sheed

Our best young mid. And he's not that good. I think he will have a great season though, will get heaps of opportunity and hopefully a few standout games.

Sheppard

Be interesting to see if we go with only two tall defenders, could bring KPD Shep back into action - how good was he in 2015.

Shuey

Going to cop some big tags this year. Should be good enough to fight through it most weeks.

Vardy

Think he is a better forward than Lycett, but worse ruck. Be a good battle in the JLT for the second ruck role.

Venables

I don't think he will have the tank for much midfield. I'm expecting him to spend equal parts in WAFL and AFL as a forward flanker. Think he will be inconsistent but classy, showing that he can develop into a really exciting player who splits time between midfield and half forward.

Waterman

If he can have a good run with injury I think he can press for selection. He's got good aggression.

Watson

Really showed promising signs a couple of times in 2017. But his disposal at times was horrible, as was his consistency. I'm expecting him to improve the consistency but still battle a bit with disposal. I think he will play some AFL and deliver some quality footy.

Yeo

All about how well he can play in the midfield, and how much time he spends there. I'm not confident that he can step up to being an a-grade mid. But if he can be a good mid half the time and an excellent HBF the rest of the time, then that would be a good outcome.

I think your pretty much spot on in your assessment. The players who we need to really step up now would be likes of Ah Chee, Hutchings and Redden who are capable of winning a contested ball. The inclusion of Nic Nat will certainly help their cause.

As for the younger brigade i have high hopes for future midfielders Venebles and Partington. Seen enough of them at WAFL level to suggest they will be A graders. Also looking forward to seeing Ryan and Rioli perform on the big stage. Judging by their highlight reels they are both blessed with exceptional talent.

Good to see someone else has a realistic view on Barrass. Suma Magic. He seemed to have bulked up too much last year and appeared quite slow. As a young man that is a worrying sign for the future. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has been to training if he has shed a few kilos ?

Ah Chee

To play more than 15 games. To be played as a midfielder for the vast majority of that time. Avg more than 18 disposal per game. WCE fans soon grow to love him

Ainsworth

To play 1-2 games. Build some solid WAFL form. He'll be a vital part of the team in 4-5 years.

Barrass

Play every week hopefully. Be given more responsibility. Overtake Lever as most promising young defender.

Bayok

No idea

Brander

Take a bit of time then exert dominance in the WAFL near the end of the season. Probably wont see much of him until 2020 but that's fine. He'll be a great player for WCE

Brayshaw

Not sure... if Hutchings, Redden, Sheed or Duggan fall to injury or form he may be brought in. 3-5 games. Could be a surprise packet. Half expecting him to be given a shot midway through the season then cement his spot.

Burrows

Not sure.

Cole

Oh Cole.... WAFL bound or rising star of the year. Could be anything... 5-7 games.

Cripps

Needs to be given the same instructions as Dan Rioli in the GF. There will be plenty of goals from the other forwards, just chase and tackle. I don't care if he kicks less than 10 goals in the season as long as he goes back to manic pressure in the 50. I think he'll do it and Ryan and Rioli will help inspire him.

Darling

More steady growth. Will kick a bag of 7 or more twice in the season to shut up the critics.

Duggan

50/50 mid and HBF. Keeps trying to break tackles but becomes more effective. Becomes more physical. BOG 4 times. Comes seventh in B and F

England

Dont know.

Gaff

Re-signs. avg more than 28 disposals a game and improves his contested work slightly. 6th in B and F

Hurn

More of the glorious same.

Hutchings

Loses his spot to Ah Chee. Brought in when midfielders fall to injury or form.

Jetta

Avg more than 18 disposals and a goal a game. Plays every game.

Karpany

2-3 games again. On the brink. Needs to improve or will be cut

Kennedy

Slight drop off from last year. Still 50 plus goals. More forward options means the load is able to be shared more. 5th in B and F

LeCras

Probably play 15 plus games. Regretably I think his output will fall and he'll retire a year too late.

Lycett

Midway through the year cements his spot as no2 Ruckman

M. Allen

3-4 games. Kicks 5 goals. Another solid year of development.

Mackenzie

Plays most games and improves from last year.

Masten

Will play 7-10 games. Will tease us with 2 quite good games then falls from grace pretty quick

McGovern

AA. Plays 15 percent forward. 2nd in B and F

McInnes

WAFL king.

Mutimer

1-2 games. Underwhelming.

Naitanui

Starts slowly. Is barely seen in the first 4 matches. Then starts to pick up steam. Human Wrecking Ball and Tapping Machine after the bye.

Nelson

Cements spot. Flirts a bit with Midfield and given tagging role a few times. Avg more than 16 disposals per game.

O. Allen

1-2 games. Takes a while to adjust but soon becomes a solid player in WAFL. Starts to become a regular in the WCE team near the end of 2019

Olango

No idea

Partington

plays 10 plus games. Rising Star Nominee. Shows flashes with one 20 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 goals game a highlight, but one game with 5 disposals and no tackles. Starts to become a regular late 2019

Petrucelle

1-2 games. Especially if either Ryan, Rioli or Cripps falls from grace. Doesnt do much in the first game. Has an exciting run down the wing on the 2nd. Unfortunately he kicks the ball OOB

Redden

Avg more than 23 disposals per game. Plays every game. Solid, reliable performer.

Rioli

15 plus games. 25 plus goals. Features in the Ryan and Rioli show headlines more than once. 2 nominations for goal of the year.

Rotham

No idea

Ryan

12 touches and 1.5 goals a game. 3 nominations for mark and goal of the year. Plays 18 plus games. Best performer of the 2017 draft.

Schofield

3-5 games a year. Headbutts Oliver, indefinite suspension.

Sheed

Avg more than 25 disposals a game. BOG 5 times. 3rd in B and F.

Sheppard

Solid contributer. Plays 16 plus games

Shuey

Slight drop in form as opposition coaches identify stopping him as the key to beating WCE. 4th B and F

Vardy

5 plus games. Solid Contributer

Venables

15 plus games. Rising Star nominee but inconsistent. Has 2 below 8 disposal games. Has 3 brilliant games. The other 10 are average 13 disposal .5 goal games.

Waterman

No idea

Watson

2-3 games. Not sure if he can make it

Yeo

Half Mid Half Def. 100 percent awesome.

Not AA because has an undefined role. But wins WCE B and F

Last edited:
I wont get into every player.

Redden: I expect him to at least get back to his 2012/2013 form where he lays plenty of tackles and average 25-28 disposals a game. If he can step it up this will help Shuey out more in the long run.

Gaff: I hope he has a good rest over the break because he looked stuffed by the end of the season and with his disposal looking very average. I know some suggest he should be playing in the guts more often but he doesn't have the body for it and i would rather we utilised his strength and that is his gut running + disposal efficiency ( was off this year). I would like to see him kick a few extra goals too.

Nic Nat: There is a big chance he will struggle this year so i am in no way expecting him to get back to his best. I think his aim should be to play 12-15 games this year.

Ryan/Rioli: I am lumping these two together because i think they can form a dangerous combination alongside our tall forwards.

Sheed: He showed last year what he is capable of when given a run through the middle and he has a really good purple patch before slowing down as the year went on. Hopefully he has built up he his strength and endurance so he can be set for a big year. My tip for top 5 in the BnF.

Duggan: Showed he is a capable player even if it was down back. I still think he should play 70% mid and 30% down back. Under the tutelage of Van Berlo and Mitchell i expect a big improvement of his midfield game.

I've jotted down whatever came to mind for each player.

Ah Chee

To play well enough so that his time at East Perth will be minimal or non-existent. Expecting him to be a solid contributor, with more quiet games than really good games. Maybe like Redden 2017.

Ainsworth

I didn't really like the pick at the time. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Barrass

I hope he plays every week. He is pretty slow but think his strengths mean he will be a decent player for us for a long time.

Bayok

Being Cat B means there is less pressure. Just hope he can keep improving, either dominating the midfield of reserves or putting up decent league performances.

Brander

He really tailed off at the end of the 2017 TAC Cup season. If he can get back to the form that had him in contention for no. 1 then we've got a great player on our hands.

Brayshaw

I think he is going to grow into the WAFL season. Expecting maximum effort every week.

Burrows

Going to be interesting to see how he goes - assume he starts in the reserves.

Cole

I feel like I haven't seen much of him. Really uncertain about what to expect.

Cripps

Now that he has some competition for a spot, I feel like he needs to play to his strengths, and focus on being a pressure forward. Heaps of tackles, heaps of pressure. This could really complement the class (and laziness of LeCras). I'm not sure if Ryan and Rioli are the most defensive forwards either, so we may need Cripps to deliver in this area.

Darling

Expecting more of the same. Maybe a bit more time leading up the wings.

Duggan

I hope we keep him at HBF and let him flourish in the role. Will give him confidence I think, before he moves into the midfield in a year or two.

England

Know next to nothing about him. Haven't heard any training reports mention him.

Gaff

Hope he stays. Such a crucial player for us.

Hurn

Expecting more of the same. Can't see him dropping off yet.

Hutchings

While he is average, he is probably a better HFF than Redden, Ah Chee and Sheed. So they may want that flexibility.

Jetta

It would be nice if he tried every week - with effort he adds so much to the team.

Karpany

Can't see him playing unless there are injuries. But think he can keep improving slightly so that this year will be his best so far. Just don't think he can make it.

Kennedy

His injury sounds a bit concering. If he is fit I'm expecting another huge year.

LeCras

Think he will be a bit further up the ground, trying to use his class on a flank with Ryan and Rioli playing deeper. Should be his last year but has a few good games left in him.

Lycett

Hard to know who will win the battle between Lycett and Vardy. Lycett will have to show that he can be an effective forward. He's missed so much football lately that it's hard to know how his year is going to go.

M. Allen

I'd sort of written him off, but apparently he is training well.

Mackenzie

Think he will be better than 2016 and hopefully 2017, but still a long way from his peak.

Masten

Some of his games in 2017 were his worst I can remember. If he can just go back to what he does best, then he can at least provide useful depth for us.

McGovern

More of the same. Hopefully all at CHB.

McInnes

Expecting lots of good WAFL performances.

Mutimer

I'm still not sure what his best position is. Can't see him making it.

Naitanui

Expecting a really slow start, with flashes of brilliance. Doesn't seem like he is back to full fitness, so worried that he may miss some footy, fingers crossed he is ok. By the middle of the year expect to see more of his trade-mark dominance. Really hoping he can play well as a resting forward.

Nelson

From his interview he is staying in the backline. I think he now has enough experience to stay in the team. Has a fait bit to work on but think he can do enough to be in our best 7 defenders.

O. Allen

Hopefully he gets over his leg injuries soon. I think he is purely a forward, but is going to be a good player for us in a couple of years.

Olango

Same as Burrows.

Partington

Feels like we've forgotten what times were like at the height of Partington-mania in mid-2017. I think he will spend equal time in WAFL and AFL. His greatest challenge will be contributing as a forward flanker, when he is probably more suited to playing as a rover.

Petrucelle

Sounds exciting, but with kicking issues. I'm not expecting much but looking forward to seeing him in the flesh.

Redden

He played a few good games in the back half of the year. He will get opportunity and a role that should suit him. I'm tipping him to deliver tackling and b-grade performances all year, which is really all we can ask from him.

Rioli

Incredibly bullish on Willie. Feel like his hammies are the only thing that can stop him. I think he will look at home at AFL level. He may have some low output games, but great impact per possession. Think he could be one of the big stories in the AFL in 2018.

Rotham

His numbers towards the end of the year were pretty poor. If he could string together some half-decent senior WAFL performances together it would be a massive improvement. If he can't show much then he may be a bust.

Ryan

I think he will come in and contribute from round 1. Like Rioli, he may be a bit quiet sometimes, but I can see him averaging 10 touches and 2 goals a game.

Schofield

Will put in 6.5/10 performances each week, mostly in the WAFL but some AFL.

Sheed

Our best young mid. And he's not that good. I think he will have a great season though, will get heaps of opportunity and hopefully a few standout games.

Sheppard

Be interesting to see if we go with only two tall defenders, could bring KPD Shep back into action - how good was he in 2015.

Shuey

Going to cop some big tags this year. Should be good enough to fight through it most weeks.

Vardy

Think he is a better forward than Lycett, but worse ruck. Be a good battle in the JLT for the second ruck role.

Venables

I don't think he will have the tank for much midfield. I'm expecting him to spend equal parts in WAFL and AFL as a forward flanker. Think he will be inconsistent but classy, showing that he can develop into a really exciting player who splits time between midfield and half forward.

Waterman

If he can have a good run with injury I think he can press for selection. He's got good aggression.

Watson

Really showed promising signs a couple of times in 2017. But his disposal at times was horrible, as was his consistency. I'm expecting him to improve the consistency but still battle a bit with disposal. I think he will play some AFL and deliver some quality footy.

Yeo

All about how well he can play in the midfield, and how much time he spends there. I'm not confident that he can step up to being an a-grade mid. But if he can be a good mid half the time and an excellent HBF the rest of the time, then that would be a good outcome.
Great read. Agree with most things, do you really think Ryan will kick 50 goals in his Debut season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

remember the Partington fever last season (the new parter of the red seas/saviour of our modern game/answer to all eagles problems) even a touch of Murt fever before that..it all died down pretty quick once reality hit us on the head.
I remember reading this over and over again in 2017 and it annoyed me.

Show me anyone anywhere who actually thought Partington was going to be a saviour of anything?

If was fever pitch to get him in the side because he was dominating WAFL whilst AFL players were underperforming and not being dropped. Nobody actually expected him to come in and have a huge impact. Even more so when Simpson played him out of position in all of his games.

Hutchings will be the big improver
I agree. Now or never really if he wants to play full time midfield at AFL. Given he's had a decent preseason I wonder whether that's something that's been relayed to him in his chats with Simmo.

Expect him to play an inside role with a defensive mindset on guys like Kennedy/Selwood etc, with the occasional full time tagging role where required.

Starting to get into season 2018 now it's actually 2018, so have been thinking about this a bit.

Expect to see lecca have a much better year. He seemed to be really troubled by the hip injury- but he's still a very good footballer. Barring any new injury I would be very surprised if he doesn't play 20 games and kick 35 goals this year. Granted 32 will be Assisted by JK.

Touched on hutch in my post above, think he's set for a big year.

Really bullish in what DV can give us this year. Not expecting to see massive numbers but he's capable of playing on a HFF with bursts through the middle at this point. Reckon he plays 12-15 games and kicks about the same amount of goals. Will consistently be mistaken for shuey- but if anyone remembers his first couple of games i can see him with a similar impact.

NN- really don't want to push him into full ruck duties too soon- but him taking the centre bounces with spurts forward is what I expect rounds 1-15, later in the year I would think he might get the confidence back to build more match fitness. Even at full fitness he really only played 70-80% game time before- he's a burst player so I just expect that over time those bursts will increase and we see the freakish things come out again. Highlight of the year is seeing the big fella back on the field. Boy, he's been missed.

And lastly, not a player, but as for Optus stadium; expect our 1st 5-6 games at home to be 55k + before we settle into a nice groove of 45-48k per game. JK to kick the first goal. I suspect we win 8-9 out of our games this year there as we try to work out how best to play at the ground.

Show me someone somewhere who didnt think he was going to be some kind of saviour
I remember reading this over and over again in 2017 1-and it annoyed me.

2-Show me anyone anywhere who actually thought Partington was going to be a saviour of anything?

If was fever pitch to get him in the side because he was dominating WAFL whilst AFL players were underperforming and not being dropped. 3-Nobody actually expected him to come in and have a huge impact. Even more so when Simpson played him out of position in all of his games.
1-such a small thing to be annoyed over?
2- show me anyone anywhere who didn't?
3- ah, speaking for everyone I see...very noble. I think it's safe to say quite a few people had
great expectations and were hoping for some noticible impact, if not a huge impact.
many different people have many different opinions of the same event no doubt.
I recall some degree of a feverish groundswell, that almost appeared
to influence Simmos inclusion of Partington in the team. Partington WAS performing well in WAFL
but many players before him have performed well to be included in coming AFL games
but not all with such mounting public demand.
but that's just my recollection and I could be waaaaay wrong.

Last edited:
Nah. The groundswell of support surrounding Partington’s inclusion was just as much about the perception we never gave young players a chance as it was about Partingon’s form. Nobody was expecting him to come in and dominate, just contribute.

Exactly. If you expected a 2nd year, 2nd round draft pick to come in and dominate at the highest level, you're an idiot.
Well, you said it...
yes, agree with 'not giving young players a chance' at the time..
I didn't say 'to dominate' but it seemed they were hoping/expecting he would make a noticible impact.
I imagine many people thought and expected many different things from Partington
not just what you thought, or i thought..
and at the risk of being an idiot I am expecting some good things from younger players this season.
more so than last season.

Nah. The groundswell of support surrounding Partington’s inclusion was just as much about the perception we never gave young players a chance as it was about Partingon’s form. Nobody was expecting him to come in and dominate, just contribute.
Nail on the head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back