2018 Ruckman rankings

Who’s the best Ruckman of 2018

• Total voters

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just curious to see who people think will be the dominant Ruckman in 2018. I’ve added who I believe is the starting Ruckman for each side. There was a couple I struggled with, like the Dogs because I think there’s a good chance Boyd or even English could end up taking the mantle. Same with GC & the Cats. I can add players if someone emerges but I can’t remove them.

You can change your votes as the season progresses.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just curious to see who people think will be the dominant Ruckman in 2018. I’ve added who I believe is the starting Ruckman for each side. There was a couple I struggled with, like the Dogs because I think there’s a good chance Boyd or even English could end up taking the mantle. Same with GC & the Cats. I can add players if someone emerges but I can’t remove them.

You can change your votes as the season progresses.
I think you missed Martin. Not sure if you have doubled up another club somewhere.

Gawn is my tip for best ruckman this year.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Top 5 2017 went something like this:

1. Ryder
2. Kreuzer
3. McEvoy
4. Jacobs
5. Grundy

with previous No 1's Gawn and Naitanui injured (and Goldy having declined).

I predict 2018 could look something like:

1. Gawn
2. Kreuzer
3. Ryder
4. Naitanui
5. Jacobs/Grundy

This would be dependent on Gawn fully recapturing 2016 form, Kreuzer going to another level again (particularly around the ground), Naitanui to start slow before really hitting his straps and McEvoy dropping back closer to his mean.

With an improved midfield and his current athletic dominance, Ryder could also really take the No 1 mantle.

Pali23

All Australian
Nov 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Missed Longer for StKilda in saying that Hickey is the best back up ruckman in the AFL.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’ve added who I believe is the starting Ruckman for each side.
Longer was miles ahead of Hickey by the end of the season for us.

Our clearance work improved out of sight once Billy (who averaged the 2nd-most hitouts per game for the year) took over in R5.

Prior to that we were bottom 2 for both hitouts and clearances, but by the end of the year we'd worked our way up to 3rd in the comp for clearance differential, and much of that was due to Longer's ruckwork.

Hickey was excellent the year before, but that was with us going 3rd-up at the around-the-ground stoppages all game long, because he gets too easily outmuscled there. Once they banned going 3rd-up, he was in trouble.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Probably Gawn, but wouldnt surprise if Kruezer, Grundy, Natanui or Ryder were number 1. What happened to Goldstein, was Cox like for several years and just fell from the face of the earth last season

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably Gawn, but wouldnt surprise if Kruezer, Grundy, Natanui or Ryder were number 1. What happened to Goldstein, was Cox like for several years and just fell from the face of the earth last season
Not many rucks can stay at the top for long, most of the better ones seem to have around 2 AA years before falling off the cliff, it's not an easy gig.

Back