WRFL Division 3 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
3/4 of those kids would have gone to clubs that they can play at i the WRFL and therefore helped the league. Yes it would have hurt Point Cook but unfortunately that isn’t the league problem if they didn’t want to participate. I get you have a vested interest and I respect that but this wouldn’t happen in the EDFL

You can’t think they would all decide not too play at all can you?

The league needs to think about itself not helping the VAFA EDFL or GDFL. Its at a tipping point now.

You are so wrong about the EDFL. When Point Cook seniors were going to VAFA and WRFL wanted to kick junuors out, EDFL approached them to have their Juniors join the comp

You are so wrong about the EDFL. When Point Cook seniors were going to VAFA and WRFL wanted to kick junuors out, EDFL approached them to have their Juniors join the comp

Rubbish

Pegs and StBernards don’t play in the EDFL juniors because their seniors don’t and the EDFL won’t fold for them.

They may have approached Point Cook but I guarantee you the seniors were mentioned as part of the deal at some stage

Last edited:
Rubbish

Pegs and StBernards don’t play in the EDFL juniors because their seniors don’t and the EDFL won’t fold for them.

They may have approached Point Cook but I guarantee you the seniors were mentioned as part of the deal at some star

Can 100% confirm trucka's story. Might be a bit different when theres potential that you might not always be an amatuer club.

EDFL might just have shown some foresight which illuded the WRFL at the time.

Last edited:

Rubbish

They may have approached Point Cook but I guarantee you the seniors were mentioned as part of the deal at some stage

For someone who appears to know a lot you know absolutely nothing about this particular issue. Unless you were on the committee of PCFC at the time, then you would have no idea and I am damn sure you weren't because I WAS !!!!!

AND, there was no mention to bring Seniors as part of the deal

I always thought that it would be easier and less complicated to merge the WRFL, EDFL and the NFL into three Premier Divisions then three divisions each of the old leagues for less travel ie West, North, North East.
My plan would be to have the top four sides from each leagues top division put into the Premier League (last years results) and they would play each other twice for 22 games, then a top four finals system. No relegation, promotion for at least two years.
Premier
Greenvale
Aberfeldie
Maribyrnong Park
Strathmore
Deer Park
Spotswood
Sunshine
Hoppers Crossing
Macleod
Bundoora
Northcote Park
WP Lakeside
Premier 2
Greensborough
Heidelberg
Montmorency
Hurstbridge
Werribee Dist.
Altona
Albion
St Albans
Keilor
Ess. Doutta Stars
Pascoe Vale
Avondale Heights
Premier 3
Whittlesea
Eltham
Caroline Springs
Wyndhamvale
West Coburg
Craigieburn
Plus the two top sides from each of the Div 2 of the league
Nth Heidelberg
Diamond Creek
North Footscray
Yarraville seddon
Glenroy
Hillside

The rest of the sides would go into local area divisions.

I always thought that it would be easier and less complicated to merge the WRFL, EDFL and the NFL into three Premier Divisions then three divisions each of the old leagues for less travel ie West, North, North East.
My plan would be to have the top four sides from each leagues top division put into the Premier League (last years results) and they would play each other twice for 22 games, then a top four finals system. No relegation, promotion for at least two years.
Premier
Greenvale
Aberfeldie
Maribyrnong Park
Strathmore
Deer Park
Spotswood
Sunshine
Hoppers Crossing
Macleod
Bundoora
Northcote Park
WP Lakeside
Premier 2
Greensborough
Heidelberg
Montmorency
Hurstbridge
Werribee Dist.
Altona
Albion
St Albans
Keilor
Ess. Doutta Stars
Pascoe Vale
Avondale Heights
Premier 3
Whittlesea
Eltham
Caroline Springs
Wyndhamvale
West Coburg
Craigieburn
Nth Heidelberg
Diamond Creek
North Footscray
Yarraville seddon
Glenroy
Hillside

I understand where you are coming from with the concept but your example is another reason this would never come about. Keilor would beat certainly Spotswood Sunshine and Hoppers by 80+ and Deer Park convincingly . I can see what you’ve done but a bit more thought before pens put to paper would be good.

From that ideal back to the bottom division of the WRFL, looking forward to the season. Lot of pressure on Tarneit and the Suns this season, both clubs will be expecting to play off in the GF but I reckon they aren't that far ahead of the other sides.

I thought I read somewhere they came back for a few seasons and left again??
My bad if it's wrong.

Centrals seniors have never played in the WRFL since I've been around (late 80s). Centrals always had 18s play in the GDFL but formed their lower aged juniors about 2001 and had them play in the WRFL. No juniors before that.

Centrals seniors have never played in the WRFL since I've been around (late 80s). Centrals always had 18s play in the GDFL but formed their lower aged juniors about 2001 and had them play in the WRFL. No juniors before that.

Pretty sure Centrals played in the WSFL before the amalgation of the two leagues

I understand where you are coming from with the concept but your example is another reason this would never come about. Keilor would beat certainly Spotswood Sunshine and Hoppers by 80+ and Deer Park convincingly . I can see what you’ve done but a bit more thought before pens put to paper would be good.

It may not be the best model but it is the fairest to all the teams and all of the leagues, something that a lot of people are unaware of.
The premier leagues would sort themselves out after a few seasons and you'd see the cream rise to the top.
I don't really get into all the nitty gritty of what club is better or deserves something more than another, but I do like competiveness.

To make the new league work the clubs must be competitive and work to be in the Premier League and make it the best in Melbourne.

From that ideal back to the bottom division of the WRFL, looking forward to the season. Lot of pressure on Tarneit and the Suns this season, both clubs will be expecting to play off in the GF but I reckon they aren't that far ahead of the other sides.

Looks like there's been a fair bit of movement in the 3rd Division.

It may not be the best model but it is the fairest to all the teams and all of the leagues, something that a lot of people are unaware of.
The premier leagues would sort themselves out after a few seasons and you'd see the cream rise to the top.
I don't really get into all the nitty gritty of what club is better or deserves something more than another, but I do like competiveness.

To make the new league work the clubs must be competitive and work to be in the Premier League and make it the best in Melbourne.

Looks like there's been a fair bit of movement in the 3rd Division.
I get all that but you really think Keilor with their history and sustained success would be happy or should be playing Div 2 while the premiershipless Sunshine are in Div 1 ? Even for 1 year let alone 2 or more . Won’t work now or ever with that sort of thinking.

I get all that but you really think Keilor with their history and sustained success would be happy or should be playing Div 2 while the premiershipless Sunshine are in Div 1 ? Even for 1 year let alone 2 or more . Won’t work now or ever with that sort of thinking.

Mate this is just an example of where teams finished last season.
If it was to happen in say ten years time then i'm sure they would go with the top four over a period of the last 5 seasons or so.
So say Keilor finished 5th, 4th, 8th, 1st, 3rd and 4th they would beat out Strathmore who was 7th, 6th, 5th, 8th and 4th on average.

This is the way i'd do it, I'm sure there are plenty other options and many more suggestions.
Basically the top three divisions would be made up of what I posted previously, a fair and even number of teams from each of the three leagues. The other three or four divisions would be whatever they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate this is just an example of where teams finished last season.
If it was to happen in say ten years time then i'm sure they would go with the top four over a period of the last 5 seasons or so.
So say Keilor finished 5th, 4th, 8th, 1st, 3rd and 4th they would beat out Strathmore who was 7th, 6th, 5th, 8th and 4th on average.

This is the way i'd do it, I'm sure there are plenty other options and many more suggestions.
Basically the top three divisions would be made up of what I posted previously, a fair and even number of teams from each of the three leagues. The other three or four divisions would be whatever they want.
That is my precise point sir . The competitions are not even .

Premier
Greenvale
Aberfeldie
Maribyrnong Park
Strathmore
Deer Park
Spotswood
Sunshine
Hoppers Crossing
Macleod
Bundoora
Northcote Park
WP Lakeside
Premier 2
Greensborough
Heidelberg
Montmorency
Hurstbridge
Werribee Dist.
Altona
Albion
St Albans
Keilor
Ess. Doutta Stars
Pascoe Vale
Avondale Heights
Premier 3
Whittlesea
Eltham
Caroline Springs
Wyndhamvale
West Coburg
Craigieburn
Nth Heidelberg
Diamond Creek
North Footscray
Yarraville seddon
Glenroy
Hillside

Is this the new Turbo, This will never happen

Think

Think Centrals 1st Juniors were 16s in the GDFL ..1984 ish ..( Soldiers Reserve ).Then had 18s in the GDFL just after...then yes later on filled all juniors in WRFL.

Interesting article about Manor lakes getting their second oval. One comment from the Mayor of Wyndham since 2014 Wynham AFL sides have grown from 99 to 105 sides. So in essence we have seen Manor lakes, Tarneit, Suns(seniors), Sanctuary Lakes all be established recently but the growth is only 6 teams in 3 years. It goes back to a lot of previous posts all the introduction of the new clubs has done is take players off existing clubs, we aren't growing participation numbers at club level.

Interesting article about Manor lakes getting their second oval. One comment from the Mayor of Wyndham since 2014 Wynham AFL sides have grown from 99 to 105 sides. So in essence we have seen Manor lakes, Tarneit, Suns(seniors), Sanctuary Lakes all be established recently but the growth is only 6 teams in 3 years. It goes back to a lot of previous posts all the introduction of the new clubs has done is take players off existing clubs, we aren't growing participation numbers at club level.

In a way I think you are both right & wrong.
Wrong, in the fact that the clubs you mentioned above are from new estates and most of the kids playing for these teams, particularly lower age groups are new to the area, not coming from the established clubs.
However, when you consider above teams, and throw Point Cook into the mix who have grown by about 6 teams in last 3/4 years, then yes, you are correct in saying that the participation numbers overall at club level have not grown

Last edited:
In a way I think you are both right & wrong.
Wrong, in the fact that the clubs you mentioned above are from new estates and most of the kids playing for these teams, particularly lower age groups are new to the area, not coming from the established clubs.
However, when you consider above teams, and throw Point Cook into the mix who have grown by about 8 teams in last 3/4 years, then yes, you are correct in saying that the participation numbers overall at club level has not grown

Agree with what you are saying, the fact is we haven't grown participation despite massive population growth in Wyndham. If you can't get the growth at Junior levels where are senior players coming from in 5-10 years?

Both Manor Lakes and Sanctuary Lakes entered the WRFL in 2013 and both had some junior sides that year. So since 2014 only Tarneit and the Suns have joined.

Both Manor Lakes and Sanctuary Lakes entered the WRFL in 2013 and both had some junior sides that year. So since 2014 only Tarneit and the Suns have joined.

I think you are being a little picky claiming the 2 x lakes teams started in 2013 not 2014. Even if they did, they would have started with minimal teams and based on demographics should have grown both by more than 6 teams in 4 years

Most not taking into consideration the people moving into these areas. 2 out of 3 homes are from India, a non football (of any kind) playing culture.

The indian migration is not like the Europeans etc from times before. The indians that do take part in sport have created thier own cricket leagues to play all year round.

Good luck tapping into that market...

They dont even want to take part in established cricket leagues!

I think you are being a little picky claiming the 2 x lakes teams started in 2013 not 2014. Even if they did, they would have started with minimal teams and based on demographics should have grown both by more than 6 teams in 4 years

Wouldnt think im picky. You can pick and choose your statistics to make a point. From 2014 the growth looks ordinary, from 2013 with the 2 Lakes, the figures are probably ok.

Wouldnt think im picky. You can pick and choose your statistics to make a point. From 2014 the growth looks ordinary, from 2013 with the 2 Lakes, the figures are probably ok.

Therefore, you agree with Wickers18 & myself. If, as you are saying the growth in 2013 was probably OK, and in 2014 looked ordinary, then I would say that the growth in the game over the past 3 years has not been very good.

I agree with TT, the growth of the Indian population in Wyndham Council is not helping with the growth of AFL in the area.

The biggest issue this league has is the lack of numbers in U17/19s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back