2017/18 MLB Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Braves trade Kemp to Dodgers for McCarthy, Kazmir, Culberson and Gonzalez.

Basically the Dodgers wanted to get under the luxury tax for 2018 and the braves wanted to get rid of Kemp to open spot for Acuna in LF. Braves salary for 2018 increases but drops in 2019. Dodgers salary decreases in 2018 but increases in 2019 (they will try and offload Kemp to someone who will eat a bit of his salary)

Braves get a veteran arm in McCarthy and a utility man in Culberson. Gonzalez has already been released as agreed to waive is no-trade. Kazmir they don't expect much from but if healthy could be handy. Happy with the deal as a braves fan

The Rays have traded Even Longoria to the Giants. Silly move for both sides

Longoria still has 5 years and about $85m in salary. 32 and had a pretty average year. Players can bounce back I suppose, look at Zimmerman.

Still that’s a lot of money for a guy who hit way too many ground balls in his season.

TB have no real franchise stars and attendance is going to fall further. They might have to relocate at this rate.

Meanwhile SF, have helped their declining offence by getting: a third baseman in decline

Giants needed to make a splash and it'll be hard to get a high profile free agent after the season they just had, The Rays and Marlins are f***ed, not much they can do, no one watches baseball there for some reason.

Giants needed to make a splash and it'll be hard to get a high profile free agent after the season they just had, The Rays and Marlins are f***ed, not much they can do, no one watches baseball there for some reason.
Poor stadium in the Rays case and bad management in the Marlins would play apart although Florida seems a lot like the Gold Coast in that it’s a pretty transient population who probably follow other teams. Attendance in Florida for all of the major sports aren’t great

Poor stadium in the Rays case and bad management in the Marlins would play apart although Florida seems a lot like the Gold Coast in that it’s a pretty transient population who probably follow other teams. Attendance in Florida for all of the major sports aren’t great
Fernandez, Stanton, Yelich, Realmuto and Ozuna would've been a lot of fun.

It’s in the rule book that the DH is only used for the pitcher, not any infield (includes catcher) and outfield position. It has always been like that since the DH came into effect. Maybe in lower levels it can happen but not MLB.

“In Major League Baseball, the designated hitter is a hitter who does not play a position, but instead fills in the batting order for the pitcher. The DH may only be used for the pitcher (and not any other position player), as stated in Rule 5.11. Use of the DH is optional, but must be determined prior to the start of the game. If a team does not begin a game with a DH, the pitcher (or a pinch-hitter) must bat for the entire game.”

But once the DH takes a fielding position the pitcher assumes the batting position of the replaced fielder

Even with next year's (or rather this year's) FAs clubs are realising most FA contracts are liabilities in the long run and waiting for the prices to drop. Expect a frenzy leading up to Spring Training

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pirates got rinsed there even if Cole wasn't that great last year. Gave up lots of HRs in a pitchers park.
As for them repeating, they said that about the Cubs so...

cost is the same as last year, $112.99 US dollars, for every game

Great value for money for Baseball fans. I always go for the premium package myself and tbf $112.99 vs $87.49 (team package) isn’t much of a difference when you can watch your own team (Cubs) and whoever else you want (Trout, Ohtani, Harper etc) on a daily basis.

Where do y'all think the Astros rotation now stacks up with the rest of the league?

Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, McCullers, Morton............Peacock and McHugh the reserves, I'm obviously biased but I can't remember a rotation with more depth, McHugh was a stud a few years ago and can still peel off some great outings.

Great value for money for Baseball fans. I always go for the premium package myself and tbf $112.99 vs $87.49 (team package) isn’t much of a difference when you can watch your own team (Cubs) and whoever else you want (Trout, Ohtani, Harper etc) on a daily basis.

It’s outstanding considering the NFL went up to $A300 and on a new inferior platform

It’s outstanding considering the NFL went up to $A300 and on a new inferior platform

That is crazy for a 16 game competition. Aren’t a few of the games on FTA each week and all playoff games too? If so, that just decrease the value of such an expensive package.

Where do y'all think the Astros rotation now stacks up with the rest of the league?

Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, McCullers, Morton............Peacock and McHugh the reserves, I'm obviously biased but I can't remember a rotation with more depth, McHugh was a stud a few years ago and can still peel off some great outings.
Nationals 2015 rotation of Scherzer, Strasburg, Zimmermann, Roark, Fister, Gonzalez
World Series favourites they said

Probably not as good as the 2011 Phillies though

Jim Thome, Vlad Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman and Chipper Jones make the Hall of Fame. Jones and Thome were first-ballot entries.

Edgar Martinez was unlucky to miss out in his second last year on the ballot.

Jim Thome, Vlad Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman and Chipper Jones make the Hall of Fame. Jones and Thome were first-ballot entries.

Edgar Martinez was unlucky to miss out in his second last year on the ballot.

good inductions this year, Edgar should get in next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back