Draft Profile Nick Blakey [Academy prospect for Sydney]

Which club will Nick end up at?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you are suggesting that a kid whose father played AFL for more than 100 games at a club is restricted from accessing great coaching and development at an Academy. All other kids get to access the academy but not if you are a F/S. If the grapes taste that sour before Nick has even made a choice, I can't imagine what they will be like IF he chooses Sydney.

Also, do you count the two-year trading ban a leg up?

As a son of an ex-footballer and one whose Father is a coach at an AFL side, means you already have the inside running when it comes to exposure to AFL footy - You combine that with the programs run by F/S clubs, the footy development programs run by the AFL, possible membership of the AIS program, then you are ticking all the boxes.

As a son of an ex-footballer and one whose Father is a coach at an AFL side, means you already have the inside running when it comes to exposure to AFL footy - You combine that with the programs run by F/S clubs, the footy development programs run by the AFL, possible membership of the AIS program, then you are ticking all the boxes.

All discussion points that have been addressed, hashed and rehashed in numerous threads on the main D&T board over the last 24 months. If you went to one of those threads, you'd see these discussed.

In the meantime, wouldn't it be great if there could be a thread tracking Blakey's performance through his final U18 year (as there are for many of the rest of the prospects) that didn't get derailed by going over the same arguments again, and again, and again.

All discussion points that have been addressed, hashed and rehashed in numerous threads on the main D&T board over the last 24 months. If you went to one of those threads, you'd see these discussed.

In the meantime, wouldn't it be great if there could be a thread tracking Blakey's performance through his final U18 year (as there are for many of the rest of the prospects) that didn't get derailed by going over the same arguments again, and again, and again.

I agree Liz and I apologise for engaging in such arguments especially when it is obviously futile. Blakey seems like a good kid and I look forward to watching his progress. I notice that he considers himself a tall midfielder. At 196+ cm, he would be pretty unique if he could stay in the engine room.

This is probably not the thread but I'll go ahead - I'm of the view that F/S eligibility should trump Academy eligibility - Especially when you consider Academy players are recent inventions and who knows if this program will be around in five years.

You want a head start, fair dinkum, reckon you'd be expecting all finals to be played in Melbourne.

You want a head start, fair dinkum, reckon you'd be expecting all finals to be played in Melbourne.

What is the relevance of your post - The Academy System has only been around for a few years and may not continue forever, whether F/S will exist in perpetuity.

What is the relevance of your post - The Academy System has only been around for a few years and may not continue forever, whether F/S will exist in perpetuity.

Father son favours certain clubs over others, at least the Academy system develops the game:
The QBE Sydney Swans Academy is a ground-breaking training and development AFL program established in 2010. The Academy aims to bridge the talent gap between NSW and traditional AFL states such as Victorian and South Australia.
https://www.qbe.com.au/brokers/made-possible-by-qbe/qbe-sydney-swans-academy

You appear to acknowledge some clubs are new to the academy system, hands out for AFL funding and wanting/needing priority picks to do anything at all.

So lucky the Sydney academy is there to introduce kids like Nick to footy. That's why it is there isn't it? To help foster NSW talent.

No way he would ever have known about footy otherwise.

You want some salt to go with that?

I don't begrudge them the academy and with Mills I think it was who grew up in Newcastle it did its job.

But this is utterly against the spirit of the whole thing.

Fancy that, rejecting North? Been in coaching since 1995 not in Vic, a decision made long ago.

What are you babbling about?

Still don't get it.

The Blakey situation is one where live trading on draft night would be perfect.

He shouldn't be in the Swans Academy just coz his Dad coaches them. That's frogshit.

But he does live in Sydney and want to stay there.

So he rejects North and Brissy for f/s as his right and entirely understandable.

Then on draft night Sydney can trade with whichever team nabs him and pay fair market price if they really want him.

Works for all parties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still don't get it.

The Blakey situation is one where live trading on draft night would be perfect.

He shouldn't be in the Swans Academy just coz his Dad coaches them. That's frogshit.

But he does live in Sydney and want to stay there.

So he rejects North and Brissy for f/s as his right and entirely understandable.

Then on draft night Sydney can trade with whichever team nabs him and pay fair market price if they really want him.

Works for all parties.

Unless the team that picks him does not want to trade him, or are completely unreasonable in their trade demands.

Last edited:
Unless the team that picks him does not want to trade him, or are completely unreasonable in their trade demands.

Yep, then that's the risk. But then they'd be drafting a player who doesn't want to leave Sydney and unless it is GWS, it presents a significant flight risk to them.

The fight over claims on promising junior Nick Blakey is getting intense.

Blakey is the son of former North Melbourne and Fitzroy player John (pictured), and can choose either the Roos or Brisbane Lions as a father-son selection if he wants to, but he’s also eligible to nominate for Sydney as part of their AFL academy, and the Swans are currently in the box seat.

But North Melbourne aren’t lying down, putting together an approach to Blakey I’m told is very convincing, and that he’ll need to think twice about.

And I’m under the impression his father, currently head of coaching at the Swans, is thinking it wouldn’t be a bad move for the boy to get away from where the old man works and make his own name elsewhere.

Nick starred for the Swans Academy side on the weekend, kicking seven goals in a best on ground performance against the GWS Academy team.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/...aide-crows/12b175y1tz6ou1jiatbbzqg0sa/slide/4

The Swans Academy was set up by the Swans to grow the game in NSW because the AFL & VFL before it did nothing to promote the game to kids.

I'm sure you are well aware that in 2010 when QBE kicked the can - the whingers came out of their holes when the academy started producing a couple of good players - it has been an outstanding success & will continue to be so, until some AFL Head office knuckledragger wants to take it over.

& I'm sure you are well aware the WAFC has had that State zoned by WAFL for no gain to the local clubs & no doubt you are aware of the hullabooloo that has caused.

That the AFL & the Victorian clubs are new to Academies should not stop you acknowledging how much they contribute to growing the player pool - hopefully they will be around for some time.

The Swans Academy was set up by the Swans to grow the game in NSW because the AFL & VFL before it did nothing to promote the game to kids.

I'm sure you are well aware that in 2010 when QBE kicked the can - the whingers came out of their holes when the academy started producing a couple of good players - it has been an outstanding success & will continue to be so, until some AFL Head office knuckledragger wants to take it over.

& I'm sure you are well aware the WAFC has had that State zoned by WAFL for no gain to the local clubs & no doubt you are aware of the hullabooloo that has caused.

That the AFL & the Victorian clubs are new to Academies should not stop you acknowledging how much they contribute to growing the player pool - hopefully they will be around for some time.

Most supporters have no problem with the concept of the academies, the privileged access to that talent pool is everyone’s problem.

Bring back zones then, Victorian clubs can keep all the Victorian talent pool.

Sydney and QLD are then welcome to monopolize half of the countries population.

Most supporters have no problem with the concept of the academies, the privileged access to that talent pool is everyone’s problem.

Stupid comment. If the country was zoned then Vic talent would be split 10 ways whilst SA & WA would have half each club. The SA & WA clubs would be top four forever!

Whilst not perfect, the draft points and bidding system and the Next Gen academies has evened up the academy system. North gets a big bonus this year with Tarryn Thomas.

The WAFC & SANFL have developed talent for years & like the TAC all these guys (kids & mature age) they went into the draft - footy in non traditional markets needed positive action to increase the talent pool & grow local champions.
Imagine if Nick Reiwoldt had played his career in Brisbane, the kids of that era would have someone to aspire to be.

Footy in heartland areas does not need a leg up in the best interests of the game.

The WAFC & SANFL have developed talent for years & like the TAC all these guys (kids & mature age) they went into the draft - footy in non traditional markets needed positive action to increase the talent pool & grow local champions.
Imagine if Nick Reiwoldt had played his career in Brisbane, the kids of that era would have someone to aspire to be.

Footy in heartland areas does not need a leg up in the best interests of the game.
Brisbane had johnothan Brown and 3 Brownlow medallist and 3 premierships can't say they struggled for champions to look up to imo

Back