List Mgmt. Salary cap rules around retiring players?

Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Is anyone certain on what the rules are with respect to the salary cap when a player retires? My understanding was that when Bradshaw retired we negotiated a payout with him but his full salary was still included in our cap a couple of years after he retired and this seemed to be what was indicated by the AFL in regards to Franklin also - regardless of what happened his $10m would be included in our cap for 9 years.

So, we wouldn't pay Tippett's full contract but there would not be any extra cap space?

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Is anyone certain on what the rules are with respect to the salary cap when a player retires? My understanding was that when Bradshaw retired we negotiated a payout with him but his full salary was still included in our cap a couple of years after he retired and this seemed to be what was indicated by the AFL in regards to Franklin also - regardless of what happened his $10m would be included in our cap for 9 years.

I'm pretty sure you're correct.

Not sure what happens in regards to the salary cap but it seems as though in the Buddy case and Ty Vickery's retirement from Hawthorn, the salary cap needs to be included in the event of an early retirement because of the free agency rules and there are compensation picks involved.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/56fc77cb474a66e7723c01df151ae8b8

If I'm reading it correctly I guess it wouldn't apply in Tippett's case as his deal was a contract extension.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure what happens in regards to the salary cap but it seems as though in the Buddy case and Ty Vickery's retirement from Hawthorn, the salary cap needs to be included in the event of an early retirement because of the free agency rules and there are compensation picks involved.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/56fc77cb474a66e7723c01df151ae8b8

If I'm reading it correctly I guess it wouldn't apply in Tippett's case as his deal was a contract extension.
I thought it was all AFL contracts which had to be counted towards the salary cap after retirement but after reading that it appears the because we didn't sign Tippo as a free agent his contract wont count towards our salary cap.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades

If we go by Fitzpatrick's comment when we recruited Buddy, that his contract would continue to be in our salary cap for the entire 9 years even if he got run over by a bus in his first year. It will depend on how the Swans are going to pay him out. I wouldn't bank on the fact that we will have too much extra cap space because of this retirement.
I still find it dumbfounding that he had been resigned until the end of 2020.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Splitting this off to a new thread as a number of people have been asking, and I wasn't sure of the answer myself. I found this in relation to Bradshaw's contract in an old Buddy thread. I'd assumed the same would apply to Tippett, but I'm not sure if the fact that Tippett's last deal was a contract extension makes any difference.

robbieando ?

Basically if he can't play the last 3 years of his contract, those 3 years must be included in the salary cap of the final year he is included on our list. So the classic example for us would be Daniel Bradshaw who retired with one year left on his contract at the end of 2011, his 2012 salary was included in the 2011 Salary Cap and not the Salary Cap of 2012 as some believe as he was not a 2012 listed player.

Source: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ur-clubs-history.1035460/page-2#post-30425626

Last edited:

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Splitting this off to a new thread as a number of people have been asking, and I wasn't sure of the answer myself. I found this in relation to Bradshaw's contract in an old Buddy thread. I'd assumed the same would apply to Tippett, but I'm not sure if the fact that Tippett's last deal was a contract extension makes any difference.

robbieando ?

Source: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ur-clubs-history.1035460/page-2#post-30425626
Surely if you are putting players future contract figures into previous or current year caps, you will then be over in the year it goes into.

Note the use of the phrase "huge cap relief".

Expecting to be dragged through the mud in a trial via media yet again re: this. Just like every single other time since 2012 when (god forbid) we get any kind of concession, player, pick, positive outcome... It's obviously yet another "unfair advantage" that we are "rorting"...

Note the use of the phrase "huge cap relief".

Expecting to be dragged through the mud in a trial via media yet again re: this. Just like every single other time since 2012 when (god forbid) we get any kind of concession, player, pick, positive outcome... It's obviously yet another "unfair advantage" that we are "rorting"...

Dont give a rats what the meddja say or oppo campaigners. I will be delighted if we get salary cap relief.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Get Blakey and resign Lloyd, that would be a great result with Kurt moving on

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

robbieando ?

Rules have changed since then but my reading of the current CBA means that difference between his remaining contract and his injury settlement with the AFL/Club is what gets included in the Cap this year (not a huge difference as it was an injury picked up while playing). As he limped though the NEAFL Grand Final he gets 100% of Senior Match payments for all Matches missed up to a maximum of 30 Matches as well.

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
What about getting a refund from the player? ;)

I rang him.

He tried to sell me a bakers dozen of frozen pies.

I was extremely interested in the pies and forgot to ask vis a vis a refund of the $3 million or so.

Sorry - they sounded like really nice pies.

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
f8cddeedc1d52537fef2f7a4477351a6

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/f9d9a94c8540b7746b6fc77b5abd85fe

Because the ankle reconstruction Tippett had in October wasn’t a career-ending injury, Swans football manager Tom Harley has been able to negotiate a reduced figure on his payout.

“We won’t have to carry his salary for the full term of his three years remaining,” Harley told SEN radio.

“He was contracted for three years prior to that so it certainly won’t be that.”

Had it been a career-ending injury, Sydney would have been forced to pay Tippett the full amount of his contract over the next three years.

“Injuries have played a part in his decision,” Harley said.

“He had a full ankle reconstruction last year. There are strict definitions around what constitutes career-ending injuries. It means you aren’t able to play and that isn’t what’s happened to Kurt.”

will count in the cap this year and you will get the relief next season same s**t with us and yarran last year
Happy with this as his contract this season was a sunk cost anyway and all the transactions (draft, FA, upgrades etc) are over until after the season

Back