2017/18 Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

The Scorchers are the masters of tempo and timing again.

Watched the game with my brother, after we lost a couple of early wickets in the chase he was thinking it was all going pear-shaped. I said they just need to bat into the 15th over with wickets in hand and about 110 on the board and they should go very close. Which is pretty much what happened. They know how to bat "sensibly" (for T20 cricket) and put on a good partnership to build a platform for the last 5 overs. This is exactly where the Heat and the Stars fail so badly this year - panic sets in and they lose a clatter of wickets. JL has got the Scorchers batsmen in just the right frame of mind to handle the situation without going into panic mode.

Watched the game with my brother, after we lost a couple of early wickets in the chase he was thinking it was all going pear-shaped. I said they just need to bat into the 15th over with wickets in hand and about 110 on the board and they should go very close. Which is pretty much what happened. They know how to bat "sensibly" (for T20 cricket) and put on a good partnership to build a platform for the last 5 overs. This is exactly where the Heat and the Stars fail so badly this year - panic sets in and they lose a clatter of wickets. JL has got the Scorchers batsmen in just the right frame of mind to handle the situation without going into panic mode.

Whilst I agree with you that it is better than other teams in the comp I thought the Bancroft, Cartwright and particularly Voges wickets were unnecessary and were brought about by batsmen taking risks they didn’t need to.

I honestly think the big difference is the amount of twos the scorchers get. Almost everyone apart from Voges (Turner, Agar and Cartwright seem to be particularly quick) are very quick between the wickets allowing us to often get 7-10 an over with little risk, sometimes without even hitting a boundary.

Boof needs to be replaced with Langer as coach of the one day team.

Pretty disappointing that the Perth ODI will be a dead-rubber but I gotta say, after seeing the photos of the new stadium floating about today my enthusiasm hasn't waned in the slightest. It's a little sad because they were a big part of my childhood but one-dayers are all a bit meh these days, world cup excepted

Pretty disappointing that the Perth ODI will be a dead-rubber but I gotta say, after seeing the photos of the new stadium floating about today my enthusiasm hasn't waned in the slightest. It's a little sad because they were a big part of my childhood but one-dayers are all a bit meh these days, world cup excepted

With all due respect to England (who look like they have put a lot of effort to gear up for the World Cup), internationally they should scrap ODIs except for the world cup, special exhibition games and just let tests, domestic T20 competitions and rest time for bowlers take it's place.

BTW Torz were you on 720 a couple days back talking about Jhye? Sorry if it was already mentioned but I thought you spoke very well, not that easy to sound relaxed and confident on radio.

Yeah, it was. Thanks mate. Was pretty nervous about doing it, but thought I'd have a crack.

Channelled my BigFooty podcast days. ;)

It is funny but as I have said to my son several times this year, I feel that as long as Turner is in the Scorchers will get the target (might have to add Agar to that).

I think Agar is a automatic loss to the Aussie T20 team but if we lose Turner as well something will be thrown at the tv.

T20 SQUAD: David Warner (c), Aaron Finch (vc), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Ben Swarshuis, Travis Head, Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa.

So we lose Agar and Tye, but gain Mmarsh and Richardson (and hopefully Smarsh).

So no Smith and Maxwell gets picked... maybe there is something to those rumours of them not getting along.

T20 SQUAD: David Warner (c), Aaron Finch (vc), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Ben Swarshuis, Travis Head, Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa.

So we lose Agar and Tye, but gain Mmarsh and Richardson (and hopefully Smarsh).
Scorchers have dodged a bullet there really, surprised Turner didn’t get picked.

Probably should see something like this
Klinger
S.Marsh
Bancroft
Cartwright
M.Marsh
Turner
Bresnan/spinner (Muirhead? Morton?)
Kelly
Richardson
Paris
Johnson

would probably end up like this though
Klinger
S.Marsh
Bancroft/Cartwright
M.Marsh
Turner
Voges
Bresnan
Kelly/spinner
Richardson
Paris
Johnson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to keep Kelly in the team over playing an average spinner, even if he could play ahead of Bresnan that would be fine too.

Kelly has been better than all our quicks bar Johnson when he’s played. He should stay in unless he has to return to supplement list. I believe he has been upgraded to cover Tye so if right that isn’t the case.

It’d be great if we could replace Bresnan with a spinner right now if I’m perfectly honest. I wonder what Moeen Ali has planned when the ODI series is over given he’s not in their T20 squad.

So no Smith and Maxwell gets picked... maybe there is something to those rumours of them not getting along.
I would have picked Maxwell but people are carrying on like he's Satchin Tendulkar. One day form had been ordinary for awhile.

He's not that unlucky to miss out on the Test and One Day team.

Although mind you a dud like Cam White getting a run over him is a bit ordinary.

If it was just Smith who had issues with Maxwell I would expect Smith to be professional enough to include him in teams when he warranted selection. The latest muttering going around about the situation is that Smith is far from the only person who doesn’t want to see Maxwell anywhere near the side. Only one member of the test squad is in the Twenty20 squad. If it’s true that it’s more than Smith who has a problem with him then it is more than likely Maxwell’s problem rather than Smith’s.

That being said this may all be crap - even the Smith bit. Facts are that if he was in the top 5-8 players in the country he’d make it almost impossible not to pick him. That’s not the case and there’s actually a solid argument saying he could be getting left out on form alone - even in T20s it’s hard to see a spot for him with all the test players available if I’m to be honest. His BBL form certainly isn’t better than what you’d expect from a national team player like Smith or Warner and is behind many others in the BBL, some of which were not selected.

Kelly has been better than all our quicks bar Johnson when he’s played. He should stay in unless he has to return to supplement list. I believe he has been upgraded to cover Tye so if right that isn’t the case.

It’d be great if we could replace Bresnan with a spinner right now if I’m perfectly honest. I wonder what Moeen Ali has planned when the ODI series is over given he’s not in their T20 squad.

Bresnan - great bloke, dud has-been bowler. Makes me want to poke my eyes out with burning hot skewers when Voges chucks him the ball. Not sure Ali is the answer but he'd have to be better than Bresnan.

Bresnan - great bloke, dud has-been bowler. Makes me want to poke my eyes out with burning hot skewers when Voges chucks him the ball. Not sure Ali is the answer but he'd have to be better than Bresnan.

Agree on Ali but I don’t know who else would come to Australia for a week - maybe even one game. The bloke who’s already here and is playing limited overs cricket in our conditions seems ok to me even if I’d chose someone different if I was trying to find an overseas player for a whole season.

I would have picked Maxwell but people are carrying on like he's Satchin Tendulkar. One day form had been ordinary for awhile.

He's not that unlucky to miss out on the Test and One Day team.

Although mind you a dud like Cam White getting a run over him is a bit ordinary.

Maxwell was the leading run scorer in the Sheffield Shield at the time the Ashes team was picked but the selectors went with S. Marsh and he nailed his spot so no room for Maxwell once that happened.

His BBL form has been average and not anything to demand he be picked to play 20/20 or 50 over cricket for the national team. However he would be a better bet than Cameron White who is a very average player at ODI level as you point out.

Almost surprised Maxwell is in the T20 side tbh. There’s three or four other players who deserve the opportunity more. Having said that Ashton Turner’s name is probably at the top of that list and I’d prefer him playing for the scorchers given I don’t really care too much for international Twenty20 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back