Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, though, it's all hindsight. If we start judging a deal based on someone we drafted a year after the deal was made, we're being really harsh. With the benefit of hindsight, knowing we were signing Buddy and drafting Nankervis, there's no way we'd have signed Tippett.

If we didn't land either of those, Tippett could have been much more important for us than he turned out to be. If he never had to be thrust into the ruck, perhaps he wouldn't have had the same rotten luck with injuries. Who knows? Easy to look back and judge now. It was a gamble (but what major signing isn't?), and to the fault of nothing but luck, really, it failed big time. We don't usually fail when it comes to recruiting, so that's probably why this one stings so much.
We would all be multi millionaires with the pre wisdom of hindsight. It probably is BECAUSE of the signing of Buddy a year later that Tippett really lost his role in the team and was forced to do ruckwork with Mumford's departure. It seemed a wonderful combination at the start of 2014 but was just never to be. If we had won either of the 14 or 16 flags, I think everyone's opinions would be so different to what they are now.

We would all be multi millionaires with the pre wisdom of hindsight. It probably is BECAUSE of the signing of Buddy a year later that Tippett really lost his role in the team and was forced to do ruckwork with Mumford's departure. It seemed a wonderful combination at the start of 2014 but was just never to be. If we had won either of the 14 or 16 flags, I think everyone's opinions would be so different to what they are now.
Yeah. Players like Tippett and Franklin help you get to Grand Finals, but it doesn't make a difference if the team shits the bed (2014) or seemingly everything goes against you (2016) on the day.

Wow, what a massive dose of hindsight being used on here. Why not visit the threads from trade period 2012 when every single Swans person on both sites was very buoyant about getting Tippett.

Tippett has been cruelled with injury, not his fault, and has manfully played when he probably shouldn't have been playing because we needed him.

I'm sad it's ended this way for him and us but I'm certain that like most "managed" retirements there is a positive result financial result for the club, Tippett after all doesn't have to front up for training 9 months a year, nor play the games. Unlike Buddy's contract that the AFL will nail us with to the last $ because it was knocking Hawthorn out of matching as a RFA, Tippetts contract can be renegotiated and those agreed amounts will be in our salary cap. Overall we'll be better off cap wise.

I always wonder why it is that players seem to be able to retire (or walk away from a club) yet expect their contracts to be paid out. I can understand it so some extent if the retirement is due to an injury sustained as a result of playing and/or training. In a working environment it would be the same as being paid by workcover (which would be a lot less than your normal salary).
But for those who just put up their hands and say "No, I don't have the passion to play anymore" or similar excuses, I see no reason why they should be paid ANY of their remaining contract.
Surely a contract is a two way street. The club says we will pay you $x and you will do "y" in order to receive that payment. "y" would be to train to a level expected of an AFL footballer and play when selected to do so. If YOU, make the decision that you don't want to do "y" than why shold you receive any $x?

Anyone else remember the 2015 QF? I genuinely thought Tippo and JPK were going to carry us to victory that day. Both had to do it almost single-handedly with Buddy out and Reid going down early, and Kizza and Parker out. Against a Dockers outfit who had the added benefit of resting their players the week before too.

Not sure about anyone else, but looking back, that goes down as one of the bravest Swans performances I've seen. Would have been one of the great finals upsets had we kicked more accurately.

“It’s really tough to leave a game and a club which I really love, but the reality is that my body isn’t going to stand up to the rigors of professional football. As I've found out in the past 18 months or so, it's impossible to play at the level you want without being fully fit,” Tippett said.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-01-22/tippett-announces-retirement

Tippett was in AA form going into round 11 in 2016, but when he got injured, it looks like he did more damage than we as fans thought. He did not come back right at the back end of the 2016 season and in 2017 he was poor. We can't really blame Tippett for having a bad 18 months since he was clearly injured.

Also while others on the main board disagree, overall I thought Tippett was a damaging player, and played a lot of really good games between 2013 and 2016.

He’ll be remembered for his bravery for coming back from those career-threatening concussions he suffered in his *final* season with us. Fortunately that issue never really recurred during his time at the Swans...

I think we can all agree there. It may have been a sign of toughness years ago, but these days it is just scary when a player gets several concussions.

He probably cost us Mitchell and any FA that we were trying to sign this off season. So no sympathy here.

But all I've heard was that it was never money for Mitchell but that he thought Horse was a flog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to know what happens with finances?!

Will his salary, regardless of whether we pay it or not have to count to our salary cap for the duration of his contract regardless of his retirement?!

Doesn't say a lot for Horse's judgement, does it?

Not really. Think of how long all of us were screaming for Mitchell to be put in the team when he was getting 50 disposals in the NEAFL, and Longmire wouldn't put him in, and then when Mitchell did get in he usually got the 3rd or 4th midfielder role. Even in 2016 Mitchell was not really put in the rover position much, instead Longmire choosing to keep Kennedy there for most of the game.

Wow, what a massive dose of hindsight being used on here. Why not visit the threads from trade period 2012 when every single Swans person on both sites was very buoyant about getting Tippett.

Tippett has been cruelled with injury, not his fault, and has manfully played when he probably shouldn't have been playing because we needed him.

I'm sad it's ended this way for him and us but I'm certain that like most "managed" retirements there is a positive result financial result for the club, Tippett after all doesn't have to front up for training 9 months a year, nor play the games. Unlike Buddy's contract that the AFL will nail us with to the last $ because it was knocking Hawthorn out of matching as a RFA, Tippetts contract can be renegotiated and those agreed amounts will be in our salary cap. Overall we'll be better off cap wise.

His 2018 salary will be included in this years cap, as he has retired due to injury the remaining salary won't be included in the cap for 2019 & 2020. Think he has been offered a role with the club post retirement. We will be better off cap wise, but not this year.

His 2018 salary will be included in this years cap, as he has retired due to injury the remaining salary won't be included in the cap for 2019 & 2020. Think he has been offered a role with the club post retirement. We will be better off cap wise, but not this year.

Well this year does not matter too much as the cap was well and truly set by now anyway.

In not a fan of Tippett but he was our best ruckman for 3-4 years, when fit and playing.

If his wage is is out of the cap, and so if Mcveigh is also retiring at the end of 2018, when does Rory Sloane arrive. Crows player replacing a Crows player.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back