Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this stage looking very strong in the first round with a gradual drop (like every draft) but nowhere near as bad as the depth of this draft was. I think Rankine or Lukosious are pick 1 favourites depending on who finishes last (If Gold Coast finish last and Lynch leaves, Lukosious goes 1. If North/Brisbane/Carlton finish last Rankine goes pick 1). Still a few players I see really bolting up the order with this season coming being their spotlight year, guys like Issac Quaynor and Bailey Smith come to mind

If we get 1 I think we take Lukosious - we get Thomas at years end and after adding LDU this year I think we go tall. Brown and Lukosious would be a fair duo going forward.

We are also a good chance to get Scott and small chance to get Blakely as well.

The 2018 draft could really kick start our re-build.

Block 1:
Crows(4)
Lions(2)
Carl(1)
Coll(3)

Block 2:
Ess(6)
Freo(5)
Cats(8)
Haw(7)

Block 3:
Melb(9)
Nth(10)
Port(11)
Rich.(12)

Block 4
Stk(16)
Syd(13)
Dogs(15)
Eagles.(14)

Now the AFL want the draft live.Why not have it live and each block get a number 1-4 etc(). A live lotto.Sides then can trade with clubs knowing beforehand roughly who,s got what.
Going on this year Crows finish 2nd and get the bonus of having a top 4 pick.In essence this system not only gets rid of tanking but rewards performers as well.Might be harsh for the likes in block 4 but their golden eggs will be the following year when they go to the top 4 block.

This only applies to rnd 1 of the draft.
Beyond rnd 1 it reverts back to the ladder positions.

A basic premise of the draft is to assist struggling teams.

Bringing a greater element of chance in to the equation simply undermines that premise.

Block 1:
Crows(4)
Lions(2)
Carl(1)
Coll(3)

Block 2:
Ess(6)
Freo(5)
Cats(8)
Haw(7)

Block 3:
Melb(9)
Nth(10)
Port(11)
Rich.(12)

Block 4
Stk(16)
Syd(13)
Dogs(15)
Eagles.(14)

Now the AFL want the draft live.Why not have it live and each block get a number 1-4 etc(). A live lotto.Sides then can trade with clubs knowing beforehand roughly who,s got what.
Going on this year Crows finish 2nd and get the bonus of having a top 4 pick.In essence this system not only gets rid of tanking but rewards performers as well.Might be harsh for the likes in block 4 but their golden eggs will be the following year when they go to the top 4 block.

This only applies to rnd 1 of the draft.
Beyond rnd 1 it reverts back to the ladder positions.

Right so the Crows could have picked up Raynor if this started last year?

We have just come off one of the most even years I can remember - have 13 or 14 teams a realistic chance of playing finals this year and the last two flags have gone to teams that have recently finished in the bottom 6 and you want to change the draft?? Something that is clearly working and has the comp very even? 18th defeated 7th, 16th defeated 4th and 15th defeated 1st last year. The draft is working.

Tanking is not an issue - if tanking was we wouldn't have thump Brisbane in round 23. We went from pick 1 with a loss to pick 4 with a win.

Astonishing endurance runner - not widely mentioned here, or on any AFL Draft media.......yet.

Could well break the 2k combine record in October.

Still has a great balance of speed and endurance....and football ability.

ah cool. yeh i agree, i wrote in the sub-forum that he's someone who i think could go top 10 that isn't being talked about much.

Astonishing endurance runner - not widely mentioned here, or on any AFL Draft media.......yet.

Could well break the 2k combine record in October.

Still has a great balance of speed and endurance....and football ability.

I have mentioned him a few times, he is a star.

Is he a private school boy?

A basic premise of the draft is to assist struggling teams.

Bringing a greater element of chance in to the equation simply undermines that premise.

Could not agree more. Imagine the lions get pick 18 and the Crows pick 1. Tanking is not an issue and teams that tank pay a price. It's not worth the losing culture it creates.

You do realise that nobody really give a rats what you post , The village is still looking for you

Now - You play with your friends and let the adults be

Don't EVER assume that you speak for me. I don't rate your opinions whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re entitled not to rate his opinions, but I sincerely hope he is right on this one. 6 year old is the new Benjamin Button. Probably tracking as a 4 year old now.

You’re entitled not to rate his opinions, but I sincerely hope he is right on this one. 6 year old is the new Benjamin Button. Probably tracking as a 4 year old now.

Fair enough, but one of my internet pet hates is someone that needs to make false declarations that they are speaking on behalf of everyone.

Could not agree more. Imagine the lions get pick 18 and the Crows pick 1. Tanking is not an issue and teams that tank pay a price. It's not worth the losing culture it creates.

You have to admit though; Its an odd thing, when your reward for being the best player in it the land, is to go to the worst team in the land. :)

With the ability to live trade now, there shouldn't be as much an issue any more.

The race for Rankine is on

Lions vs north, the runner up prize in Sam Walsh is still good though if you want a mid

Think we would just take best available so Rankine or Lukosius

Before the race for Rankine is run both the Roos & Brisbane have another race for a top 20 Father / Son player in Nick Blakey (although the Swans are in this race as well because of their academy)

this is what Knightmare posted on ESPN in 2017 - http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/21565075/knightmare-top-20-afl-draft-prospects-2018
(refer some of the players he listed below)

"Nick Blakey
Son of John Blakey. Eligible to be selected by North Melbourne or Brisbane as a father-son selection or Sydney as an Academy selection. Blakey is a tall, athletic utility at 194cm who likely develops into a key forward. Starred for Sydney during division two of the Under-18 Championships".

The Roos then also have to consider the other 2 top 20 players that that Knightmare mentioned they can pick up:-

"Bailey Scott
Son of Robert Scott and eligible as a father-son selection for Geelong and North Melbourne. Also eligible as an academy prospect for Gold Coast. Utility who can win the ball through the midfield, provide a target up front and hit the scoreboard or provide drive off half-back.

and

Tarryn Thomas
Highly touted Tasmanian who is part of the North Melbourne Next Generation Academy. Lightly bodied but explosive line-breaker who takes on the game at every opportunity. Shows a strong commitment to pressuring the ball carrier and laying tackles.

For interest Bailey Scott is one of 4 father sons for Geelong this year and Geelong have a 1st round pick 2 x 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick (so far only) so it will be interesting to see what they do

I suspect their will be a few more Academy players that will come out of Brisbane Academy which may affect their total draft points in the 2018 draft (as they for the last couple of years have drafted about 2)

the other things I am interested in is where people think that Fletchers son will be picked up for Essendon ? and
if Brisbane will try and get "Thomas Berry" brother of Jarrod to stop any possible home sickness for Jarrod ? and
if the Dogs will use their first round pick on father son pick:-

"Rhylee West
Son of Scott, eligible as a Western Bulldogs father-son prospect. Possesses a strong body already and is a good contested ball-winner through the midfield. A reliable ball user and also able to push forward".

Before the race for Rankine is run both the Roos & Brisbane have another race for a top 20 Father / Son player in Nick Blakey (although the Swans are in this race as well because of their academy)

this is what Knightmare posted on ESPN in 2017 - http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/21565075/knightmare-top-20-afl-draft-prospects-2018

"Nick Blakey
Son of John Blakey. Eligible to be selected by North Melbourne or Brisbane as a father-son selection or Sydney as an Academy selection. Blakey is a tall, athletic utility at 194cm who likely develops into a key forward. Starred for Sydney during division two of the Under-18 Championships".

The Roos then also have to consider the other 2 top 20 players that that Knightmare mentioned they can pick up:-

"Bailey Scott
Son of Robert Scott and eligible as a father-son selection for Geelong and North Melbourne. Also eligible as an academy prospect for Gold Coast. Utility who can win the ball through the midfield, provide a target up front and hit the scoreboard or provide drive off half-back.

and

Tarryn Thomas
Highly touted Tasmanian who is part of the North Melbourne Next Generation Academy. Lightly bodied but explosive line-breaker who takes on the game at every opportunity. Shows a strong commitment to pressuring the ball carrier and laying tackles.

For interest Bailey Scott is one of 4 father sons for Geelong this year and Geelong have a 1st round pick 2 x 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick (so far only) so it will be interesting to see what they do

I suspect their will be a few more Academy players that will come out of Brisbane Academy which may affect their total draft points in the 2018 draft (as they for the last couple of years have drafted about 2)

the other things I am interested in is where people think that Fletchers son will be picked up for Essendon ? and
if Brisbane will try and get "Thomas Berry" brother of Jarrod to stop any possible home sickness for Jarrod ? and

"Rhylee West
Son of Scott, eligible as a Western Bulldogs father-son prospect. Possesses a strong body already and is a good contested ball-winner through the midfield. A reliable ball user and also able to push forward".

We feel that the most likely outcome is Pick 3-7, Thomas, Scott and another later selection or our other father son in Joel Crocker.

We have 2 third rounders instead of 1, so have a few more points up our sleeve.

Personally I'd love us to maximise this draft so there is the potential that our second rounder is early enough and Thomas and Scott get bid on shorty after. Wishful thinking but this is a "super draft" and all.

"Nick Blakey

"Bailey Scott

and

Tarryn Thomas

"Rhylee West

Blakey is going to nominate Sydney.

Scott & Thomas will nominate North.

Jack Lokisius is the one I really like in the 2018 pool. Watched some of his bottom age champs games in 2017 and caught some of his debut senior game for Woodville on replay.

Really impressed me with his work rate, a trait I like in CHF's is players that push high up the wings and work back inside 50 like Nick Riewoldt did.

Still some filling out to do but ticks a lot of boxes for me. Shame that West Coast are probably in no position to draft him.

LOL Mate i think 90% on this board dont rate your opinion but that doesnt stop you from what you do and making a fool of yourself with all the outrages claims you have made.

Dont know how you can continue still

But i suppose 6 year old and you must have alot in common

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back