Society & Culture January 26

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m more centre left then centre right. But the Aus Day change the date movement I’m not totally comfortable with. Have no issue with triple j moving their date out of respect for the first Australians, as it was the wish of their listeners. I’d probably voted that way too.

But my issue in changing Australia Day is there is no such thing as a ‘unifying date’. Only thing I could think would be the date Mabo was handed down. Despite the scare mongering at the time, it was a historic moment where the title rights of all Australians was recognised. Legit question; would those opposing Aus Day accept the mabo date?

Cool. So no solution then. Play your cards right and you could get a gig with the Greens. Professional whinger.

Give me a spell. Don’t have a national “day of celebration” on a day that is offensive to some of the nation. It’s not *in rocket science.

If you have to have one on another day that isn’t offensive to anybody, I couldn’t give a s**t. I don’t need to come up with whatever half-logical idea of which day it should be.

Give me a spell. Don’t have a national “day of celebration” on a day that is offensive to some of the nation. It’s not ****in rocket science.

If you have to have one on another day that isn’t offensive to anybody, I couldn’t give a s**t. I don’t need to come up with whatever half-logical idea of which day it should be.
Cool. So no solution then. Play your cards right and you could get a gig with the Greens. Professional whinger.

I’m more centre left then centre right. But the Aus Day change the date movement I’m not totally comfortable with. Have no issue with triple j moving their date out of respect for the first Australians, as it was the wish of their listeners. I’d probably voted that way too.

But my issue in changing Australia Day is there is no such thing as a ‘unifying date’. Only thing I could think would be the date Mabo was handed down. Despite the scare mongering at the time, it was a historic moment where the title rights of all Australians was recognised. Legit question; would those opposing Aus Day accept the mabo date?

Except that day really changed nothing. Though it did make lawyers and rich Aborigines richer.

I don’t really get the day of celebration thing. Since when is it a day of celebration? Since 10 years ago when people for some reason started putting plastic flags on their cars? It’s just a day off.

Cronulla springs to mind for me, even though I don't even know if that was on Australia Day or not. I just remember it being all the reasons it is sometimes embarrassing to be Australian put on display.

The Cronulla Riots were in December and nothing to do with Australia Day.

I don't know about other states but the Australia Day fireworks on the Swan River have been an annual thing since 1985. It attracts dickheads, but so do most events.

When ever you see those big organised Australia Day Events, the people whom it seems to mean the most to are recently or relatively recently arrived migrants.

Yep, it's a big day for citizenship ceremonies. But all of those newly arrived migrants are invaders.

Its quite simple really.
6 November - why?

This was the date of the Australian republic referendum held back in 1999.
OK OK, the referendum lost BUT that is what makes it genius.

How Aussie for the national day to be on the date that we as Australians didn't vote to become a republic?

Its quite simple really.
6 November - why?

How Aussie for the national day to be on the date that we as Australians didn't vote to become a republic?

We do celebrate ANZAC Day, we lost that one too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is were celebrating the start of a deliberet calculated genocide

If you support Australia day then you're the modern day equilivant of a Nazi

I have no energy to care about the feelings if nazis

What's the deal with Corey Bernardi having a top 100? Is that a thing now, fringe pollies producing playlists?
Triple J moving their countdown is such a big deal to pollies and their followers who never listen to the station.

What's the deal with Corey Bernardi having a top 100? Is that a thing now, fringe pollies producing playlists?

Publicity stunt to gain the affection of bogans who are outraged that a radio station they don't listen to changed the date of a countdown they do nothing but complain about.

Its quite simple really.
6 November - why?

Backs onto Cup Day nicely.
Sold.

Seriously though, i don't get why anyone is so attached to a date.
Opposition to moving the date is stubbornness borne out of resentment that someone is getting their way and you have to remember a different date.
Not sure what happened to the notion of not being a dick for the sake of it in this country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back