Kurt Tippett retires due to injury and fitness concerns.

Feb 26, 2007
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He never said he was leaving for flags though. Of course he wanted to be in contention, but he was not leaving the Hawks because he thought his chances of winning more flags were going to be greater elsewhere.

Got to agree with this. Bud wanted to be in Sydney the city. Bud loved Hawthorn being at Hawthorn the club, it was a location decision and a lot of players would have chosen the swans at the time given a choice of Sydney clubs.

He made the decision to contact the Swans after the 2012 Grand Final, but he did not actually sign with the Swans until after the 2013 Grand Final, and I could be wrong but I suspect an offer to Buddy was still on the table from Hawthorn around that time.

You're wrong. He was gone.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
He was really solid for 2013, 2014, 2015 and for about half of 2016. He struggled in a couple of big games, and also he tended to get injured, and usually, it took him a few weeks to find form again when coming back from injury. This lead to the perception he was not a good player, or a pea heart or whatever, bt when he was in form, he was always very good.
I’m guessing the AFL have some special Sydney rule which will allow his position to be replaced with another player.
Max Gawn

Feb 26, 2007
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
a bit of Justin Koschitzke about him i reckon. Could be a match winner on his day and could get on runs of 4-6 weeks where they looked amazing only to be followed by the same period of dissapointing/terrible weeks for any combinatiion of injury, being well beaten or just outright poor form.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Got to agree with this. Bud wanted to be in Sydney the city. Bud loved Hawthorn being at Hawthorn the club, it was a location decision and a lot of players would have chosen the swans at the time given a choice of Sydney clubs.

and it makes sense. I mean someone like Luke Breust, as good a player as he can be, he can walk to the shops, go out in the evening and generally go around and probably not get recognised, at least some of the time. Buddy though, there would have been no more recongised footballer in the state than Buddy, and it would have been rather hellish because every time he went anywhere, he would probably get swamped.

I could understand him wanting to move to Sydney, or Brisbane even, just so he could lead a reasonably normal life when not on the football field.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Longmire never liked Mitchell that much for some reason.
That is weird .... considering how much Clarko and the Hawks appreciate and admire his midfield work.

I think Tom's departure was similar to the circumstances behind JK leaving the Hawks where he was told by the coach you gotta earn your spot but was given a guarantee of getting more opportunity/money at another club.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That is weird .... considering how much Clarko and the Hawks appreciate and admire his midfield work.

I think Tom's departure was similar to the circumstances behind JK leaving the Hawks where he was told by the coach you gotta earn your spot but was given a guarantee of getting more opportunity/money at another club.

Well Mitchell was firmly in the best 22 in 2016, so there was no risk of Mitchell losing his spot, but even so Longmire never gave him the important jobs. I mean 1/3rd of the time Mitchell was our teams tagger.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

He never did seem to get an easy run of games at Sydney; perhaps because they’re already fairly heavy on contested midfield talent whereas Hawthorn had a clear role open for him.

I think he’s a great player, he’s a contested ball winner who will try his heart out each and every week. I’m not sure he’ll ever reach the type of level that your Martin / Dangerfield / Fyfe’s have over the last few years, but he’s in the top group of midfielders league-wide.

Great pickup for what, pick 14?

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well Mitchell was firmly in the best 22 in 2016, so there was no risk of Mitchell losing his spot, but even so Longmire never gave him the important jobs. I mean 1/3rd of the time Mitchell was our teams tagger.
Swans midfield is quality, Tom was behind a few and with Henney and Mills moving in down the track you can see the position the Swans were in with Tom. Thank you Swans we are stoked to have him, you owe us a couple!

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He never did seem to get an easy run of games at Sydney; perhaps because they’re already fairly heavy on contested midfield talent whereas Hawthorn had a clear role open for him.

I think he’s a great player, he’s a contested ball winner who will try his heart out each and every week. I’m not sure he’ll ever reach the type of level that your Martin / Dangerfield / Fyfe’s have over the last few years, but he’s in the top group of midfielders league-wide.

Great pickup for what, pick 14?

Yes, the Swans did some further trading with Port afterwards but essentially we got Florent for Mitchell.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Good news thank ****, pea heart and the club pissed that money down the drain

Karma does exist.

A massive slab of the AFL COLA slush fund flushed down the toilet on Tippett. Then again the AFL probably doesnt think so. Tippett did help the Swans stay at the top of the ladder and contend instead of rebuilding like other clubs. The fact he didnt win a flag isnt important to them just as long as they play deep into September and the NSW fans tune into AFL and lift the ratings.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is it just me or has there been an influx of players retiring in the pre season leaving their clubs short lately. No longer do you play in the reserves to help
Vickery (pre draft but cap space still used), Griffiths, Tippett. Common thread - all forward/ruck types with limited mobility, multiple injuries and who wouldn't have played unless there were injuries to several first choice players. Tigers have a right to be angry with Griffiths I think, the other 2 were probably pushed.

D35TROYA

Draftee
Jan 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At least Cameron should get a crack this year now
Looks the goods and I’ll be starting him in my fantasy team for sure now

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Having to let go of Mitchell hurts the most..with Tom in the team we could afford Parker to spend more time forward where is a difficult matchup for most teams because of his marking ability

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Fantastic handouts with Mills and Heeney just a pisstake.
*Yawn*. The academy has been explained a zillion times. Up to you to get your head around the detail Sunshine.

No mention of the astonishing number of other clubs' rejects we've turned into champions, likewise the extraordinary number of virtually unwanted draftees who have then shone at our club?

So yeah, selective.

Back