Oppo Camp Non-Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SYDNEY Swans ruckman Kurt Tippett has retired from AFL football, effective immediately.

The former Adelaide Crow told his teammates at a meeting on Monday morning that he hadn’t been able to fully recover from post-season ankle surgery and felt he could no longer compete at the AFL level.

The 30-year-old has struggled with injury for much of his time in Sydney and played just nine senior games last season and only 74 in his five seasons at the SCG.

“It’s really tough to leave a game and a club which I really love,” Tippett said.

“But the reality is that my body isn’t going to stand up to the rigors of professional football.

“As I’ve found out in the past 18 months or so, it’s impossible to play at the level you want without being fully fit.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/89bc6f0d5b716607cf3bf2d3a346b68b

SYDNEY Swans ruckman Kurt Tippett has retired from AFL football, effective immediately.

The former Adelaide Crow told his teammates at a meeting on Monday morning that he hadn’t been able to fully recover from post-season ankle surgery and felt he could no longer compete at the AFL level.

The 30-year-old has struggled with injury for much of his time in Sydney and played just nine senior games last season and only 74 in his five seasons at the SCG.

“It’s really tough to leave a game and a club which I really love,” Tippett said.

“But the reality is that my body isn’t going to stand up to the rigors of professional football.

“As I’ve found out in the past 18 months or so, it’s impossible to play at the level you want without being fully fit.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/89bc6f0d5b716607cf3bf2d3a346b68b

Tippett is one of the more maligned players in recent memory, probably due to the way he left Adelaide and his big salary, but he was certainly capable of pulling out a big game. A fit Tippett made the Swans a better team - given they'll be one of the teams we are competing with for top 4 this year the news is good for us.

Tippett is one of the more maligned players in recent memory, probably due to the way he left Adelaide and his big salary, but he was certainly capable of pulling out a big game. A fit Tippett made the Swans a better team - given they'll be one of the teams we are competing with for top 4 this year the news is good for us.

Not too good for the Swans though. Pulling the pin now during the preseason has left the Swans without the chance to draft a kid in his place.

2018 Pre-session retirements:
- Ben Griffith to take up a college scholarship and become an American football punter
- Kurt Tippett due to injury

Anyone else?

It's more reason to introduce a mid-season draft

2018 Pre-session retirements:
- Ben Griffith to take up a college scholarship and become an American football punter
- Kurt Tippett due to injury

Anyone else?

It's more reason to introduce a mid-season draft
Turn it up! .2% of all players have pulled the pin pre-season and you want to introduce a midseason draft.

Turn it up! .2% of all players have pulled the pin pre-season and you want to introduce a midseason draft.
They are going to introduce a midseason draft anyway - if Gil had his way it would be introduced this year.

Besides, I never said it was the only reason just another reason, especially when you also consider season-ending injuries that are beyond a teams control. And look at the numbers of other sports (cricket, basketball, netball, football/soccer) that all allow for the ability to recruit/draft players during the season to replace players out for the season with injury or to fill a gap in the rosters.

When a midseason draft is introduced I hope it has restrictions to it, such as teams are only awarded a draft pick to for replacing a player who is out for the season for reasons other than suspension based (season ending injury, retirement on medical grounds or reasons beyond control of the club or reasonable expectation that the club was aware that the retirement preseason was possible). Have a cut off date of say end round 9/10, and limit it to a maximum of 2 picks where a club meets requirements.

They are going to introduce a midseason draft anyway - if Gil had his way it would be introduced this year.

Besides, I never said it was the only reason just another reason, especially when you also consider season-ending injuries that are beyond a teams control. And look at the numbers of other sports (cricket, basketball, netball, football/soccer) that all allow for the ability to recruit/draft players during the season to replace players out for the season with injury or to fill a gap in the rosters.

When a midseason draft is introduced I hope it has restrictions to it, such as teams are only awarded a draft pick to for replacing a player who is out for the season for reasons other than suspension based (season ending injury, retirement on medical grounds or reasons beyond control of the club or reasonable expectation that the club was aware that the retirement preseason was possible). Have a cut off date of say end round 9/10, and limit it to a maximum of 2 picks where a club meets requirements.
They're talking about a mid-season trade period, not another draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have no option to fill. League should do something. Nearly as bad when they changed 3rd man up rules after the trade and draft period. Shambles, imagine if a club traded for Blicavs just beforehand then to have him be severely limited.

They have no option to fill. League should do something. Nearly as bad when they changed 3rd man up rules after the trade and draft period. Shambles, imagine if a club traded for Blicavs just beforehand then to have him be severely limited.
Is it any different to someone doing an ACL?

Is it any different to someone doing an ACL?
In the 3rd man up rule change yes it is, as the league can’t force ACLs on player. I understand what you’re saying though, I’d still argue that players doing knees in particular is just pure misfortune, punishing your club despite how good your list management or training schedule might be.

Might have been better for Geelong ;)

Still, Blitz has a new position now on the Wing, oh wait. . .

15a4bb33418dcf22991fca514087b275

Stringer Part 2

Nd1rwFm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back